Why become a member? ×

Status Quo

lojo

Never been into them, but never hated them either, so when offered a ticket to see them the other day, I accepted.

Well, what a fantastic gig ....

Basic guitars, not suitcases full of effect pedals, jokes about 3 chords and age.

Pub and Function bands debate if Johnny be good is to cheesy and should be buried with Mustang Sally, well Quo can get away with it for an encore!

Almost a breath of fresh air with regard to enjoying the clitche and not trying to be cool, different or inventive, just basic guitars and 8ths basslines, like it or lump it.

OK, I doubt I'll be playing any LPs any time soon, but for a fun live gig, well worth it, total respect to them, the whole band had a very entertaining spirit about them.

Well there's something about no frills rock isnt there. I saw them yonks ago and I've always been a prog fan and I totally loved it. I can't remember ever playing one of their records at home but I knew most of the tracks played that night.
It's good to see them still going for it and as much as i won't be going to see it, they have a film out soon too!

i grew up with the Quo & love them till this day !! Denim & t shirts & basic no frills guitar boogie .... ok they havent released an album ive enjoyed as much as the early stuff since Never Too Late except perhaps Heavy Traffic ....but I bought all the reissues .... Quo Live is probably the greatest Live album ever (mmmm maybe not but its right up there) & everybody shuld own a copy of 12 Gold Bars .... as I said I love the Quo .... right Im off to listen too Blue for you :D x

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1374244261' post='2146851']
It's great isn't it ?
I get really fed up with people dismissing some music as "Not relevant" but who really gives a sh*te ? music is fun & creative as well, if it feels great then listen to it or just do it.
[/quote]
Dead right.

My only surprise is the OP's surprise that the gig was good...these guys know what they are doing, they have sat nicely near the top of the rock n roll food chain for 40 years! They are top professionals.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1374244985' post='2146865']

Dead right.

My only surprise is the OP's surprise that the gig was good
[/quote]

Yeah, just being honest , I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy 1.5 hrs of it , but I could have done it all again after

Some of their more recent albums have been a real return to form IMHO and I'm not a particularly blinkered Quo fan. There are some tracks on Heavy Traffic, Quid Pro Quo and even the current movie soundtrack album that wouldn't be out of place on classic 70's Quo albums, they have gone back to some richer, darker material in places after a lot of years of frothy so so stuff in the80's and 90's. As for live they are still a slick hard working outfit and I still think that Rossi is a better guitarist than a lot would think, he just doesn't make a big thing of it.

They took half of our set in encores at the Reading Festival years and years ago. Bastards.

Not a nice experience trying to follow 2 hours of that in our prog rock band!

Anyway, great band. I love any music that only contains 3 chords and 2 rhythms.

We used to play a bit of Quo in the ceilidh band - the middle 8 from "Burning Bridges". Great band, I saw them a couople of years ago in Brum and thoroughly enjoyed it. Don't think I've got any of their stuff on anything more recent than vinyl though.

To be honest , their best days are long behind them and they could be accused of being a bit of a cabaret act noways by some more cynical observers , but never forget that in their heyday back in the 1970's Status Quo were a serious band , and surely one of the best live acts in the World at that time , bar none . And loud . Very , very loud :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKe2OfXLxuc[/media]

Surely one a the greatest tracks ever . Denim on denim is a great look for a man , too .

Edited by Dingus

I saw them a half-dozen times in the early '70s - first time at a great little venue called the Queen's Club in the basement of the Queens Hotel in Westcliff in 1972 when they were promoting the album 'Piledriver'. They had made a couple of tentative RnB records with Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon and Dog Of Two Head, but for me 'Piledriver' was the best album they ever made. The tracks 'Don't Waste My Time' and 'Big Fat Mama' are just classics and to my ears not been bettered. Back then they were fresh, energetic, totally on top of their game and one of the best live acts going. Having seen them during that era when they were so very, very good it has kind of spoilt all the subsequent stuff which, for my taste, varies between hackneyed and downright vaudeville. But I have immense affection for the band, despite them being largely responsible for my hearing loss.