Why become a member? ×

Why are you frustrated as a bassist?

xilddx

Not everyone is a musician, and let's face it, unless we are content and believe we will never be able to fully express ourselves on our instruments, we are frustrated as musicians. We can't float the boat quickly enough, or at all. Not every note satisfies. We wish the beautiful mistake was deliberate, or the deliberate was a beautiful mistake, depending on your personal aesthetic, approach to learning, and confidence. We mistake passion for ability, ability for passion, wondering if people will dance to our new grooves, needing affirmation of some sort.

You are probably a frustrated musician, but what is it that stops you accepting that the way you approach life and music is what you are? And stops you accepting and hearing your unique voice for what it is? Preventing you from developing your own truth as a musician and as a musical person. What makes you doubt your capacity to delight yourself, and touch other people?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1364342942' post='2025308']
Not everyone is a musician, and let's face it, unless we are content and believe we will never be able to fully express ourselves on our instruments, we are frustrated as musicians. We can't float the boat quickly enough, or at all. Not every note satisfies. We wish the beautiful mistake was deliberate, or the deliberate was a beautiful mistake, depending on your personal aesthetic, approach to learning, and confidence. We mistake passion for ability, ability for passion, wondering if people will dance to our new grooves, needing affirmation of some sort.

You are probably a frustrated musician, but what is it that stops you accepting that the way you approach life and music is what you are? And stops you accepting and hearing your unique voice for what it is? Preventing you from developing your own truth as a musician and as a musical person. What makes you doubt your capacity to delight yourself, and touch other people?
[/quote]
Nige, perhaps a lot of this does apply to some people here but I'm just a guy who plays a bit of bass in occasionally gigging bands. I'm not frustrated, I dont expect to express myself fully, I don't have a unique voice or expect to, yet I do sometimes delight myself and I do sometimes touch other people or at least make them dance.

But I don't and can't take it so seriously.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1364343711' post='2025321']
Questioning one's self is a part of being an artist. Growth is a matter of addressing the flaws but not letting them overcome you. As far as the final outcome, that is perspective and that's always in flux.
[/quote]
This...

To be a good musician you need an ego the size of a small planet to drive you to be as good as you can be, yet you are inevitably led to doubt whether you are as good as you would like to think you are! I'm afraid that insecurity is the natural state for any artist or musician, which is why we get so affected by criticism or indeed praise...

Edited by peteb

[/quote]

because of myself.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1364342942' post='2025308']...what is it that stops you accepting that the way you approach life and music is what you are? And stops you accepting and hearing your unique voice for what it is? Preventing you from developing your own truth as a musician and as a musical person. What makes you doubt your capacity to delight yourself, and touch other people?
[/quote]

Simple, really: the cold hard light of reality. Being old is a help, too. I got over the 'I'm special' bit when I was around 2 years old, so I've never known the joys and pains of the ego-trip swings and roundabouts. Being a drummer helps, too. We're a very modest breed (normal; we're the best... :mellow: ).

You are probably a frustrated musician, but what is it that stops you accepting that the way you approach life and music is what you are?
[/quote]

Nothing at all :)

I'm content and happy with my musical ability and am lucky that others are as well.

As for my approach to life, well it's perhaps a little out of the ordinary but I wouldn't want to change it, and that's the important thing.

Some really interesting topics coming from you lately man! :)

I'm fairly happy with my ability at the moment. There are a lot of things I'd like to do that I can't, but i'm happy being at the level I am, and the fact that I can only improve is a nice thought. A lot of why I have been frustrated at times is probably due to the fact that I see or hear another musician do something, but be unable to myself. I calmed down a lot once I realised that if I really want to achieve something, I should just stop whinging and practice :lol:

I'm not frustrated as I appreciate that my journey as a bassist is one of small improvements, when I can see these improvements, I smile.

I think to be frustrated you must worry that your learning and growth has stopped.

Me, I know no matter how much I develop I will always have something to learn, and will always be able to grow. So I will keep playing with a big grin on my face!

Yep, I'm frustrated. I read some BC and see a reference to Esperanza Spalding and watch some classy playing... then pick up the bass and it's back to "Crash Course Bass" riffs, scales and "Star-spangled banner"... One day... one day...

