Why become a member? ×

What is it that makes you buy your music gear from a specific shop/shops?

Jellyfish

I currently manage a small music shop here in Birmingham, and while we're quite new, we're also very hopeful for the future. We try our best to be as honest and as useful as possible to potential customers and match all our prices online. And when people see the prices of our items, they're often shocked to see a small local shop matching online prices. But I'm curious as to what brings you to your favourite music shops on a regular basis for things like strings, cases etc.

For me, it's a combination of a few things. I never used to travel to local shops because they never had the gear I wanted ('high-end' items like good cases/straps that sort of thing) or even do things for good prices (it was always cheaper to buy online).

And don't worry, this isn't market research by any means! I'm just curious as to hear if I'm the only one who primarily has bought online in the past as it's hard for a lot of people around my age (twenties) to get out of the stigma of "everything is cheaper online"

Edited by Jellyfish

First off, best of luck with the shop! :) hope it goes well for you.

For me, one of the most important things is feeling like I can go and chat to the staff without feeling like I'm wasting their time. I also really like feeling like I can try stuff without being pressured into buying something.

I don't think it would matter if it was market research - unless the mods objected?

I don't set that great a store (no pun intended) by a shop having all things at all times, it's impractical - & I don't impulse buy large priced items so it wouldn't make a diff to me if it was online or in a shop. Personally I'm happy to pay a fair bit over the odds for an item from a shop knowing that if I get any issues with it they should (in an normal world) be more inclined to sort it out. Sure, it doesn't always pan out that way, but direct contact is always better than over the phone or email IME.

I would guess, but you may know, that you'd prefer to have 20 customers come in on any given day & buy a set of strings, strap or lead than have one who just so happens to see the guitar he/she wants at the price they want to pay (OK - both on a Saturday :)).
Make sure you have great backup service from your suppliers - and check for a damn good tech who will give you good service at good rates - unless you have one on the staff of course.

Most of all - the very best of luck to you.

My local independent guitar shop is very busy on Facebook and Twitter and it's working really well for them. Local musicians get to see more of the personalities of the people who work there - they can build a familiarity that you wouldn't get just from stopping in for sets of strings or whatever. That is a real incentive to buy from them rather than save a couple of quid online.

I used to use a wide range of shops, however now, Basschat gets most of my disposable income :D

Seriously though, the majority of the "named" on-line retailers I`ve only ever had great service from. However the shop I`ve probably spent most at, for both nearness, great range, great service and competitive prices is Coda Music.

First: best of luck with the shop and with your managing it.
Exciting times! Have loads of fun doing it!

As to your question, I'm far from in your market, but:

As a starting point, I try to support local shops.

They don't have to have much in stock, but they must accept that some items, like basses, must be checked and approved before money changes hands.

For me the main thing is to be treated as a human, and with some honesty. I walk away when I notice the seller will say just about anything for a sell.

I'm happy to pay at least 25% more than online, but for that I demand the shop does what a shop can do, and that's mostly on the service front.

Looking at my gear, 70% was indeed bought locally; the rest from many different places for many different reasons.

best,
bert

I said a combination of the above.

At the moment while money is an issue for me, I hunt relentlessly for the lowest price. However, in normal circumstances if an item that I want is for sale in multiple places, I will try to make sure to go for a store I have used before and received good service from. I like to to try and support local shops, but items that I want have only ever been available locally a handful of times. I'm the kind of person who knows what they want before they go out shopping, so I'm probably a shopkeepers worst nightmare! I know that even if a store can order an item in for me, I will be able to get it faster and cheaper online. I won't be able to try before I buy, but I'd hate to make a local shop order something in and then decide I didn't want it!

Nowadays I use real world music stores for mindless browsing, or if I need an emergency pack of strings, a cable, or a strap. I nearly bought an Ashdown Lomenzo from PMT in Manchester because I'd had a pleasant experience with the staff, but the only one in the shop was a display model that was faulty :(

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1363478164' post='2013296']
For me the main thing is to be treated as a human, and with some honesty.
[/quote]

This is really important to me too. Even if I don't part with any money that day, I remember the quality of service forever and will be more likely to shop there in future. I also don't hesitate to recommend them to as many people as I can!

My local shop is FANTASTIC, its 10 mins drive from home and the service is amazing.

Also if you want something unusual they will do their best to source if for you and order it in (Like the La Belle flats I wanted for my 5 string.... 4 string were 2 a penny, but nowhere was stocking the 5 string in the guage I wanted, they ordered from a supplier and it's taken since Nov for them to come but they are now here)

You get to know people too, which I think is great if you need a set up done or some advice.

I've bought a bass there, a practice amp there, leads, books, iPhone thing for my bass, straps. I could have got them all online a couple of quid cheaper (only a couple of quid though), however, for the relationships and the service I will keep going back!

He will do his best for me, but accepts he can't do a lot of what I would be after.
In that sense, I make them aware of other products and makes...

