Why become a member? ×

Chipped the paintwork on my bass! F***!

SevenSeas

Well as it goes, accidents happen. I've managed to take a (I have to admit) very small chip out of the paintwork on my Ernie Ball Stingray, it's unbelievably annoying because i'm so use to keeping my stuff in mint condition.

Does anyone know any cheap ways in which this can be fixed? (It's exposed right down to the wood?)

Cheers,
Andy.

Either use it and it'll get damaged through general use or keep it in the case to keep it mint. There's no middle ground!

And as far as fixing it, I don't think there's an easy and cheap way to fix a chip that major, but I may be wrong... :unsure:

Did the same with my Custom P. Bumcheese! But as Nigel says, there are more important things to think about. And since it [i]has [/i]happened, you can stop worrying about when your pristine bass is going to get its first ding! Consider it as the start of a long 'relic' process... everything put together sooner or later falls apart...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Duarte' timestamp='1370191817' post='2097396']
Apply a small amount of clear nail varnish to the wood and immediate surrounding area. It will prevent the chip cracking any further.
[/quote]

That's a good wheeze. I'll do that - thanks.
As I'm a bang-it-on-the-table raging tranny, I have loads of nail varnish in the house.

My brand new fretless arrived with some chips in the lacquer through the postal system.... Not the shops fault, not my fault, just bad luck!

I've decided it instantly has "character" ;)

Ultimately instruments are for playing IMHO, so if they have a scuff here and there, so be it! Ultmately it's the sound that is king!

I feel your pain. Just put multiple dings in my hitherto immaculate P-Bass, and learned an important-but-otherwise-obvious lesson: don't wear cufflinks whilst playing the bass, especially if you tend to thump it for effect. Now hand me that dunce's cap...

: (

BB

Edited by borisbrain

My P slipped off a stand onto a tiled floor. Took a nice chunk out of the poly down to the wood. Mrs H assisted with gluing back in with nail varnish (more forgiving than superglue she said) and now, looks ok. Felt sick at the time, but if you use and enjoy it, it's going to get the odd scar, so I'm over it.

I would go with the bulk of the other posts and live with it and look at it as your first step towards a genuine relic.

If you really want to get it repaired have a word with the likes of Revive or Chips Away or Dent Wizard they are all automotive smart repairers and they can achieve some fantastic results depending on the colours they are working with

I think I posted something similar when I put a dent in my old 1976 Gibson Grabber - it already had it's fair share of bumps and lumps, but I'd been of the mind to try and not add to them!

Then, as now, people did point out that these things happen. They're regrettable when they do, but this is what happens when you use your basses. Certainly, it's a very painful feeling, but it's one you just have to live with; as, unless you're sealing the bass away to get out and look at from time to time, this is what will invariably happen to even the most cautious of us.

You could try some clear nail varnish to seal the lump, but beyond that I wouldn't panic. You could get it fixed, but you'd likely pay out of all proportion to the damage - and not add any more value to the instrument.

It is annoying, though, I can totally empathise.

Upsetting as that 1st ding on your own bass it's still better than doing it to someone else's! I remember when the nut cracked on my brand new Yamaha RBX765a about 15 years ago and I took it back to AOS Norwich to get it sorted. They kindly provided a bass to use (a sea foam green Yamaha Attidude) to get me through that night's gig which was a gesture I appreciated but I really didn't like the bass even though it was the proper expensive billy sheehan job! Still not quite sure how but at some point during that gig the borrowed bass managed to pick up a big nasty deep scratch right on the front of the body! Fortunately when I took it back thay were absolutely fine about it as they had insurance for that kind of thing but I remember feeling really sick with worry on the way there that I'd have to pay for it as I was a lowly college student at the time with bugger all income!

I just have a slight problem with this thread and similar threads. The OP always lies about what caused the dent, and then the helpful but naive BCers omit to mention that one must remove any residue of human DNA before applying nail varnish.
Hereby corrected.
;)

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1370204830' post='2097628']...always lies about what caused the dent...one must remove any residue of human DNA...
[/quote]

That's British understatement, that's all. We feel no need to state the obvious... :mellow: