Why become a member? ×

What are going to be future collectables?

BetaFunk

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1359203875' post='1951478']
I don't know what the ceiling is going to be but Shergold/Hayman guitar/bass prices seem to be on the up over the last couple of years. I bought a Hayman 4040 bass about 5 years ago for around £200, sold it 3 years ago for much the same. Last one I saw on eBay went for over £500. Marathon basses seem to fetch around £350-£400.
[/quote]

There's a marathon on eBay with a BIN of £700 at the moment.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1359278520' post='1952290']
There's a marathon on eBay with a BIN of £700 at the moment.
[/quote]

Plain daft.

Wish I'd kept the Hayman now!!

I have a Westone Pantera Deluxe bass X790 which, in 1987, was the flagship model for Westone and one of Matsumokus finest! Maybe that will increase in value nicely, I don't know - it isn't why I bought it. But a lot of the better Matsumoku stuff is slowly gaining momentum.

How about the Ibanez Ergodyne bass?
Its sound is good, solidly built, good bridge etc, 3 band Eq, 24 frets, good comfortable shaped body. They get a poor press cos careless folk wonder why you can't bounce them against the ceiling and stay intact. So in the future numbers will be limited.

Just wondering what others think?

I think the Fender Pawn Shop range will be worth more than they are now in 25 years. Also 80's Warwicks. Mainly because they're really really good quality basses and have period specific features.

As for unfashionable, I think pointy basses and entry level Yamahas and Ibanez should do quite well.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1359286940' post='1952414']
I think the Fender Pawn Shop range will be worth more than they are now in 25 years. Also 80's Warwicks. Mainly because they're really really good quality basses and have period specific features.

As for unfashionable, I think pointy basses and entry level Yamahas and Ibanez should do quite well.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Depends if they stop making them.
They discontinued the normal jaguar a while ago only to start production again a year or so later :/

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1359284148' post='1952374']
Its sound is good, solidly built, good bridge etc, 3 band Eq, 24 frets, good comfortable shaped body. They get a poor press cos careless folk wonder why you can't bounce them against the ceiling and stay intact. So in the future numbers will be limited.

[/quote]
I like Ergodynes and they go for really reasonable prices..........at the moment. So may well be a good one for the future.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1359286940' post='1952414']

Truckstop
[/quote]
That's what brought me to my original post. I was talking to the guys at my local guitar shop yesterday and they reckon that pointy guitars are going to be future collectables.

I'm not sure about cheaper brands but there are a few of the high end 'boutique' brands that have all been rising in value over recent years.

Stuff like Fodera & Celinder etc have been on the up for a while.

Alembic prices have really dipped but rarity and build quality should mean they'll rise again. Definitely a brand that could do with a modern 'name' player or three to start championing :)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1359284148' post='1952374']

[/quote]

The relative fragility of the luthite bodies will reduce the numbers of these basses in good condition. However I think the collectable bass is more likely to be the Ibanez Affirma which is what the Ergodyne A style bass was based on.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1359285659' post='1952397']
Just up the road in Hampton Hill
[/quote]

Old enough to remember the 'Nicolls' music shop (well, just their front room, really..!)..? That's where I got my first Hofner (Florentine President; should never have sold her...). Some of the stuff in there has become collectable since (but not that much, upon reflection...). Mid/late sixties; heady days.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1359261176' post='1952249']
'Boner' Fender Jazz basses.
[/quote]

I had one and part-ex it for a Hartke rig. I was happy with the amp, but wished I held onto it. I have seen them on Ebay (U.S.) a couple of times going for good money. Rich from the 60ft Dolls and I bought one each of the only three in stock anywhere in S.Wales at that time (mine was black, his was tobacco burst and I was told that Nicky Wire bought the other one, but I have no idea what colour that one was). Rich told me a few years ago he is sure he smashed his up, which wouldn't surprise me.

A great bass and if I had any idea back then how valuable it would be today I would have kept hold of it. Oh well! I have always hoped that Fender would reissue that model. I'll be first in the qeue to buy one.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1359295616' post='1952578']
Don't buy basses buy analog synths! I bought a monophonic Roland SH101 in the mid eighties for £50 secondhand. Now I see them on ebay going for up to £1000. Now that's what I call an investment.
[/quote]

Be careful. The bottom has already fallen out of the analogue synth market once. You could barely give them away in the late 80s and early 90s. When someone perfects digital control of an analogue signal path at a sensible price, it may well collapse all over again. Plus a lot of them use electronic components and other parts that are no longer in production. Getting them into working condition (and they are worthless if not) can be extremely expensive.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359297885' post='1952626']
Be careful. The bottom has already fallen out of the analogue synth market once. You could barely give them away in the late 80s and early 90s. When someone perfects digital control of an analogue signal path at a sensible price, it may well collapse all over again. Plus a lot of them use electronic components and other parts that are no longer in production. Getting them into working condition (and they are worthless if not) can be extremely expensive.
[/quote]

There is truth in this. I bought a Moog Prodigy for £300, spent £150 fixing it and sold it for £300 even though a so called 'expert' told me I could sell it on for at least £600. It took me almost 3yrs to sell it too. Digital is really starting to take over the market. I work mostly in the dance industry and the trend of analogue setups is dwindling steadily. There will always be a market for analogue, but it will be the niche rather than the standard.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359297885' post='1952626']
[/quote]
Spot on. I totally agree with that. Something that's flavour of the month this month may not be in fashion next month or year.

I traded in a Corvette at the Bass Gallery. It was an '05. I still had the serial number label in the plastic sleave. I put it back on the headstock when I took it in. They asked me if it had ever been played. I told them some body will love the fact it's still got the original stuff.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359291467' post='1952493']
The relative fragility of the luthite bodies will reduce the numbers of these basses in good condition. However I think the collectable bass is more likely to be the Ibanez Affirma which is what the Ergodyne A style bass was based on.
[/quote]
I saw an Affirma on a popular auction site last year. It had a starting bid of £1,5000. It didn't get any bids.