Our markets are oppsoed in a way, but I will ask them quote and see what he can do.
Other than that, they are a source of what is on locally and make good cofffee

but.. mostly, they have what I want for the price I have in mind.
It helps if you travel a couple of hrs and you find a great shop with loads more like-minded goodies..and then some.
And then you stay waaaay longer than intended and have a desire to do it all again soon.

I must go back there soon..........

The big advantage of a physical shop is that I can walk out with my purchase that day. The best you can hope for from an on-line retailer is next day delivery. Not much good if I need it for a gig that evening.

In these days of internet retailers the best thing you can do is have items that are exclusive to your shop. IMO there's little point if your stock list is essentially identical to the others within 50 miles. If you are the only stockist of particular instruments etc. at least in the Midlands if not the whole of the UK then that gives people a good reason to buy from you.

I'm not sure how valuable specially ordering in stuff is. I've pretty much given up asking music shops to get me things they don't have in stock because is way to much hassle for both me and them. On the other hand it would probably be worth finding out what items your regular customers buy that they don't get from you and making an effort to keep those in stock.

Good luck with the shop.

I find that the place I use most is nearby (the best being PMT in Salford). They have a very good range of the basses I want to try and are helpful in allowing me to try them out. The shop staff know me a little, so give me space to put a bass through its paces and don't stand over me watching. They have been known to cut deals and throw a couple of things in, straps, cables, strings to sweeten deals (on the more expensive stuff).

I like to play a bass rather than buy online - though I have done that.
You can't beat picking a bass up, going WOW and falling in love with it.

Edited by 12stringbassist

Great service and good prices, my dealings with Lance at Guitar studio near Evesham for example have all ways been excellent, he sells you the gear, he is a great luthier, great bloke and great player as well, plus whiulst he may not all ways be the cheapest he is competative and I would rather buy from this type of shop, online is great and I use it a lot, but nothing beats being sold something you want in a professional manner, imho.

Firstly good luck with the shop we certainly need the smaller independant retailers out there to keep the big guys on their toes.

I buy from a couple of places normally, PMT in Northampton where the staff are great, always helpful and polite (but I have spent a small fortune in there so they know me by now) and on a smaller scale Pheonix Soundworks in Earls Barton, Duncan has been in business for many years as a retailler, repair and service centre and hire centre, he doesn't stock a massive range of gear but can get most things that I want, he will always try and get the price as close as possible to the online prices, one of the biggest attractions though is from time to time he will have something really special hanging on the wall, something the likes of PMT will probably never take in as a part ex or choose to stock (he had a custom built Gretsch Silver Falcon last year that had me visiting on a regular basis just to ogle this thing of total beauty)

Phoenix carry out all of my repair work, any servicing etc, Duncan is a font of knowledge for anything sound or lighting based...so as you can see there are so many reasons to keep visiting and spending my hard earned!

Is the level of service better from Phoenix...probably not (only because the guys at PMT are also excellent) but it is a different kind of service that I am not sure the major retailers have the necessecary mindset to be able to match

For me it's got to be good service. I have received poor service from Nevada who are just down the road from me and I won't go back there. I drive past their shop and travel a further 20 miles to M B music in Bognor to get treated in a way a customer should.

Jas

Has to be a friendly face and a good atmosphere. First guitar shop I ever went in, when I knew nowt, the guy treated me like I was wasting his time and one of his customers - a fairly well known, but unpretentious guitarist as it turned out - told me what I needed. I never went back there and still feel uncomfortable in music shops even now - nearly 40 years later.

Todays 17 year old buying a set of cheap strings, could spend a lot of money and reccomend you, or not, over the next 30 or 40 years,

p.s. the shop was Wasp, for any other old fogies on here.

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1363468590' post='2013201']
I currently manage a small music shop here in Birmingham, and while we're quite new, we're also very hopeful for the future. We try our best to be as honest and as useful as possible to potential customers and match all our prices online. And when people see the prices of our items, they're often shocked to see a small local shop matching online prices. But I'm curious as to what brings you to your favourite music shops on a regular basis for things like strings, cases etc.

For me, it's a combination of a few things. I never used to travel to local shops because they never had the gear I wanted ('high-end' items like good cases/straps that sort of thing) or even do things for good prices (it was always cheaper to buy online).

And don't worry, this isn't market research by any means! I'm just curious as to hear if I'm the only one who primarily has bought online in the past as it's hard for a lot of people around my age (twenties) to get out of the stigma of "everything is cheaper online"
[/quote]

I don't think you can ever, EVER underestimate making a connection with your customers, and staying open minded. Keep that connection open and listen to what they want. Know your market. I thought my local was mad for getting in a load (talking 20+) pink ukuleles, but they all sold in a few weeks. Why? The man just knows his market, and what will sell. I like the shop, for a couple of reasons. The guy that owns it is a nice guy. I like him, and we have becomes friends since he opened the shop. He's still quite young (20's) so he knows what's cool, and his shop is a "Cool" place to buy your music gear from. He knows why people buy their gear online, and would price match quite a lot of things if you ask him to. And he's running an improv workshop that i'm going to. It's pretty cool.