Why become a member? ×

Of all musicians, I envy the ...

xilddx

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1359593211' post='1957406']
Bass, guitars, drums... All done. Now tablas, there's an art form I could spend a second lifetime on (and one needs to in order to be 'great'..!).
[/quote]

I play with a wickid tabla player called Mital. It's incredibly complex! If you need a tutor, I can have a word with Sheema and see if she knows of any good French tutors, or perhaps how to locate a recommended one.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359593607' post='1957410']
I play with a wickid tabla player called Mital. It's incredibly complex! If you need a tutor, I can have a word with Sheema and see if she knows of any good French tutors, or perhaps how to locate a recommended one.
[/quote]

Very generous of you, and regards to the maestro; I shall be shortly reaching 63 (next August; no cards, just cheques...), so was not kidding when suggesting a second lifetime. Re-incarnation..? Possibly, but I'm not sure that I'd be given a second chance, anyway..!
A short version of a family anecdote..? Yes..? OK, sit yourself down comfortably...

My parents were from the 40's, and met through war efforts and all. At the time, the latest rage was fur, in the form of mink coats, stoles, fox and such. We became a family of 10, and a large dog so, despite my Dad carving himself a fine career as an aircraft fitter, we were never what one would consider to be 'rich'. The family grew, of course, and grew up, and left the nest, until the old folks were on their own. Retirement came, and my old Dad decided, in his wisdom, to treat my Mum to something he knew she had always dreamed of: a fur coat.
I don't know the details (mink, rabbit, whatever...), but it surely was a real coat such as would have graced any silver screen post-war. My Mum was somewhat lost in it (she was never a tall lady; rather slight build...). She was, of course, delighted.
...but it's not the same, having something, or having something to dream about.

She now had the coat (and not any old coat, but a splendid fur coat...); however, she no longer had the dream.
My Dad admitted as much, some years later, that if it was to be done again, he'd not do it. It was, all things considered, better kept as a dream.

Tablas..? Yes, I dream of doing what I saw Shakti, with Zakir Hussain and Vikku Vinayakram, do. Nah, dream on...

Again, many thanks for even proposing such an offer. I'll take you up on it next time round, perhaps (if stoats are accepted as pupils, or should that be 'grass-hopper'..?).

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1359595185' post='1957424']
Very generous of you, and regards to the maestro; I shall be shortly reaching 63 (next August; no cards, just cheques...), so was not kidding when suggesting a second lifetime. Re-incarnation..? Possibly, but I'm not sure that I'd be given a second chance, anyway..!
A short version of a family anecdote..? Yes..? OK, sit yourself down comfortably...

My parents were from the 40's, and met through war efforts and all. At the time, the latest rage was fur, in the form of mink coats, stoles, fox and such. We became a family of 10, and a large dog so, despite my Dad carving himself a fine career as an aircraft fitter, we were never what one would consider to be 'rich'. The family grew, of course, and grew up, and left the nest, until the old folks were on their own. Retirement came, and my old Dad decided, in his wisdom, to treat my Mum to something he knew she had always dreamed of: a fur coat.
I don't know the details (mink, rabbit, whatever...), but it surely was a real coat such as would have graced any silver screen post-war. My Mum was somewhat lost in it (she was never a tall lady; rather slight build...). She was, of course, delighted.

She now had the coat (and not any old coat, but a splendid fur coat...); however, she no longer had the dream.
My Dad admitted as much, some years later, that if it was to be done again, he'd not do it. It was, all things considered, better kept as a dream.

Tablas..? Yes, I dream of doing what I saw Shakti, with Zakir Hussain and Vikku Vinayakram, do. Nah, dream on...

Again, many thanks for even proposing such an offer. I'll take you up on it next time round, perhaps (if stoats are accepted as pupils, or should that be 'grass-hopper'..?).
[/quote]

Nice post :)

I clicked guitar but feel the need to specify I envy classical guitarists. None of this electric or acoustic nonsense- real proper classical guitar.

I did an internship based in a psychiatric hospital and every week we would have drop in art sessions for a variety of in patients and out patients. A great wee group of different people all in different places in how they were and ability and skill in art and stuff.
Well one day they were running a project and got a couple of the out patients in both in their 60's, neither of them that skilled at art really - but he bought this cheapish classical guitar in and books of music and started playing a bach piece. It blew me away - I'll never reach that level of musicianship, skill, technique and beauty in music. (im ok with that)

Edited by LukeFRC

a pair of tingsha cymbals and a singing bowl please :)

failing that i wouldnt mind getting a nylon strung classical and re-learning some of the grade 8 pieces i used to be able to bludgeon my way through as a precocious teenager

Edited by steve-bbb

I chose singer because I really can't sing. I can hit notes, but my voice just sounds rubbish!
Unlike any other instrument which can be changed for a better sounding one, my voice is there to stay. It sounds good in my head, but when I sing to anyone or hear myself recorded, it's bad. Only time it's sounded okish was when I had the cold in December.

I do to an extent, envy classically trained pianists & have always wanted to take up saxophone, but as I already play keys, guitar, drums, know my way confidently around synthesis & to a degree know how to play trumpet, tenor horn, violin, banjo & some percussion instruments too, I'll be contented there.

I chose "no" to being happy just playing bass as I think the key to being a good musician is to know how each instrument plays & the best way to do that is to learn them. I'd happily give up all but 1 instrument just to be able to sing though.

Maybe I should learn to play the bass sometime?

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1359618394' post='1957504'] Shame the Armenian Duduk is not on your list, something i have been into for years. Just love the sound, and something i keep meaning to have a go at if i could put the time in. Garry [/quote] [quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1359619724' post='1957525'] a pair of tingsha cymbals and a singing bowl please :) [/quote] [quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1359620517' post='1957533'] Nigel what have you got against Violas exactly?? :o [/quote]

There was only so much room :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1359595185' post='1957424']
[/quote]
Wow! Thanks for posting that story. Very thought-provoking.

For the poll I voted "happy with bass" because I love the role I take on that instrument. But I do wish I had a better singing voice to express myself with. Yes, I express myself through my bass playing, but only part of myself, and I think the singing would reveal more of me.

I am content playing bass - but not [i]only [/i]playing bass. Most of the music that we play is actually very easy to play and I am not in any way stretched unless I can sing harmonies on quite a few numbers, or occasional lead vox, or occasionally playing the keyboard part on bass in some songs, eg Knights Of Cydonia. I already can play guitar fairly well [though completely out of practice at the moment].

The only thing that I wish I could do is programme and play synths to a good standard to write some weird electro/industrial/gothy/dancey stuff...

It's a miracle that I'm any good at bass - which I am, actually - because I have the attention span of a gnat. But with a lot more effort and concentration I would love to have been a keyboard player. Probably jazz piano but power chords in a prog group would also be great. Probably a cross between Oscar Peterson and Tony Banks. Is it too late, Lord?

Edited by bassace