Why become a member? ×

How was your transition from 4 string to 5??

TheGreek

Just voicing my thoughts really and asking for others' experience of the change from 4 to 5 string basses as I recently traded for a 5 string Roscoe - she's a beaut..

[IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/Roscoe%20Century%203005%20-%20Five%20String/RoscoeC5cocofront1_zpsa47b96a2.jpg[/IMG]

I believe it's wearing 0.40-0.125 gauge strings.

My last experience with a 5er wasn't the best - I had a 5 string Corvette which, TBH, I didn't give a fair chance as I would always pick up my 4 string Dolphin. I sold the 5er on a few months after getting it. I'm committed to give this 5 string a proper chance.

I've only had it a couple of days and I expected the transition to not be straight forward but I'm just checking whether others had similar issues with the change.

I like to play with slim strings (0.35 preferably but 0.40s at a push) and play with a lot of hammer ons - seems that this bass isn't as responsive as my 4s, but I'm putting this down to the heavier gauge strings. Also I'm finding that when I slap I'm having to hit (all) the strings a little bit harder and I'm having to be a bit more precise - as a result I'm now hitting the string much closer to the tip of my thumb than before.

The low "B" seems to be a bit "farty" but, again, by adapting my playing I'm able to allow for this and I'm slowly getting used to introducing open "Bs" into my riffs. Playing transposed riffs all seem a bit slower too ( I know that the wavelength is slower) and I'm finding the combination of the above to be a bit disconcerting.

I know it's early days still but did anybody else have similar issues when they changed from a 4 to a 5er??

The best thing you can do is play your 5 string constantly without going back to your 4. It took me about a month to get used to it (got my first 5 in 1996) and have never looked back.

Having the extra string also means you can give your fretting hand a bit of a rest by playing things in the middle of the neck, as opposed to playing it up by the nut (i.e. if you're playing in C or D).

The main thing to remember about the extra low range is using it sparingly.

Enjoy! :)

Regarding the playability of your beautiful new Roscoe , your five string has got a 35 inch scale and so whatever strings you put on there will feel about as taut as a guage heavier on a 34 inch scale bass , so if you like and are used to a slacker tension with relatively light gauge strings on a 34 inch scale bass that would account for the perceived lack of responsiveness on your new bass . If you try some slightly lighter gauge strings it may feel a bit more familiar .

3 to 4 weeks in and I'm loving it - to be able to play my patterns more compactly is great, the sound of the low B is earth moving, and it feels 'grown up'. I've played my 4-er only once since, and it reminded me how great the 5 stringer is...

stick with it - you'll be playing like victor wooten in no time :)

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1360869581' post='1977743']
The best thing you can do is play your 5 string constantly without going back to your 4. It took me about a month to get used to it (got my first 5 in 1996) and have never looked back.

Having the extra string also means you can give your fretting hand a bit of a rest by playing things in the middle of the neck, as opposed to playing it up by the nut (i.e. if you're playing in C or D).

The main thing to remember about the extra low range is using it sparingly.

[/quote]

This ^.

The only real problem I can remember having was getting the B and E strings muddled up resulting in some hilariously unpleasant and inopportune notes at times.

Took a few weeks to get to grips with it.

Guest bassman7755

I had a band rehearsal on the day I got my 5-string so I took it along intending to basically ignore the B string and play everything the same as usual but after about an hour I was sneaking in the odd note on the B. I had one incident of "bugger I played a low D thinking it was an G" and that was my one and only slight hiccup that I've ever had with it. I played my first gig with it about 2 weeks later.

Edited by bassman7755

I've tried it three times now, and on each occasion it has produced the same result - a five string bass in the for sale section :rolleyes: :(

That said, I've never tried one of such quality as the one the OP has the good fortune to own. Maybe that is the reason? The problem is that all my favourite basses have four strings, so any fiver that I was to stick with would have to be pretty bloody exceptional-and I'm yet to play one like that that I could afford... :blink:

I know that isn't what you want to hear though, so I'll stop there. :)

playing with; a new scale length, new string gauge, an extra string, extra frets shouldn't be difficult. As long as you practice the right things on it (Ie scales/ patterns across 5 strings ect.), and put time into it, then you'll soon get used to it. Apart from learning to string mute correctly which is essential on a 5. That could take a few weeks to get used to if you don't already.

