Why become a member? ×

Set up issue with my American Special P Bass

Rusco

I can totally understand why the O.P feels a bit miffed , but allow me , if you will , to offer a slightly different perspective that may offer a little consolation . Yes , the shop could and probably should have either taken the neck off or at least removed the pickguard to make this adjustment , and should have asked the owners permission before chamfering the pickguard . However , that said , the pickguard is easily replacable with an identical one , and having the modified one could actually be an advantage in practice , as it should allow truss rod adjustments without the hassle of removing the neck or the pickguard . A friend of mine actually paid a luthier to perform that exact same modification on his Fender Custom Shop 1960 reissue Jazz Bass not too long ago . It's actually much easier to cause problems on a Fender bass by removing the neck frequently and the screw holes becoming slightly enlarged than it is to get a replacement scratchplate if you want to return this bass to original condition . Like other folks have said , see if you can get a new pickguard out of the shop for free or at a discount . Looking on the bright side , this could be an oppotunity for the O.P to learn how to make his own truss rod adjustments , and thus avoid the perils ( and expense ) of "pro " setups in future . Let's face it , anybody can call themselves a professional when it comes to guitar setups , because there is no professional body or authority to regulate such claims . The reality is that many of them are bloody useless .

As for the EBMM truss rod wheel , I really don't see what advantage it offers over a conventional truss rod that adjusts with an allen key . With a conventional truss rod you need an allen key to adjust it , whereas with an EBMM you can use anything that fits in the holes on the wheel ... like an allen key , for instance :lol: ! The problem with the truss rods in all EBMM basses I have ever adjusted is that the truss rod has to be[u][i] very[/i][/u] tight in order to straighten the neck . Not good in the long - term .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1375372206' post='2160479']
Let's face it , anybody can call themselves a professional when it comes to guitar setups , because there is no professional body or authority to regulate such claims . The reality is that many of them are bloody useless .

As for the EBMM truss rod wheel , I really don't see what advantage it offers over a conventional truss rod that adjusts with an allen key . With a conventional truss rod you need an allen key to adjust it , whereas with an EBMM you can use anything that fits in the holes on the wheel ... like an allen key , for instance :lol: ! The problem with the truss rods in all EBMM basses I have ever adjusted is that the truss rod has to be[u][i] very[/i][/u] tight in order to straighten the neck . Not good in the long - term .
[/quote]

Agreed with the 'pro' bit above. Re: the wheel, I personally just love how easy it is. I usually just use a very strong allen key or even a screwdriver....I've only had to do it twice and it worked a charm.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1375373167' post='2160504']
Agreed with the 'pro' bit above. Re: the wheel, I personally just love how easy it is. I usually just use a very strong allen key or even a screwdriver....I've only had to do it twice and it worked a charm.
[/quote]

I use a screwdriver in mine , and it is no bother , but I find the Am. St. Fender necks just as easy to adjust with the supplied truss rod tool . I suppose the real advantage of the wheel is that if you don't have the dedicated tool then you can use whatever else you can find that will turn the wheel . Sadowsky were the first basses I remember seeing with the wheel , from memory .

Edited by Dingus

Thank you for all the replies, the Fender email address and suggestions. Drilling the shop lock out to open the door.. I probably won't actually do that but love your thinking :-).

I'll email Fender for their opinion then I think its back to sunny Swindon to ask for a new pick guard.

Cheers.. R