Why become a member? ×

Rolling Stones at Glastonbury

timmo

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1372673219' post='2128281']
To be fair, I don't think we can criticise a band that has been going for this long, providing many generations with a 'rock n roll dream'.

I don't really listen to the Stones much, but I have a lot of time and respect for them.

Ageing rockers? Oh yes, but anyone critising needs to assess what they will be doing at 69/70. Most likely, sat at home commenting on other bands and playing in local bars, (that's if you are lucky!).

There will be a time in 10-15 years when the legends won't exist anymore. We won't have big classic bands anymore, just thousands of small NME bands who capture audiences for one album then disappear. That's happened in my lifetime, and I'm only 32. The only 'big' bands who might be going are bands such as REM, Coldplay, Muse, and big pop acts. I'd hesitate to add Kings of Leon into that list as they don't qualify. They were pretty damn brilliant at first but I don't think they will reach that stage.

Good on the Stones for still being alive, still rocking out, and still captivating a huge audience. I hope I can be as lucky when I'm their age.
[/quote]

Er i think REM have called it a day

One morning during the Festival a Spitfire flew over our campsite and did a barrel roll. It was a pleasure and privilege to see this rare old beautiful beast that played a huge part in aviation history still flying today. A Spitfire would get the living sh#t kicked out of it by a modern fighter jet.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1372683990' post='2128474']

Why didn`t you want to say? You can always tell me if I am wrong, I won`t mind. Did you see it on TV? I have just watched the iplayer again, and no Paint it Black or Give Me Shelter .Looking at the set list, it was early and the tv coverage only started with Miss you.
[/quote]
You've been a busy little detective. Sorry mate I was certain they played gimme shelter on the tele. Alcohol and recollection have never been good bed fellows.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1372692061' post='2128656']
Sorry mate I was certain they played gimme shelter on the tele. Alcohol and recollection have never been good bed fellows.
[/quote]

AFAIK, only those who subscribe to Virgin's TV service got the full concert. BBC viewers will have received the truncated version. :)

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1372706985' post='2128949']
Lots of comments about them being an average pub band. Never seen a pub band pull off a Stones cover with the swagger and roll of the Stones, ever. Including the bands I've played in!
[/quote]
Dr Feelgood were a pub band and i think that they would have blown the Stones off of any stage.

[b]RS Setlist GLASTONBURY June 29 2013[/b]
Jumpin’ Jack Flash
It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll (But I Like It)
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
Glastonbury Girl
Wild Horses
Doom And Gloom
Can’t You Hear Me Knocking (with Mick Taylor)
Honky Tonk Women
You Got The Silver (with Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Happy (with Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Miss You
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
2000 Light Years From Home
Sympathy For The Devil
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
[b]ENCORE[/b]
You Can’t Always Get What You Want (with the Voce Choir and members of the London Youth Choir)
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)
[b]The Rolling Stones 50 & Counting touring band:[/b]
Mick Jagger
Keith Richards
Charlie Watts
Ronnie Wood
Mick Taylor
Darryl Jones
Chuck Leavell
Bobby Keys
Tim Ries
Bernard Fowler
Lisa Fischer
Matt Clifford

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1372692061' post='2128656']
You've been a busy little detective. Sorry mate I was certain they played gimme shelter on the tele. Alcohol and recollection have never been good bed fellows.
[/quote]
Well, I had to check as I like the 2 songs , so I watched again to make sure I wasn`t in a cider haze. Apparently someone said Virgin played the whole set, so maybe you saw it there. Whatever the case, I enjoyed the limited set twice. I really don`t mind if you point out where I am wrong as I have been on many occasion.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1372708187' post='2128988']
Dr Feelgood were a pub band and i think that they would have blown the Stones off of any stage.
[/quote]

I see your point, but Dr Feelgood wasn't really the kind of band I had in mind, I was thinking more of your weekend warrior pub band. But, still, I can't see Wilko and company putting on the kind of gig I saw the Stones do in the 90s, simply as they don't have the tunes.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1372700634' post='2128802']

Wow that sounds like a cool job.
[/quote]

Incredible as it goes, very small close knit community, he flew the chase chopper on the Olympics opening ceremony, followed Queenie through Tower Bridge.

