Why become a member? ×

Lemmy Unwell

spongebob

Don't know if anybody's been following the updates, but Motorhead have today cancelled more dates due to Lemmy's health.

Worrying times - there's a lot more about it here -

[url="http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=192006"]http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=192006[/url]

Lem is one of the main reasons I picked up a bass in the first place - I really hope he's back up and running again soon.

Get well soon Lemmy! :)[size=4] [/size]

I first met Lemmy when I was eleven years old , and he had been caining it for decades even back then . I am now well into my fourties and he has been caining it for all the years inbetween . The man is indestructable , but get well soon , anyway .

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1372873808' post='2131064']
I always worry I'm going to see this topic somewhere.

[/quote]

Me too. Strangely I was only talking about the likelihood of something going pear-shaped about 2 hrs ago.

Lemmy taught me to play via Space Ritual. He was my earliest and biggest influence, although I don't play like him now. I've met him twice and he was a gent. All the best to you Lem!

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1372876496' post='2131091']
Me too. Strangely I was only talking about the likelihood of something going pear-shaped about 2 hrs ago.

Lemmy taught me to play via Space Ritual. He was my earliest and biggest influence, although I don't play like him now. I've met him twice and he was a gent.
[/quote]
Same here - a huge influence & a great bloke.
He visited my mum in hospital once, which was a bit of a headf***.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1372882960' post='2131215']
Tell us more!
[/quote]
Well, Lemmy used to spend quite a bit of time in Cardiff before he moved to the US as he had friends here.
One of them was a guy who owned a motorbike repair & customising place close to a little shop where my mum used to work.
This guy always used to buy his cigarettes & stuff at the shop & Lemmy always went in there when he was in Cardiff. They had a bit of a joke thing going as my mum hates snakes & Lemmy used to say he'd bring one of his snakes in to the shop for her to see.

By coincidence his friends wife & my mum were both in hospital at the same time and when when he found out my mum was there he actually took the time to go in & see her on the ward, even going so far as to take a bag with him that he pretended had a snake in it.

How brilliant is that? :)

My mum absolutely adored him, she thought he was a really lovely bloke.

Hope he gets well soon.
I remember he used to always be hanging around the Clarendon bar in Hammersmith in the early 80's and I always found it strange that Kim Wilde used to knock about with him there. Seemed like cheese and chalk lol.
He was more a regular at that time than we were. and he always had time for anyone that wanted to talk to him.. Tho we thought we were too cool to actual bother him lol.

I remember him talking about a procedure that Keith Richards had done where they take all your blood out and replace it with clean blood. Apparently, after tests, the doctor said he couldn't do it for Lemmy, he said that if he tried to replace his blood it would kill him and if they tried to put his blood into a normal human it would kill them!

Was it 2005 when he was told he had diabetes?

No one is indestructible, not even the mighty Lemmy. He was a major influence in me taking up the Bass and I've been buying his albums since 1987, it would be weird to not be able to anymore.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1372876496' post='2131091']

Lemmy taught me to play via Space Ritual. He was my earliest and biggest influence, although I don't play like him now. I've met him twice and he was a gent. All the best to you Lem!
[/quote]
Another Space Ritual student , never met him though.If you haven't read "White Line Fever" do so.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1372888806' post='2131364']

Well, Lemmy used to spend quite a bit of time in Cardiff before he moved to the US as he had friends here.
One of them was a guy who owned a motorbike repair & customising place close to a little shop where my mum used to work.
This guy always used to buy his cigarettes & stuff at the shop & Lemmy always went in there when he was in Cardiff. They had a bit of a joke thing going as my mum hates snakes & Lemmy used to say he'd bring one of his snakes in to the shop for her to see.

By coincidence his friends wife & my mum were both in hospital at the same time and when when he found out my mum was there he actually took the time to go in & see her on the ward, even going so far as to take a bag with him that he pretended had a snake in it.

How brilliant is that? :)

My mum absolutely adored him, she thought he was a really lovely bloke.
[/quote]

What a brilliant story, Rhys! :-)

Met him last year even got as far as holding and playing one of his Rics, the lighter wood of the two he usually is seen with, which was the most surreal night of my life to date!

If it wasn't for the fact that I was driving I'd have been having drinks with him too, we got talking about basses well half of the stuff was about basses the other half, I'm not sure if it was even English! The man was utterly destroyed! He did sober up while on stage!

In fact thinking back he looked especially rough that night, very ill and sickly looking! I hope to god he's on the mend as he's such a nice bloke as already echoed above!

I wonder if he'll stop adding the "but apparently I am!" after "I don't want to live for ever" when they play Ace Of Spades, live?

At 68 he seems old for his generation of rockers but after getting this far it would be a shame of he couldn't eke out another 10 or 15 years. Perhaps I'm being selfish.

This will be of absolutly no interest to 99% of you, but since I've read about Lemmy's health issues and found out he had an ICD[b] ([/b]
Implantable Cardioverter Defibrilator) fitted last year, I've been wondering how he's managing with playing live.
I had one of these fitted about three years ago and one of the major problems you have to deal with is that you can't be near strong magnetic forces. This means avoiding things like airport scanners, those anti-theft gates in shop doorways, and of course speakers. I was told that even if I'm just watching a gig, I shouldn't stand too near any speaker stacks as I run the risk of altering my units settings which could mean either the unit may not work if needed, the pacemaker part of the unit could change my heart rate, or worst case scenario, I could recieve an electric shock directly to my heart when I dont need one.
Now in general use with my 1 x 15 cab I'm pretty much ok as I can keep a reasonable distance from it, but onstage with a massive sound system I'm not sure how Lemmy would get around this. Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

More deeply distressing news - set cut short as Lem couldn't continue.......

[url="http://ultimateclassicrock.com/motorhead-cut-concert-short-lemmys-health/"]http://ultimateclassicrock.com/motorhead-cut-concert-short-lemmys-health/[/url]

Really hope he's back on form soon.

A Space Ritual initiate here as well.

I know he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes some time ago - not a nice disease - and his attitude was 'Well, you've got to die of something'. I take it he wasn't cutting back on the Malboroughs and Johnnie Walker...

He IS rock 'n roll - saw the Beatles at the Cavern Club, was a roadie to Hendrix, shared a flat with Noel Redding, sang Silver Machine, tried to teach Sid Vicious the bass, good mates with John Lydon, the Damned, the Ramones, Dave Grohl... Oh yeah, he's the guy in Motorhead as well. :-)

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1375617190' post='2163444']
More deeply distressing news - set cut short as Lem couldn't continue.......

[url="http://ultimateclassicrock.com/motorhead-cut-concert-short-lemmys-health/"]http://ultimateclass...-lemmys-health/[/url]

Really hope he's back on form soon.
[/quote]
He's a brave fella for even trying to play, I hope that he takes a break & gets better. He's a top fella & a living legend.