Why become a member? ×

Why do some people refer to their bass as 'she'?!

tedmanzie

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1359297170' post='1952614']
Shemale basses... that would be disturbing.
[/quote]

Guitars and basses are actually double phallic symbols due to the curvaceous body but long neck worn at crotch level. That is why they are so sexy because there is something for everyone to enjoy!

IMHO this is why a bass is sexier than a guitar...longer neck an all that. :D

[quote name='mbellishment' timestamp='1359313452' post='1952965']
Doesn't the whole objects being called 'she' come from the fact we have a Queen or something? I'm sure I heard once thats why ships are called she.
My basses are she's like.
[/quote]

When we had a King ships were also called she.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1359314716' post='1952990']
When we had a King ships were also called she.
[/quote]

Yeah ships are historically she. As is the sea. She's a cruel mistress etc etc. Mostly frowned up nowadays as superstitious claptrap, but like most anthropomorphism and superstition, brought up when the sh*t hits the fan.

Each to their own though like. The way I see it is, the more likely you are to call basses "she", the more likely you are end up drinking your own piss ;)

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1359364797' post='1953443']
I just call bass guitar's "Planks" with a slight tongue in cheek attitude, but I don't understand why anyone would care if other call a bass guitar "She" If a person owns a bass it's up to them what they call it.
[/quote]

Yes, I've been known to call my 7 string a banjo at times, rather tongue in cheek.

I'm guessing there's a correlation between folks who name inanimate objects and those who also like to name certain parts of their anatomy (inanimate or otherwise).

I can't say I've ever felt the urge to do so myself. But if it floats your boat then by all means... Just be sure to draw a line at talking to such objects. Especially the anatomical ones.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1359371798' post='1953564']
You stick the jack plug in the socket on yer bass. Also you stick the strings in through holes.
AFAIK there are no bits of the bass that you then stick into other things.
Thus it is a she. :)[/quote]

Plus some can be high maintenance, some aren't, some take ages to get ready before you take them out and too much of one and you get a head-ache.

edit: apart fromall of the ladies on BC of course, stating the obvious really, erm erm, and they look good with a minimum of scrubbing up. :P :ph34r: :happy:

Edited by Big_Stu

I'm with the OP to some extend in that I find it mawkish, sentimental and ultimately pretty cringeworthy. Don't get me wrong, I do have a certain fondness for my basses and would be sad if they were destroyed in a fire or whatnot, but at the end of the day they are just things, just tools for doing a particular job.

I just happen to believe that being overly attached to ones possessions is not a healthy state of being. I think this explains my automatic revulsion to the idea of naming them - to my mind it seems like misplaced sentimentality. But whatever, if that's what floats your boat, then go for it, I guess it doesn't do anyone else any harm...