Why become a member? ×

Ignorant Band Members?

thebigyin

Hello,

Played in many Bands over the years....enjoyed most of them....The latest venture is a Rock Covers Band...all in our late 40s and early 50s apart from our drummer who's in his 30s....so you'd think we'd know better...one of our members as got an annoying habit of ignoring texts messages...some important like gigs or support slots, some just well wishing "hi mate how's it goin" sort of thing texts....i find this behaviour rather baffling, annoying and plain rude....or am i just been an 'over reactionary old git'??

Our keys player has always been like this and our sax player has recently started not replying to texts - I now have to phone them up to get confirmation for gigs and rehearsals.

But I'm going to charge them for each time they don't reply and I have to call them. :)

Thats pretty annoying, but I've got to confess at being pretty poor in replying to texts myself - I read it and if you dont respond straight away, forget its come in. If its band related though then its always a priority and does get responded to.

Is it so bad having to speak to people?

I know text is easier, quicker and the preferred form of communication for most people, but I dont mind talking ot bandmates, particulalry if its improtant and I know it'll be more painful if I text and wait.

Yeah, I do agree - it stems from a lack of respect and appreciation of actually how long it takes to organise anything band related.

Personally, I dont mind those that turn their phones off regularly etc and I know thats how they are - you just have to accept theres a certain approach to ensure they get the message. I find it a major problem when I know someone is always on their phone, updates their twitbook or whatever status, but still hasnt responded to a text about a gig. Or worse, responding to an email answering 2 out of 3 questioons not band/gig related and ignoring the one that is. They then wonder why you stop arranging rehearsals and gigs and then everytime you see them say "ah man, we should really jam sometime and get the band going again"....YEAH!? RIGHT!!! WHY DONT YOU BOOK SOMETHING UP AND SEE HOW DIFFICULT IT IS WHEN PEOPLE DONT RESPOND, THEN THE REHEARSAL ROOM IS FULLY BOOKED AND THE GIG'S BEEN GIVEN AWAY!!!!

Cant say it bothers me that much though.....! :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1359644968' post='1958156']
No - it's great.

But when all you need is a 'yes' or 'no' from six or seven people, and you have a life to get on with, a group text message wins every time.
[/quote]

Our drummer only got a mobile so he could talk to his bit on the side after years of slagging everyone off for having a mobile Only switches it on when he wants to talk to someone and doesn't do texts 'cause he doesn't know how too. I suppose that's because he's a drummer.

I arrange our practises, book gigs, book studio, book mics, plan recording sessions, make click tracks, etc

After letting everyone know about a gig that I'd just got us I was overjoyed to receive this text from my guitarist: "Can you please ask him (drummer) and figure out when we can record his drums. I'm ******* bored of waiting. Just pick a weekend and then we* can book it"

That was just after christmas. Got everything booked and sent him click tracks w/guide bass around the 10th Jan. Still waiting for him to finish his bits and send them back!

*hahahahaha

In my experience, when bands stop communicating, it's normally a sign of things coming to an end!

A guitarist I know always rages about people not responding to texts, etc....and then I text him, and don't hear back!

TBH, I'm one of those that always replies quickly - just think it's the right thing to do. How long does it take?

Not so sure it is bad manners...but it is pretty basic that they don't or can't adhere to the whole deal of working in bands or whatever else the have to communicate on.

I just think that some people don't have a clue what is involved running bands..so sure, put it all in the band spreadsheet and make it a 'chargeable'...
see how that goes... :lol: :lol:

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1359642948' post='1958123']
Hello,

Played in many Bands over the years....enjoyed most of them....The latest venture is a Rock Covers Band...all in our late 40s and early 50s apart from our drummer who's in his 30s....so you'd think we'd know better...one of our members as got an annoying habit of ignoring texts messages...some important like gigs or support slots, some just well wishing "hi mate how's it goin" sort of thing texts....i find this behaviour rather baffling, annoying and plain rude....or am i just been an 'over reactionary old git'??
[/quote]

I've been here. In my experience, most people read it, understand, but choose to reply later, but a lot of the time forget to reply. Yeah, it's not ideal, but some people are busy (or let on to be) and i don't think they are doing it to be ignorant at all. Maybe they think it's ignorant of you to text in the middle of the day while they are working? who knows. I just kept texting until i annoyed them enough that they replied.

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1359653562' post='1958337']
Thanks for the feedback....seems like a common problem...never mind i'll have to grin n bear it....just a pain when one loses out the odd gig/support ect.
[/quote]

If it's really that urgent, phone him. No answer? Phone him again in an hour.

Sorry Peeps, but I am old fashoned and much prefer to speak with people.
The guys I play with all know this and will call me on landline or mobile knowing that I'm probably wasting my time - whoops, sorry - keeping up with things on BC.
However, God help anyone who tries to ring this old fart after 21.00hrs or before 06.30hrs - there will be an outcome!
Better to e-mail and you'll get an answer in the morning.
Works every time.

Singer has no mobile and no computer. He's pretty damn activist on the paranoia/privacy/conspiracy front. He has given his landline number to the guitarist only, through whom he communicates exclusively.

I don't mind though, he's always turned up for everything so far, he's into it, he's good, and his unusual, er... 'worldview' makes for some great lyrics.

Edited by discreet

Recently our singer texted me at 1am to tell me the drummer had to change the practice night. I had gone to bed and the text alert woke me up, but luckily not Mrs Mep. I frantically texted him back telling him not to text so late. He was drunk and had just rememberd to let me know. I leave my phone on at night for the alarm.

There seems to be a growing urgency in our lives to respond immediately to every bleep and buzz.

I hate it.

Quite often I'll read a text and if I don't have an immediate answer I'll sit on it. I live in an area where there is no signal and sometimes don't get a message for 24hours+.

If you need an urgent reply, or even any reply, you need to make it clear in your message and if you don't get a reply then call.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1359670982' post='1958727']
There seems to be a growing urgency in our lives to respond immediately to every bleep and buzz. [size=4]I hate it.[/size]
[/quote]

Me too. Particularly when you're trying to have a conversation with someone and they're constantly fiddling with their bloody phone. Inevitably something non-urgent - usually vapid social network-related crap or yet another picture of a cat playing the piano. Fook 'em!

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1359661728' post='1958520']
Recently our singer texted me at 1am to tell me the drummer had to change the practice night. I had gone to bed and the text alert woke me up, but luckily not Mrs Mep. I frantically texted him back telling him not to text so late. He was drunk and had just rememberd to let me know. I leave my phone on at night for the alarm.
[/quote]

I did this to my old boss one night. Unfortunately for me, i was too drunk to remember, and the text looked something like this-

"Y u no like me, you dick?"

I got a bollocking for it, but thankfully, i thought he was a **** anyway, and didn't care :D

Edited by MiltyG565