Why become a member? ×

Just Been Insulted (I Think)...!

Hobbayne

I answered an ad for a bass player and went along to audition. There was a few numbers for me to learn including some Lenny Kravitz and Foo Fighters stuff.
I noticed the guitarist was playing the wrong chords in one song and I made the mistake of correcting him telling him it was E minor not major he needed to play.
After the end they said to me "Well done! you really know your stuff, - why are you only playing the bass?" :blink:
....................Speechless!............................. :blink:

Heh heh heh!

But seriously folks... IMO playing bass well requires a [i]greater[/i] level of musicality than for guitar, so the guy didn't so much insult you as show up his own ignorance! Did you get the gig?

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1370697137' post='2104527']
I answered an ad for a bass player and went along to audition. There was a few numbers for me to learn including some Lenny Kravitz and Foo Fighters stuff.
I noticed the guitarist was playing the wrong chords in one song and I made the mistake of correcting him telling him it was E minor not major he needed to play.
After the end they said to me "Well done! you really know your stuff, - why are you only playing the bass?" :blink:
[/quote]
Ha ha, You haven't been insulted, but you did insult him.

This has happened to me twice at auditions in last couple of years.

Onetime I merely said that, if I joined the band, we would need to come to an agreement about what the chords were.

The other time time I straight out said that the chords were wrong.

I was playing keys & then guitar a few weeks back & one of the guitarists said "you're really good on other instruments, why do you play bass?", to which I replied "because someone needs to make the singer sound good".

My teacher told me a couple of weeks ago that bass playing was easy if you just want to plonk it all day, but to play it well is harder than playing the guitar as a guitarist will only sound good if he has a good bassist to hold it together. Not sure if he was buttering me up, but I am happy to relate the story to the guitarists I know

[/quote]
My answer would have been "It's BECAUSE I know my stuff that I play the bass"

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1370700181' post='2104580']
My teacher told me a couple of weeks ago that bass playing was easy if you just want to plonk it all day, but to play it well is harder than playing the guitar as a guitarist will only sound good if he has a good bassist to hold it together. Not sure if he was buttering me up, but I am happy to relate the story to the guitarists I know
[/quote]

I think there's an element of truth in that - bass is easy to get started on but not at all easy to master.

Yeah, amateur guitarist buddy of mine could not understand why I, a pro musician, would want to start playing bass. :o

Explaining him will be expensive, as I can only keep him calm enough for long enough over a glass of Lagavulin. Sigh. :)

best,
bert

[/quote]

You're lucky he acknowledged you were you right. Last practice I attended with a covers band the guitarist/singer dropped the key half a step. Hence one would expect to just shift position...but no, apparently the B I was playing was all wrong, I should be playing a G. Hmmmm, really...coming from the man still struggling with Molly's Chambers...

" why are you only playing the bass?" :blink:
[/quote]

Well they had a point....
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/bassonemanband.jpg/][IMG]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/9977/bassonemanband.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Garry

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1370765172' post='2105156']
Rule 1: The bass player is right.
Rule 2: When the bass player is wrong, see rule 1.
[/quote]
Now this, I like.

Bass players tend to have the "harmonic" ear that usually only Keyboard players have

But.... if you see local bands the bass is more than likely going to be the weakest...
either from a technical point of view or they don't know what the EQ section does or even what the notes are on the bass
and what constitutes a scale or chord.

Not as bad as the mistake I once made. . .

Had an audition with a band looking for both bass & drums. The drummer & I didn't know each other but locked in really well and immediately got on with each other.

We nailed all the songs we'd been given to learn & picked up some others really quickly. Everything was going well, the band guitarist was talking about best nights to get together, which new songs to learn etc.

As we were packing up I noticed he had a Spurs scarf in his bag. I asked him, in a very friendly way, if he was a Spurs fan. He immediately turned on me and asked why I wanted to know & if I was an Arsenal fan. I, laughingly said I was a season ticket holder. He then spun on the drummer and said he supposed he was a Gooner as well - the drummer smiled and said that actually he was a season ticket holder at Chelsea.

The guitarist stomped off without another word and the pair of us got a very curt rejection the next day saying we weren't the sort of people he was looking for. . .