Why become a member? ×

How was your transition from 4 string to 5??

TheGreek

[quote name='leadubblebass' timestamp='1361141074' post='1981888']
5 string basses have been around for a while now-I have wondered why we do not have a 5string bass hero?
Is there things you can play on a 5 string that you cant play on a 4?
[/quote]

Try Aint Nobody by Chaka Khan on a 4 string, hard enough on 5 (I presume it was recorded on a 4 though? Cant might be wrong but dropping to Low B and getting it to sound like the record then getting the octaves on what would be the G string on a five now half way up the neck would be beyond many me included :)

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1361264440' post='1983497']
Ive got a Squier Jazz 5 string. I didn't want to spend too much in case I didnt like it, so I opted for the cheap alternative. I have to say, the Squier has a surprisingly good sound. Trouble is, our set doesn't have that many songs where a 5 would be suitable, so I havent given it the attention I could have. One thing I hate is 5's being used when the song doesn't suit it. I mean classic rock songs just dont go that low :blink: .Some people throw in low notes just cos they can. We dont play any modern metal or funk where the 5 would be justified.
I really need to spend more time on it right enough and maybe suggest some songs that would suit it. I still find it quite weird having a lower string than the E where I spend most of my time :unsure:
[/quote]

You need to think of it all different, the problem is all the songs you know are ingrained playing off the E string rather than the E on the B string, In the function band I rarely use the extra notes but lots of riffs are easier across the board :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1361293701' post='1984081']
Try Aint Nobody by Chaka Khan on a 4 string, hard enough on 5 (I presume it was recorded on a 4 though? Cant might be wrong but dropping to Low B and getting it to sound like the record then getting the octaves on what would be the G string on a five now half way up the neck would be beyond many me included :)
[/quote]

The original is all synth bass though and probably sequenced (or at least played two handed).

Just thought I'd throw in my five eggs here. A lot of really interesting comments and advice above. I switched to fives in 1972 and have played a four once since then, and made a mess of it (playing the four that is). I find I don't use the G string as much as the B unlike others above. I've been in blues bands for a good many years so playing riffs in E from the fifth fret is great, as I don't like open string notes. The Greek has picked up my dream bass there, as I have a LG3005 and love it, possibly the best sounding bass I own, but looks a bit odd on me because I'm pretty tall, and it is a small body. Stick with the heavier strings and just listen to that great B string I'd suggest. If you want a wide flat necked fiver try one of the new Reverend Mercalli 5's - a real thumper!
What a great site this is.
Graham

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1361301952' post='1984248']
Are those the ones with 15 frets or something?
[/quote]

Hi Pete, yup that's the one. There's one in lovely original condition I basses for sale up for 2,500 euros - from Holland - from a newbie though! It's 15 or possibly 18 frets, originally e a d g c, but many, including mine, are now b e a d g. Will post a pic when I get back off holiday.
Graham

I went to buy a Zoom pedal once off a forum member. He kindly gave me a play of his 5 string and for some unkown reason the extra string just befuddled me. It was so emabaressing, as I sat there plink plonking away. I have no idea why it did that to me, but it just reinforced a prejudice that I already vaguely felt against 5 strings at some basic level [size=3][i](ie: A bass has 4 strings, any more than that and its not a bass. Sort of thinking) :)[/i][/size]

[size=4][i]So my 'transistion' was non exsistant, and always will be [/i][/size]
[size=4][i][size=3][i] :D ;)[/i][/size][/i][/size]

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1361527073' post='1986910']
I went to buy a Zoom pedal once off a forum member. He kindly gave me a play of his 5 string and for some unkown reason the extra string just befuddled me. It was so emabaressing, as I sat there plink plonking away. I have no idea why it did that to me, but it just reinforced a prejudice that I already vaguely felt against 5 strings at some basic level [size=3][i](ie: A bass has 4 strings, any more than that and its not a bass. Sort of thinking) [/i][/size]
[/quote]

Surely as a BASS player the opportunity to play even lower notes should be embraced and not something the run and hide from?

....gave me a play of his 5 string and for some unkown reason the extra string just befuddled me. It was so emabaressing, as I sat there plink plonking away. I have no idea why it did that to me, but it just reinforced a prejudice that I already vaguely felt against 5 strings....
[/quote]

A case of shooting the messenger?

....but it just reinforced a prejudice that I already vaguely felt against 5 strings at some basic level [size=3][i](ie: A bass has 4 strings, any more than that and its not a bass....[/i][/size][size=4][/size]
[/quote]

5 string basses not a bass? They have been used in orchestral music for a couple of hundred years!!

I went to buy a Zoom pedal once off a forum member. He kindly gave me a play of his 5 string and for some unkown reason the extra string just befuddled me. It was so emabaressing, as I sat there plink plonking away. I have no idea why it did that to me, but it just reinforced a prejudice that I already vaguely felt against 5 strings at some basic level [size=3][i](ie: A bass has 4 strings, any more than that and its not a bass. Sort of thinking) :)[/i][/size]

[size=4][i]So my 'transistion' was non exsistant, and always will be [/i][/size]
[size=4][i][size=3][i] :D ;)[/i][/size][/i][/size]
[/quote]

If you search back on basschat I made a post fairly similar to yours, even got into a heated debate as I felt so strongly, sold my '71 MGB GT and bought my first pre EB and I love it, never gets played as a year later I switched to 5 strings ;)

Gave my 5er it's public debut last night after a month practicing with it, loved it, it's nothing fancy just a cheap as chips Squier I got second hand, the one with the pair of really crappy jazz pups. But, after having a pair of SD quarter pounders fitted and changing the white scratch plate for a black 3ply one, it not only looks the biz (black on black) it sounds amazing. Rest of band say it's sounds better than my Tanglewater. I'm a convert :) .

• 3 weeks later...

About 12 years ago I bought myself a beautiful Fbass but sold it within 1,5 month. Couldn't get used to the extra string.
However picked up a really old en abused Yamaha TRB5 and love the feel & shape of the neck and a 5 string feels natural to me now. As you can imagine I'm really pissed that this wasn't 12 years ago since I had the budget for this F-bass then.... :rolleyes:

I recently dipped my toe into 5 strings bought a Yamaha bb425 here
like many the D opps G incident happened a few times but what i have found is that songs learned on the 5 string are weird when i played it on the 4 string.

Like a previous poster i prefer not to play open strings so E on the B string is great.

So i'll stick with it

BB425 great Bass in my humble opinion.

Question is now keep a 4 as a back up or hunt down a TRB or do both