Why become a member? ×

Why do some people refer to their bass as 'she'?!

tedmanzie

You know the sort of the thing.. "I've had her for ten years now but I've got my eye on a new bass so she's got to go, a lovely neck with great fat sound, she's a real players bass"...

etc.

Yuk.
When people refer to their basses / cars / boats etc as 'she' it makes me squirm.
If I wanted to refer to inanimate things as 'she' (or 'he') I'd move to France, Italy or Spain where they do it properly.
So can you stop it please, or I'm leaving the country.

For boats 'she' is pretty much the accepted terminology, anything else a bit weird.

Mind you, I think that football fans who continually go on about '[u]we[/u] should have done this' , or ' [u]we [/u]played better in the second half etc' are even more deluded. You're just watching, probably not even at the game, there is no WE! You are just a punter!

They do it with cars too. They even give them girls names. They're mental. Not in a cut you up and keep the bits in the freezer way.... well, hopefully not :(

The nearest my fleet of ancient BMWs gets to names is some very fruity ones when they break (often!).

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1359202822' post='1951462']

Mind you, I think that football fans who continually go on about '[u]we[/u] should have done this' , or ' [u]we [/u]played better in the second half etc' are even more deluded. You're just watching, probably not even at the game, there is no WE! You are just a punter!
[/quote]

And, to completely go off-topic, "it's YOUR Marks & Spencer". I'm guessing if I walk in and ask for the keys to MY shop it's going to end badly!!

What's wrong with it? "It makes me squirm" isn't even justifying why you think it's wrong.

There's nothing wrong with referring to inanimate objects as "she" or even naming them IMO. Posting publically on a forum that (I assume) will contain a lot of people that do what you don't like accusing them of not being in touch of reality or asking them to stop really makes you look very judgemental without any kind of justification.

Well ya know, each to their own I suppose. My basses took a considerable amount of time and effort to co-design and it became a lot easier in conversation just to name the bass under construction - a bit of a code name referring to the neck 'logo' that ended up being inscribed on the control panel cover too. My 7 string bass in my Avatar took 9 months to 'create' too. So, yes, I guess that personified the bass - i actually like it that way. The name itself partly came from my nickname and also the name of a song by guitarist Geoff Whitehorn. I dunno, maybe it's tipping my hat to my fave musicians who have instruments that are 'named' too. Brian May refers to his 'Red Special' guitar as "The old lady" and Billy Sheehan's original precision/tele frankenbass is known as "The Wife"

Calling it she or he for me is a bit more tongue in cheek, but if i were going for a choice, I'd prefer a 'she' sat on my lap than a 'he' heh heh!

With ref to football players in the post above - I always thought a player said 'we' to blame the other team mates for their own dire playing lol.

When I refer to my basses nowadays I call them "it", but when I only had three of them I gave them male names. Now that there are seven of them I just say "the upright 5", "the fretless 5", "the 4" etc. with the exception of my student bass, which I don't play any more but still cherish, which goes by the name Barry (don't ask).

I think a name for your bass is ok, it just doesn't necessarily have to take on a 'sex' with it.

My Sandberg has a name 'The Bandit Bass' it (and my username) derives from my old Suzuki Bandit motorbike, I sold the bike (after much heart wringing) but swore to spend the money on something fun and hence the bass has to be 'The Bandit Bass' and it also had to be red..

Having just typed the above, I've probably just realised that I'm in no position to question giving a bass a sex..... :blink:

Is it me or is there a lot of meanness on BC this yr? Since the start of the year there has been a few 'Most hateful threads (quotes, songs etc). Criticising people for Youtube vids, other critical threads. Now this, criticising for terminology and use of words..f*** me this is sad. I'm sure BC not always been this bad!

Edited by Lord Sausage

How about: I really love that bass, it's colour is White Blonde - like your hair, it reminds me of you so much - it's a bit expensive but I couldn't liken you to a cheap bass could I? If I get it I'll call it Carole after you, it'll always remind me of you, I'll alway love it & look after it like I will you :gas:
Sort of excuse - of course I don't know if it would work :lol:

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1359201602' post='1951438']
If I wanted to refer to inanimate things as 'she' (or 'he') I'd move to France, Italy or Spain where they do it properly.
So can you stop it please, or I'm leaving the country.
[/quote]

So should you leave the country and go to France you would discover that "she" is correct (for basses anyway)

la guitare basse, "la" being the female definite article.

Steve

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1359202822' post='1951462']
For boats 'she' is pretty much the accepted terminology, anything else a bit weird.

[/quote]

Players and coaching staff use the 'we' to refer to the club as a whole, including the fans. A Football club is a club, without the fans it would be nothing. Fans are very much a part of it, and contribute to it's continued existence. Ask any sport psychologist the importance of crowd support.

Back OT I think it's similar the reasons boats are 'she'. The vast majority of bassists are men, I would guess the vast majority of those who call their bass 'she' are straight, and would not want to touch a male in the intimate way we touch our basses.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1359203965' post='1951481']
What's wrong with it? "It makes me squirm" isn't even justifying why you think it's wrong.

There's nothing wrong with referring to inanimate objects as "she" or even naming them IMO. Posting publically on a forum that (I assume) will contain a lot of people that do what you don't like accusing them of not being in touch of reality or asking them to stop really makes you look very judgemental without any kind of justification.
[/quote]

+1.
Well said that man!

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1359207335' post='1951552']
Players and coaching staff use the 'we' to refer to the club as a whole, including the fans. A Football club is a club, without the fans it would be nothing. Fans are very much a part of it, and contribute to it's continued existence. Ask any sport psychologist the importance of crowd support.
[/quote]
This!

I don't think it's worth worrying about , or analysing to any great extent :scratch_one-s_head:

I do think some things - basses/guitars included are more feminine/masculine for some reason. I think my fiesta red bass has lovely curves and is a joy to hold - so SHE must be feminine , right? :unsure:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359206772' post='1951540']
Female Basschatters...

Do you assign a gender or name to any of your musical instruments?
[/quote]

Not at present. I think sometimes things just seem to acquire a name or a gender of their own. I'm still waiting for that to happen with mine
If you make too much effort to think of a name, that's when it can get a bit squirmy ...like
"Say hello to Miss Fenella Fender"

But if it just happens, that's coool. :D