Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

Jabba_the_gut

My copy of Bass Guitar Magazine arrived in the post today and I was wondering if anything would be mentioned regarding last month's edition. Last months magazine had a number of errors in with the main one being a missing review of a Mike Lull bass that was replaced by a duplicate review of a Fender acoustic bass.

I suppose I was kind of expecting some form of 'Whoops! Bit of an error....here's the review this month as well as the usual stuff' but ther isn't. There's an apology for an error to do with details on an Aphex pedal (which I hadn't noticed!) but no mention of the Mike Lull review.

I'll drop them a mail to see if they will be publishing the review at some point. Was anyone else half expecting the review to turn up this month?

Joel posted an apology in this thread (post 288):

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/180696-bass-guitar-magazine-editor/page__st__280"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/180696-bass-guitar-magazine-editor/page__st__280[/url]

All credit to him for holding his hands up - took a lot of bottle to do that after all the flak that was dished out. Haven't got this month's yet, but hoepfully everything is where it should be....

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1360356634' post='1969406']
Joel posted an apology in this thread (post 288):

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/180696-bass-guitar-magazine-editor/page__st__280"]http://basschat.co.u...r/page__st__280[/url]

All credit to him for holding his hands up - took a lot of bottle to do that after all the flak that was dished out. Haven't got this month's yet, but hoepfully everything is where it should be....
[/quote]
What else could he do :lol:

I'm amazed there's nothing in this month's in the way of an apology. I stopped buy last year and can't even be bothered to have a flick through these days.

Guys,
In the great scheme of things Is it really that big of a deal that he has to publish an apology to everyone.
I'm pretty sure that with the amount of comments about it he feels embarrassed enough already with having to humble himself anymore.
Everybody screws up from time to time. With the amount of negativity directed at the mag it makes me wonder sometimes why they bother.

Last month's was my last copy. BGM has had way too many chances to get things right and they're not getting my £4+ per copy for amateur, sloppy rubbish. I've supported the magazine since Issue 3 and it's always been very poor.

Apologising on this forum is one thing and I admire that but it doesnt seem to have fixed the problems.

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1360404946' post='1969796']Guys,
In the great scheme of things Is it really that big of a deal that he has to publish an apology to everyone.
I'm pretty sure that with the amount of comments about it he feels embarrassed enough already with having to humble himself anymore.
Everybody screws up from time to time. With the amount of negativity directed at the mag it makes me wonder sometimes why they bother.[/quote]
You're right, in the greater scheme of things i's a very small matter. But, in the world of magazine publishing, it is the common practice to print an apology when you make a mistake. Again, being selective about what you do and don't print apologies and corrections for shows lax editorial standards. Oh, and the reason he does it, he's the editor, it comes with the job. It's you who has to take responsibility for what goes wrong.

I stopped buying it a while back because there was always annoying bits missing from articles or sometimes I would be reading an article, turn the page and boom! it's gone. The last one I bought was the Stanley Clarke interview issue. Great reading his opinions on everything music, then Jaco's name comes up and Stanley is just about to elaborate further about his time spent with him that I start leaning forward, interest completely piqued to see what this giant of bass guitar innovation thinks about the other when all it reads is "Jaco was..." then nothing! A whole juicy paragraph missing! Probably one of the most exclusive pieces of info that magazine will ever have, and it totally goes unoticed that someone forgot to bloody put it in! Don't they have anybody read the mag cover to cover before it goes to print?
It's such a shame as I love to sit down with a good mag and chill (Mojo for instance is always inspiring) but these days when you're up against the internet, you gotta be bang on.
I felt BGM was a frustrating read for a while but that Stanley cover issue took the biscuit and I won't spend my hard-earned on it again.

even the review of the Aphex Aural Exciter was flawed when it said it was made in Canada then in the write up said `this pedal from the US` simple little mistakes are as bad as duplicating complete reviews and missing out paragraphs, it simply shouldnt happen in this day and age with a mag that costs £4.35 there are less mistakes in the Big Issue!

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1360573369' post='1972347']
I've flicked through my copy and only read a couple of articles but I haven't found a single typo yet. If the rest of the mag has been as well proof-read as the bits I've read, then that's a big step forward for me.
[/quote]
Duplicated posts on two separate pages; are you doing it for them instead? ;) :lol:

• 9 months later...

