Why become a member? ×

Who (non bass) inspires you. ?

bubinga5

we all talk about people who inspires us on the bass, but do you have any other musicians who inspire you, i know this is very subjective but for me this guy is just off the wall... imo hes the best guitarist alive today.. very specific to what music i like of course...

his playing is magical.. these clips are live at a guitar show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArNNsdDQEaY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1QMKYzO6M

who yours..?

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1362853948' post='2005436']
we all talk about people who inspires us on the bass, but do you have any other musicians who inspire you,
who yours..?
[/quote]

My main non bass playing musical heros are, in no particular order:

Jon Lord
Neil Peart
Larry Carlton

--- edit ---

Just though what an awesome band that would have made ...

Edited by bassman7755

When I read (solo Round the world Yachtswoman) Ellen MacArthur's biography I was blown away - she tells of repairing sails after hauling them out of the seas around Antarctica in near freezing conditions after 20 minutes sleep in 24 hours. This went on for weeks.

Reading it, I'm thinking "why didn't you just give it up and go home?" - if she had nobody would know who she is. Her persistence and dedication to getting the job done should be an inspiration to anybody with a goal - whatever that might be.

Jeff Beck - Seen him live a couple of times and he absolutely blows me away.

Marek Dorcik - the drummer in my previous band. He's really a great jazz drummer, and I really miss playing in a band with him. We just knew intuitively what each other was going to play. He's a fantastic musician and will always inspire me.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1362857164' post='2005473']
My main non bass playing musical heros are, in no particular order:

Jon Lord
Neil Peart
Larry Carlton

--- edit ---

Just though what an awesome band that would have made ...
[/quote]im with you on the Larry Carlton, his stuff with steely dan among others is amazing..

Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderley, Coltrane, John Lennon, Pete Townshend, Keith Moon, Neil Pert, John Bonham, Bon Scott, Freddie Mercury and many many others!

Non-musically I've always been inspired by Winston Churchill a man who never gave in and never gave up! He saw the war as a big game! Nelson Mandela, Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, Stephen Hawking, Leonardo Da Vinci and Sir Isaac Newton

Tim Armstrong - I love his lyrics and natural songwriting ability.

Steve Wilson - I love his ear for arrangements, tone and production

but above all:

Frank Turner - You ever have that moment where a songwriter's lyrics just perfectly connect to you and you think they're singing about you? I have that with Frank, I swear his album Love, Ire And Song could've been written about me; couple that with great songwriting and you have a winner. If the boy were to lead a revolution I'd join.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1362906356' post='2005908']
Frank Turner - You ever have that moment where a songwriter's lyrics just perfectly connect to you and you think they're singing about you? I have that with Frank, I swear his album Love, Ire And Song could've been written about me; couple that with great songwriting and you have a winner. If the boy were to lead a revolution I'd join.
[/quote]

the first time i heard the Long Live the Queen track and heard the story behind it it brought a tear to my eye, very moving song from a superb album!

if i was to say who has inspired me it would have to be Greame Obree, non musical i know but he was a man who let nothing get in his way to unconventionally get to the very top and who has had to fight his demons every step of the way.