Why become a member? ×

Lets design a bass by committee

Dom in Dorset

"A camel is a horse that was designed by committee"
With that in mind, I thought it might be fun to design a bass guitar by committee to see what monstrosity or piece of ultra bland averageness we can come up with.
I'll act as chairman and put forward design elements to be considered, once an agreement has bee reached I'll publish the spec in post 1of this thread. Items already debated can be reviewed at a later date.We will also attempt to cost this project. We'll make up any other rules as we go .

Item 1 on the agenda : Number of strings.

I think that it should be four. Anyone else?

Edited by Dom in Somerset

Someone has a good Billy Sheehan quote in their sig. Something like "You should only move to 5 strings after spending a good bit of time on 4. A minimum of 20 years".

I'm still on 4 string despite having played for nearer 30 years. So on that note, I'm gonna suggest 6 strings (& maybe a drone string too).

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1361872210' post='1992072']
Design by committee usually only ever makes progress on the basis of consensus. On Basschat that means you could be here for years.
[/quote]
We have all the time in the world.
As for the strings issue, we'll make a provisional decision based on the most popular choice by midnight (GMT) tonight.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1361872124' post='1992071']
[b]Someone has a good Billy Sheehan quote in their sig. Something like "You should only move to 5 strings after spending a good bit of time on 4. A minimum of 20 years".[/b]

I'm still on 4 string despite having played for nearer 30 years. So on that note, I'm gonna suggest 6 strings (& maybe a drone string too).
[/quote]

It's a ridiculous quote really isn't it. I feel sure he doesn't stand by it. It's complete bullshit.

I vote for four strings, simply because the bass will look much nicer than a five or six.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361877159' post='1992183']
:lol:

It's going to end up looking like this isn't it :D

[/quote]

Haha! Just because it can, doesn't mean it should!

Perhaps Dom of Somerset fame would do well to pose the next question, to run in parallel. Otherwise I can see this becoming a day's worth of people yelling "4!",
"No, 5!"
"Some of us manage perfectly well with 4!"
"What kind of neanderthal hasn't graduated to 5?"
"Well I think there should be 15 LOLZ0rs"
at each other. (And god knows we get enough of that whenever some innocent soul asks whether they should buy a 5-string...)

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1361880439' post='1992259']
Wasn't there a thread a while ago about signing up to a guitar builder's website, submitting designs and suggestions and building the resulting design?

I'm sure some Basschatters signed up for it, did they ever get built?
[/quote]

I think it was Johnson, so we'll never know now...