Edited by Grangur

What frustrates me more is the way that the mundane things in life impinge on the time that I have to play and enjoy music.

One of the problems of being "middle aged" (as I found out that I was yesterday...) is that you have wider responsibilities than simply indulging yourself (ambiguity partly intended!).

My job in particular seems to be taking more out of me than it ever did before. When I get home I just want to cook a nice meal, drink lots of beer/wine/whisky, watch a bit of TV.... and by that time I'm usually asleep on the sofa.

Christ, I'm boring [i]myself[/i] now! :blush:

I get frustrated because I don't have the time or the money to devote to music. I love playing with other people but just have too many other commitments that aren't going to go away.

I'd love to be a full-time musician but I am realistic enough about my own abilities to know that I wouldn't be able to make a good enough living at it. :(

I'm not frustrated as a bassist. I have no doubt in my ability as one either. Put me on a stage with what some would consider the finest guitarists and drummers on the planet and I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Playing bass ans singing on a stage is as natural as breathing to me. What anyone else thinks about me as a performer doesn't interest me. I'm right. They're wrong. I have enough experience and confidence to be able to say and feel that.

I was , however , very frustrated as a songwriter who spent much time and money trying to get a publishing deal. In a nutshell I was told to be original to get through the first door - at which point the second door was slammed in my face because , as I was told by the exact same people who encouraged me to be original , I should have been seeking to emulate what everyone else was doing. That happened frequently and consistantly.

I would have loved to have made an honest livng as a songwriter. One likely explanation as to why I haven't is because I'm not good enough. That I can deal with that fine. Another likely explanation is I had no power base - no foot in the door - no chaperone - no mentor - no break. There was just me writing songs with no clue as to what to do next. I can understand that too.

But why worry. Nobody died.

Music's good. I love making it , though I don't care to listen to it much and when I stop doing it I won't miss it. I'm not someone who 'needs' a particular thing - or a particular person - in my life to feel complete.

Edited by Dr.Dave

Sometimes I get a bit frustrated that I'm a bit fumble fisted and somewhat lacking in the theory dept.

But mostly I'm surprised and delighted that I learned to play an instrument at all at my time of life. Had consecutive rehearsals with 2 different bands on Mon night. At times I almost felt like I was having an out of body experience. I was almost looking at myself thinking 'I cannot believe this is me doing this!'.
Especially as I'm doing BVs with the side project band. I felt like a total rock star singing and playing at the same time!
I do live in a world of fantasy at times, but it's a happy place to be!

What really frustrates me is my inabillity to write songs, I find a great riff and then keep working at it until I turn it into something that has already been written....drives me potty don't know why I do it to myself but every time I do the same thing!

Some days I can play or write something brilliant and it seems effortless. Then there are days where it seems like I can barely string 2 notes together.

What frustrates me us that I clearly have the ability to be the player that I want to be but I can't seem to access that ability on demand. It's probably linked to tides or some similar sh*t.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1364413257' post='2026215']
It's probably linked to tides or some similar sh*t.
[/quote]

Unbelievable! Have you forgotten all about biorhythms, man? ;-)

Seriously though, I can recognise this, and from my personal experience can only say that the level of the "highs" as well as the level of the "lows" seem to rise over time, and that the frequency at which these "lows" appear goes down over time as well.
Dunno your age or experience, but hope this is the case for you as well.

As to frustrations: none as a bassist - other than lack of practising.

best,
bert

Hey Bert,

You're right, the magic times outweigh the car crashes these days. Most of the time I look back on my 25 years of playing and appreciate just how far I've come as a player and, dare I say it, a musician.

To me, It's like trying to express myself to non English speaking people, I know what i want to say, but i can't say it in their language.

I should have leant the language first rather stumble my way along by using Charades,

Hope that makes sense :D

I am frustrated as (1) I am not very proficient (2) I wish I was motivated to practice to get better (instead of sit on internet ...) and (3) even when I have tried to understand theory (like whats Aeolian, Dorian etc?) I forget the whole lot a week or two later. All of the above means I am very much a root-5th-octave type player with an inferiority complex when I see a cracking bass player!

That apart I absolutely love playing live with my band and am proud of the recordings we have done

Edited by Clarky