Those Roscoes are beautiful by the way! I absolutely love the tone.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1360872344' post='1977794']
I've tried it three times now, and on each occasion it has produced the same result - a five string bass in the for sale section :rolleyes: :(
[/quote]

...so if anyone wants a 5 string then tell Conan what you think is good and visit the For Sale section a week later... :rolleyes: ;)

Hi Greek, I was a 4 string player for years and years before I finally got a 5'er. I think people can downplay the extent to which switching can affect their technique and style but it's just about the amount of time you're willing to practice and accept that low B string as part of your playing.

It gets mentioned all the time in topics like this but I actually never play my 5 string like a 5 string, I always play it like a 4 string with an extra string if you see what I mean, i.e. being able to have the facility to drop a full 4th below your usual note doesn't mean you should do it all the time. For me, buying a 5 meant I was able to connect certain passages that I felt would benefit a lower note somewhere in it, it also makes position playing a little easier and finally it opens up the possibilities of what I'm able to with my bass guitar. A 6 string would be too much for me as I don't need those higher notes but the 5 extra low notes are perfect for what I like to do.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1360871804' post='1977781']
I've thought about replacing the strings with a set of DR Lo-rider lites - 40-60-80-100-120 - anybody tried these??
[/quote]

I've used Lo Riders in the past and found them [u]very [/u]stiff feeling . If you like a more elastic feel then I would go for some round core DRs such as Hi Beams or Sunbeams .

My 1st fiver was a gorgeous Peavey Cirrus BXP, but I couldn't get on with it because the string were spaced so close I couldn't play ANYTHING. I sold it and bought Pete Young's stupendous Yam TRB5 which had a much wider string spacing and even with a 34in scale I found it SO easy, as others say just play it like a 4 string and as confidence builds you will find yourself dipping in and out, before you know it...total integration.

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1360872403' post='1977796']
It was fine. I'm still crap :lol:
[/quote]

A man who knows my bass playing - am still amazed what a difference 2.5mm makes (no references from other half here please). However am gradually getting used to narrower spacing. As others have mentioned - just put the time in.

My transition to 5-string bass has been very troublesome, alas. I can't count the number of times I've thought they should've chopped that B string into short pieces, and glued those pieces across the fingerboard in well-calculated distances from each other.

Other than that, PoC.

Cake peace,
bert

I switched over 20 years ago. It was no big deal.

Put your 4 string bass away and leave it alone.

You'll start a few numbers on the wrong string and it's easy to over play the B string. Just play your normal lines and let the B string in gradually.

I think a light touch works better on a 5er.

ps, that's a very nice bass.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1360871727' post='1977778']
This ^.

The only real problem I can remember having was getting the B and E strings muddled up resulting in some hilariously unpleasant and inopportune notes at times.

Took a few weeks to get to grips with it.
[/quote]

Went from 4 to 6 and found this but also found that my 1st 6 had 16mm bridge spacing whem my other basses had 18mm. My Overwater 6 has 18mm and seems to have solved this. Just about to get a 5 stringer Peavey tomorrow which should fit the gap nicely - i hope :rolleyes:

Dave

Nope, I've tried to switch a couple of times now, not enjoyed it and it's not stuck. I like a slim neck (my Precisions all have Jazz necks, as does my Fenderbird) and 5s never have one of those (not even the SR505 I had, which was as close as I got) but I have a Hipshot Xtender on all my basses if I need a low D (low C on the Dingwall). Having said that, I have an 8 which is staying, but that's very much an occasional novelty bass. I guess if I ever wanted to go for a 5 again I'd get a Dingwall as they make so much sense as a 5, but it'd be a very expensive experiment...

I just recently got a 5 string and the only problems I have with it. A. Actually using the B string but now i'm working on some scales, etc. so I'm more comfortable with it and B. I have difficulty swapping between using it as a thumb rest and then jumping to rest on the pickup. But as people have said these things take time :)