Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day - We will not bow to any sponsors....

Low End Bee

Thanks to the lovely chaps at [url="http://www.eastwoodguitars.co.uk"]http://www.eastwoodguitars.co.uk[/url] ,who obviously recognise a trashy retro band when they see one, Sam Jetsonic and I have shiny new toys to play with.

I've just had a couple of hours with my Stormbird and it's great. Lovely fret job, nice chunky neck, hardly any neck dive and nice beefy tones. I love the metallic blue too. Came with a cool case as well. What's not to like? Well the bridge is a bit of a pain to tweak but that's Gibson's fault originally. I might go for a hipshot upgrade if I really can't get on with it. I wouldn't give the supplied strings to a QPR supporter. A played in set of D'Addario pro steels transformed it. Weight is a bit heavier than my Precision but that's an exceptionally light one.
I was a bit worried about this endorsement lark in that I would be lumbered with a lemon. It's really very good though and is much better for clown whoring at gigs than a sunburst P bass.

Apologies for the dodgy camera phone pics.

Sam has gone for this Sidejack DLX which looks good enough to eat. Knitting needle wobbler bar not shown.

Thanks all. A pity the fantastic candy paint doesn't come across in the pics.

I had a little tinker last night and and managed to get to grips with the 3 point bridge and it's a player now. What a compromise design that is though! Anyone else do a replacement apart from Hipshot?
Loving the sounds it puts out. I may switch the volume and tone to two volumes as that's more useful for what I want out of it.

Might push my luck and see what they'll do me on a Hi-Flyer bass to cure my short scale gas too ;)

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1370534728' post='2102367']

I had a little tinker last night and and managed to get to grips with the 3 point bridge and it's a player now. What a compromise design that is though! Anyone else do a replacement apart from Hipshot?

[/quote]

Supertone according to Muzz over in the fenderbird thread.

Like the look of yer bass, well smart!
The mosrite vibe of the guitar would force a very low slung strap ala Johnny ramone, cool!

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1371213725' post='2111270']
Supertone according to Muzz over in the fenderbird thread.

Like the look of yer bass, well smart!
The mosrite vibe of the guitar would force a very low slung strap ala Johnny ramone, cool!
[/quote]

Err... the [url=http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=264]Supertone[/url] is the Hipshot one.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1371214436' post='2111279']

Err... the [url=http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=264]Supertone[/url] is the Hipshot one.
[/quote]
Aha, thanx BRX, I stand corrected.
Cheers,
Norm

We used the Eastwoods for the first time in band rehearsal last night. The bass is best with both pickups on when it sounds like a fat Jazz. I had to back off the lo mids a bit in comparison to the P bass. Nice sound though. Very growly. The neck pickup on it's own is a useful big sound too. The bridge pickup soloed is in truth a bit guitary and not very nice. The neck has settled down and I've even managed to set up the stupid 3 pointer for a nice action.

The 6 string is great. In truth you would be hard pressed to tell the difference sonically between it and Sam's old Gordon Smith. This is good because that's a great sounding guitar. The added bonus is the trem is very useable and more surprisingly very stable in tuning. Even when he did a bit of dive bombing.

Good sounding, nice playing very giggable instruments. Result.