Did anyone notice the cover of the December issue? "25 Basses Under £500: Half a century of basses for half a grand" :blink:
I'm afraid that's it for me. It's been a good run but if I had opted to hold on to my €6 I splash on each issue I could now afford one of the [s]50[/s] 25 basses reviewed. :dash1:

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1385631936' post='2290364']
Did anyone notice the cover of the December issue? "25 Basses Under £500: Half a century of basses for half a grand" :blink:
I'm afraid that's it for me. It's been a good run but if I had opted to hold on to my €6 I splash on each issue I could now afford one of the [s]50[/s] 25 basses reviewed. :dash1:
[/quote]

Cop out journalism. They've done that before. And they were slated if for it last time. They never learn. Makes me angry that something that could be so good is such utter ****. Sh1t writing, sh1t editing, sh1t look... they got the sh1t end of the market nailed.

You can open up a Thomann's magazine if you want to see that - or go to their website and do a sort by cost... and you'll probably find more than 25 basses... and find more comprehensive comments on the reviews either on the website or the net itself.

People need a reason to buy the magazine over browsing the net as they need content from people that is worthwhile reading. Sadly, that's just not the case with BGM.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1385639501' post='2290481']
People need a reason to buy the magazine over browsing the net as they need content from people that is worthwhile reading. Sadly, that's just not the case with BGM.
[/quote]
It's certainly not the case with [s]World Of Adverts[/s] Bass Player [s]pamphlet[/s] mag either. Every time I pick it up in WH Smitty's it feels skinnier and lighter than the last time. There was a time when if I saw a copy of BP for sale, I'd just automatically pick it up and reach for my fiver, safe in the knowledge that there'd be interesting and informative stuff within. Nowadays it is frankly rubbish. A few faintly interesting interviews and a smattering of reviews of kit we will never [i]ever[/i] see in the UK, held together with page after page of Important Messages From Our Sponsors.
BGM's faults may be legion, but it is still to my mind the superior read.

The " 25 Bass Guitars under £500 " review states that the Fender Modern Player Jaguar bass has a scale of 24" ! ( should be 34" ) . Probably a typo .

On the same page it gives the scale length of the Freshman FA1BN as 32" . I doubted this and tried to find out online . Even the manufacturer's site doesn't give the scale length ( [url="http://www.freshmanguitars.net/product/fa1bn/"]http://www.freshmang.../product/fa1bn/[/url] ) , so as a last resort I dug mine out and applied the old fashioned tape measure technique ,and..... sure enough it is 32" . I didn't know I had a 32" scale bass :blush: :lol: , so I learned something thanks to BGM :)

I find the David Etheridge articles to be very helpful .

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1385643732' post='2290576']
The " 25 Bass Guitars under £500 " review states that the Fender Modern Player Jaguar bass has a scale of 24" ! ( should be 34" ) . Probably a typo .

On the same page it gives the scale length of the Freshman FA1BN as 32" . I doubted this and tried to find out online . Even the manufacturer's site doesn't give the scale length ( [url="http://www.freshmanguitars.net/product/fa1bn/"]http://www.freshmang.../product/fa1bn/[/url] ) , so as a last resort I dug mine out and applied the old fashioned tape measure technique ,and..... sure enough it is 32" . I didn't know I had a 32" scale bass :blush: :lol: , so I learned something thanks to BGM :)

I find the David Etheridge articles to be very helpful .
[/quote]

The same article states the Steinberger Spirit has a maple (I believe) body and neck, then goes on to marvel at how warm the instrument sounds considering it doesn't contain any wood...

For all the sloppy errors, BGM is still far more entertaining than Bass Player, which is little more than an advertising pamphlet these days. And they've changes the shape too - I mean, [i]why[/i]?!

[quote name='2004gdavi' timestamp='1385717742' post='2291385']
Perhaps some encouragement needed. Playing bass is great but only two magazines available. When I was in Smithys I counted 15 titles for getting a tattoo! Mind you sloppy mistakes in the tattoo parlour, now there's something to think about.
[/quote]

There has been plenty of encouragement on here alone for the magazine. I think it's beyond help.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1385722279' post='2291453']
There has been plenty of encouragement on here alone for the magazine. I think it's beyond help.
[/quote]

There have also been various offers of help from members here that have either been ignored or turned down. Draw your own conclusions.