Why become a member? ×

What are going to be future collectables?

BetaFunk

I don't mean vintage Fenders, Gibsons, Musicmans etc but what basses that aren't a lot of money now are going to be collectable in say 10 years time?

Just a bit of fun but who'd have ever thought that those Japanese guitars and basses of the 60 s and 70s would ever sell for the money they do today.

I don't know what the ceiling is going to be but Shergold/Hayman guitar/bass prices seem to be on the up over the last couple of years. I bought a Hayman 4040 bass about 5 years ago for around £200, sold it 3 years ago for much the same. Last one I saw on eBay went for over £500. Marathon basses seem to fetch around £350-£400.

This question comes up from time to time, and the real answer is no one can really tell.

However I think that there are 5 things that need to happen:

1. Will no longer be in production. The company that makes them might still be going but the collectable instruments will be ones that are no longer being made.

2. There was a reasonable number made (but not too many). Probably somewhere between 100 and 2000. I mustn't be so rare that the chances of finding one are next to impossible, but at the same time not so common that they show up on eBay every week.

3. There needs to be a fair degree of consistency from one example to the next. That rules out custom builders like Sei, where although they have a fixed range of body shapes within the ranges each instrument is so completely unique that the only common features are the shape and the name on the headstock.

4. The instruments have a unique feature (or set of features) that have not been copied elsewhere.

5. They are associated with at least one big-name player with a unique sound.

Good luck with your predictions.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359204420' post='1951496']
This question comes up from time to time, and the real answer is no one can really tell.

However I think that there are 5 things that need to happen:

1. Will no longer be in production. The company that makes them might still be going but the collectable instruments will be ones that are no longer being made.

2. There was a reasonable number made (but not too many). Probably somewhere between 100 and 2000. I mustn't be so rare that the chances of finding one are next to impossible, but at the same time not so common that they show up on eBay every week.

3. There needs to be a fair degree of consistency from one example to the next. That rules out custom builders like Sei, where although they have a fixed range of body shapes within the ranges each instrument is so completely unique that the only common features are the shape and the name on the headstock.

4. The instruments have a unique feature (or set of features) that have not been copied elsewhere.

5. They are associated with at least one big-name player with a unique sound.

Good luck with your predictions.
[/quote]
Of course no one can tell. That's the fun!

The reason i was thinking this was a conversation had at my local guitar shop. They reckon that pointy guitars are going to be collectable in the future and i just wondered what else?

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1359224935' post='1951914']
I would say kubicki ex factor, Billy's Attitude in green. original steinbergers.
Pedals? Id say bass whammy, akai deep impact.
Amps? '80s gallien kruegers.Aguilar .
[/quote]
Those are all definitely future collectables but also very collectable now. I was meaning things that were cheap and nobody really wanted. I remember seeing Mutron 111s going for 30-40 US Dollars in the early 90s. Also all those Jedson, Columbus, Satellite and Hondos that you couldn't wait to trade in for the real thing!

Don't know how long you've lived in Twickers Ray but i remember that Bells of Surbiton was full of those brands in the 70s and 80s. They'd be worth a fortune now!

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1359235835' post='1952075']
SGC Nanyo Bass Collections?
Surely the penny will drop soon as to how undervalued and how great these basses are?
[/quote]
Now you're talking. I saw an early 1990s 301 for 80 quid recently.

I bought one of the about 20 years ago brand new. Absolute gem!!!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1359236073' post='1952078']
Now you're talking. I saw an early 1990s 301 for 80 quid recently.

I bought one of the about 20 years ago brand new. Absolute gem!!!
[/quote]

Great price, that one has slipped through very cheaply - prices have been creeping up a bit in recent times on these.
They are as good as any of the other 20/30 year old MIJ basses that are around IMO.
If I spot one of the higher spec natural wood ones I would be very, very interested.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1359227462' post='1951964']
Also all those Jedson, Columbus, Satellite and Hondos that you couldn't wait to trade in for the real thing!
[/quote]

Nah! As an impoverished teen in the 70s I thought they were naff and even now I still think they're naff. Certainly not an investment.

80s Arias and Ibanez basses, now that's a different thing altogether.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1359235835' post='1952075']
SGC Nanyo Bass Collections?
Surely the penny will drop soon as to how undervalued and how great these basses are?
[/quote]

I used an sb320 in trans green as my main bass for a long time, fantastic bass. I sold mine for £250 a few years ago and it was a better built bass than most of the stuff in the £1000+ region available new now :)

Those are all definitely future collectables but also very collectable now. I was meaning things that were cheap and nobody really wanted. I remember seeing Mutron 111s going for 30-40 US Dollars in the early 90s. Also all those Jedson, Columbus, Satellite and Hondos that you couldn't wait to trade in for the real thing!

Don't know how long you've lived in Twickers Ray but i remember that Bells of Surbiton was full of those brands in the 70s and 80s. They'd be worth a fortune now!
[/quote] a fortune? how much do you think a jedson will go for? factor in inflation too and they arn't that good.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1359242696' post='1952157']
a fortune? how much do you think a jedson will go for? factor in inflation too and they arn't that good.
[/quote]
If you read my quote you'll see i said that the shop was full of these sort of guitars and was a very big shop. I think that you're missing my point though. You couldn't give these guitars away a few years ago. Nobody wanted them until the world went retro crazy. That was obviously the time to buy then and NOT when they were new. That's my point.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1359244687' post='1952176']
If you read my quote you'll see i said that the shop was full of these sort of guitars and was a very big shop. I think that you're missing my point though. You couldn't give these guitars away a few years ago. Nobody wanted them until the world went retro crazy. That was obviously the time to buy then and NOT when they were new. That's my point.
[/quote] ah I get you now!

The moral of the story is that you should buy whatever is really unfashionable!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1359245256' post='1952179']
ah I get you now!

The moral of the story is that you should buy whatever is really unfashionable!
[/quote]
There's no moral to it but yes, probably. Oh, and it's got to be cheap.

I forgot to say Luke that in the 70s if you'd have got on the bus with a Jedson you would have been the height of fashion!!!

Edited by BetaFunk

[/quote]

Oops! Just reread your op,) in which case i would say, Encore , Dean stylist, and hondo/columbus and satellite that you already mentioned,)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1359245985' post='1952189']
Oops! Just reread your op,) in which case i would say, Encore , Dean stylist, and hondo/columbus and satellite that you already mentioned,)
[/quote]
No worries Ray. Do you remember Bells Musical Instruments in Surbiton? I gazed in that shop window many times in my youth!

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1359246857' post='1952193']
Sorry no. Ive been living in twickenham 10 years . As i dont drive, only been to surbiton a couple of times .) ( where's the blush icon?)
[/quote]
You haven't missed a lot in sunny Surbiton. In fact i don't go there since Bell's music emporium closed some years ago.

P.S. I'm Twickers born and bred.