On the downside he was a friend of the chap who binned his chopper in London....

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1372708741' post='2129005']

Well, I had to check as I like the 2 songs , so I watched again to make sure I wasn`t in a cider haze. Apparently someone said Virgin played the whole set, so maybe you saw it there. Whatever the case, I enjoyed the limited set twice. I really don`t mind if you point out where I am wrong as I have been on many occasion.
[/quote]
That wasn't my intention at all, I was simply enjoying the banter and trying to have the craic. I fookin love you Gumbo......

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1372708813' post='2129008']
I had recorded the bbc coverage and some of it was cringeworthy. Having said that, they have a certain swagger about them but Mick Taylor seemed, on occasion, to be on a different planet.
[/quote]
Yes he did, what was he wearing. He's the only one who weighed more than 9st. In fact I'd say he weighed the same as the rest of the band in total.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1372708979' post='2129012']
I see your point, but Dr Feelgood wasn't really the kind of band I had in mind, I was thinking more of your weekend warrior pub band. But, still, I can't see Wilko and company putting on the kind of gig I saw the Stones do in the 90s, simply as they don't have the tunes.
[/quote]
Yes i realise that and you're right about the tunes. I think a lot of it is also down to the venue. I saw Dr Feelgood in many pubs in the 70s which was the environment where they were at there best. They weren't at their best in a large venue.

I always thought of this forum as reasonably well informed, but some of the comments on this thread verge on comic parody. As far as I can tell no-one commenting on this thread (up till now) was there and so are basing their opinions on a tv mix of less than half of the full show.

This is my favourite........

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1372614540' post='2127729']
I dunno. I've always found them pretty soul-less live (although to be fair, I've never seen them in the flesh). Lots of attitude, but that alone can't carry it for me.
[/quote]

[b]You don't know, you cannot judge - you have never seen them live!! [/b]

I was in the crowd at Glastonbury and my opinion (for what it's worth) they more than lived up to the hype. Jagger in particular exceeded all expectations and only his face showed his age. Yes, there were a few dodgy moments but in general they kept a huge crowd thoroughly entertained and while I have seen crowds dancing and jumping around before, never have I seen such a wild spontaneous outburst of dancing as when "Satisfaction" started.

This was a legendary band, on a legendary stage at a legendary event - the Stones lived up to that!

Edited by MetricMike

[quote name='MetricMike' timestamp='1372789175' post='2130059']
I always thought of this forum as reasonably well informed, but some of the comments on this thread verge on comic parody. As far as I can tell no-one commenting on this thread (up till now) was there and so are basing their opinions on a tv mix of less than half of the full show.

I was in the crowd at Glastonbury and my opinion (for what it's worth) they more than lived up to the hype. Jagger in particular exceeded all expectations and only his face showed his age. Yes, there were a few dodgy moments but in general they kept a huge crowd thoroughly entertained and while I have seen crowds dancing and jumping around before, never have I seen such a wild spontaneous outburst of dancing as when "Satisfaction" started.

This was a legendary band, on a legendary stage at a legendary event - the Stones lived up to that!
[/quote]

Would you describe the Stones as legends ?

Edited by Dingus

[/quote]

You're forgetting that I have ears.... which, despite dodgy TV mixes, can tell me if I like the music they're playing.

I love a lot of Stones records. Gimme Shelter's groove is one of the best there is. But... musically, I've never heard them even begin to tap into that groove on live recordings of it. That's one example.

Wether or not the sheer scale of the event compensates for that or not, I cannot say. Hence the disclaimer.

The last time I saw the Stones live was in Hyde Park 1969 - just after Brian Jones died and I think it was Mick Taylors first gig with them.
IMO that was not a great performance but with everything that was going on at the time it was considered to be good.

However, as an old fart who is 6 months younger than, of similar build and with a similar sartorial dress sense to Mr.Taylor, I could take great exeption to the comments made - but I won't - I would just reiterate that I enjoyed what I watched on the Beeb, it was live and me and them had a good time.

Ithangyoo......................... :)

Edited by Jazzneck

[/quote]
I was there, and as i said much earlier in this thread it was great.