Why become a member? ×

Do You Have A 'Main' Bass?

spongebob

although I have 5 basses 1 is my homemade fretless, 1 is a 5iver, so the majority of my gigging should be split between the Jazz, my beaten up ole Yam with the green strings, or the Epi EB3 I bought from BC. I love the Epi, but is a bit of a 1 trick pony, The Jazz is great, especially with the John East pre fitted, buts its heavy and I get an annoying 'clonk' off the E string which I have yet to sort out. So my battered Yam is still the best bass I have ever bought...for peanuts, and is always the one I reach for 1st.

Mine is the Squier in my profile picture, cost me my entire life savings when I bought it in 2008... It's since had a set of MIM pickups, chrome pickup cover, USA control plate/vintage USA wiring loom, Wilkinson vintage tuners and BBOT bridge, extra screw in the middle of the pickguard, thumbrest and one of those useless strap buttons on the back of the headstock... I did have a 'real' Fender jazz for a while, and a nice one at that, but ended up selling it because I preferred this.

Recently though I've found my Precision sits/cuts through the mix better in my covers band(having two guitarists can really mess with a Jazz's tone live...) and my Westone Quantum has a much better sound for use with my Ukulele orchestra... would still call Ruby my main bass though after 5 years or so!

I have 1 main at a time. Currently the 2012 US P, though I play my bitsa at home as It has a similair neck and is easier to get to (I dont have to manhandle the SKB hardcase out!) . Prior to this it was my 96 MIM P but gone off that as rediscovering love for propper width P bass necks.

Despite answering "no" in the poll, I do favour my Geddy with my current band. It is also the newest bass of my three, so I am still kind of getting used to it. Also, the two guitarists in the band play Fenders so it looks nice too! :rolleyes: :D

the '77 Precision in my avatar is my main bass and the one that i'm never selling, it only gets put down if a song needs a 5th string, i can see it being usurped by my incoming Letts 5 string though but i'll probably still use it a fair amount, i'm thinking i'll thin the herd when the Letts arrives, might get down to just 2 basses but more likely i'll just sell some and then buy some different ones!

Matt