Why become a member? ×

Why do some people refer to their bass as 'she'?!

tedmanzie

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359395267' post='1954118']
Don't think he did even. The wartime government told the British public Hitler called Germany 'The Fatherland' for propaganda purposes... not sure how that would work. Of course I may have dreamt all this - I can't be bothered to Google it. Seig Heil!
[/quote]

Seig heil, mein fuhrer!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1359368161' post='1953497']
Just be sure to draw a line at talking to such objects. [/quote]

Grunting is fine though.
Jazz Pianists grunt the best.
http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/52373-piano-grunting-thread/

Garry

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1359394894' post='1954113']
................. some psychologists would say he called it the fatherland because of something in his upbringing. Can't remember exactly what they said.
[/quote]

........ as did those from the vast majority of Eurpean countries; I can only think of the UK and Russia that doesn't. It may be connected with countries that were colonised to various extents by the Danes/Vikings, (which I'm currently reading about) though - I'm fairly sure that Jews called their lands their Fathersland, from Abraham's days?

As I recall, Hitler did call it "Mutterland" instead of "Vaterland" which was the norm. As I recall, a German psychologist (presumably in exile) published a paper about Hitler during WWII and said that he was fixated on a pre-WWI symolism, where Austria was his old tired father, and Germany was his young vibrant mother, about to be violated. Sounds a little thin, but he did predict that Hitler would commit suicide in a symbolic womb, which he kind of did, depending on how large and fortified you consider wombs to be.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1359414896' post='1954558']
As I recall, Hitler did call it "Mutterland" instead of "Vaterland" which was the norm. As I recall, a German psychologist (presumably in exile) published a paper about Hitler during WWII and said that he was fixated on a pre-WWI symolism, where Austria was his old tired father, and Germany was his young vibrant mother, about to be violated. Sounds a little thin, but he did predict that Hitler would commit suicide in a symbolic womb, which he kind of did, depending on how large and fortified you consider wombs to be.
[/quote]

That was it! He committed suicide in an underground bunker with Eva Braun didn't he? Then the Nazi's burned his body so it couldn't be violated or used as some kind of symbol of winning the war.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359454841' post='1954870']
Shame. It only ever has good things to say about [i]you[/i].
[/quote]
It bloody should do as well, i give it a drink when that light comes on the dash & keep it clean whenever it gets mucky & it still behaves like Axl Rose at the sweetie counter in a busy supermarket sodding git :angry:

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1359453627' post='1954851']
I call my car F*c#ing Ar$# Bas*#rd Tw#*ing piece of Sh*te
[/quote]

A few months ago, my five year old daughter decided that our two family cars should have names.

We have a metallic blue Kia Sportage that Mrs C drives, and my black Skoda Octavia vRS.

I'm not exactly sure what we were expecting when the names came. My daughter is not a very "girly" girl as she likes dressing up and playing as a pirate, a cowboy, a wizard.... never a princess or anything like that.

Anyway. Mrs C now drives around in "[i]Bessie[/i]" and I am the proud owner of "[i]Frank[/i]". Bizarrely, in all the snow last week, when my car was struggling for purchase, I found myself urging "him" on with calls of "come on Frank, you can do it...". :huh:

Kids eh? :D

Edited by Conan

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1359477454' post='1955347']
Ah, how sweet. Perhaps people who name their basses are also five years old? ;)
[/quote]

Hmmm.... I should ask her to come up with names for my three basses then! She is nearly 6 now, so I can imagine the response: "Daddy, naming inanimate objects is [i][b]so[/b][/i] last year!" :D

Ok then, here's a thing, as Musicians we are surely supposed to be imaginative and creative types. This surely would let us enjoy the metaphorical gender of our instruments, which we surely must have some kind of spiritual/emotional bond with?
So as BB King has had a million guitars all called Lucille, it follows that it is not the physical instrument itself that we are so attached to, but the idea of the instrument. It is basses in general that we call she or whatever name it is we have given.

As creative people, we should not narrow our minds to just call these things tools, bits of wood and wire that make thuddy noises, we should call them whatever ethereal beautiful and spectacular name they bring to the backs of our minds.
Or, you know, Trevor or Bob or something.....

Apologies, I appear to have briefly been possessed by some acid-fuelled-hippy-numpty, as you were.
:)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1359491657' post='1955703']
.........As creative people, we should not narrow our minds to just call these things tools, bits of wood and wire that make thuddy noises.............[/quote]

In "Hail, Hail, Rock n Roll" there's a great part with Chuck Berry walking to a plane at a US airport, carrying his own 335 in a case. The i'viewer asks him why he doesn't have his guitar specially cared for, buy it a seat or something. He just says "working man's tools, tax deductable" with a huge smile.

Then I spoilt the film by buying the 2 disc DVD showing the making of the original, and showing how much of a git he was all the way through.

Keef just wanted one of his childhood heroes to sound great live for a change - but jumped thru' hoops to do it. Come to think of it - doesn't he call his 5 stringed Tele "Micawber"?

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1359505213' post='1956018']
Keef just wanted one of his childhood heroes to sound great live for a change - but jumped thru' hoops to do it. Come to think of it - doesn't he call his 5 stringed Tele "Micawber"?
[/quote]

Yep. One of them anyway, nobody seems to know why, I like the theory that he got himself up to his elbows in debt to buy it, but then he's keef, and unlikely to get in debt anytime soon. :)