Why become a member? ×

Why do some people refer to their bass as 'she'?!

tedmanzie

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1359229227' post='1952003']
Ok I'll let you in on my weird crazy meter...
Your reply is pretty weird!
So maybe you are crazy.
And what is a passing transient?
[/quote]

I'm not crazy, I have a certificate and everything.

A transient is a polite southern euphemism for a homeless individual. And passing is, well, passing.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1359224581' post='1951911']
I hope I've got this right now, but I was under the impression we use "she" to describe ships as relic from when English used to masculine and feminine. Think I got that Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson.

[/quote]

Great idea, and I love Bill Bryson's work.

Unfortunately the two languages we derive most of English from give us "le bateau" (masculine) and "das schiff" (neutral). Those ultimately lead to "boat" and "ship" and neither started off as "she".

Ah well ...

I talk about basses on the forum using 'she', it just gives a flow to the chat, and in a build diary for example things become a little more three dimensional. I have never given names to my basses though, but my friend Anthony has. He calls my Thunderbird 'The Electric sp**k Rod', a sly dig at my attempts to overcome my small penis size by over compensating in my choice of electric sp**k rod.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1359201602' post='1951438']

If I wanted to refer to inanimate things as 'she' (or 'he') I'd move to France, Italy or Spain where they do it properly.
So can you stop it please, or I'm leaving the country.
[/quote]

Mine are all named after women I have a soft spot for - Dita (von Teese), Jessica (Rabbit), Mila (Jovovic) and Bettie (Paige)

Don't slam the door on your way out :D

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1359280160' post='1952318']
Mine are all named after women I have a soft spot for - Dita (von Teese), Jessica (Rabbit), Mila (Jovovic) and Bettie (Paige)

Don't slam the door on your way out :D
[/quote]

And with those Ladies, you'd be heading towards the door on your knees! :blink:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1359283194' post='1952357']
And with those Ladies, you'd be heading towards the door on your knees! :blink:[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]I wouldn't pound 'em - I'd line 'em up and spank me monkey at 'em.[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359206772' post='1951540']
Female Basschatters...

Do you assign a gender or name to any of your musical instruments?
[/quote]
Nope, my things get called by the brand or model ie: "the peavey" "the westone" "the jazz" etc.
If I named them i couldn't swap or sell them, which I do not often but only from time to time.
Names are reserved for dogs!

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1359201602' post='1951438']

Yuk.
When people refer to their basses / cars / boats etc as 'she' it makes me squirm.
If I wanted to refer to inanimate things as 'she' (or 'he') I'd move to France, Italy or Spain where they do it properly.
So can you stop it please, or I'm leaving the country.
[/quote]

Squirm away and you'll find weve got plenty of airports and docks that you can use to leave.

But seriously......i dont see why it should be a mystery why people do this. Guitars are beautiful, they have a personality and an aestheic. They are curvaceous and designed to be held close to the body. I love my guitars and I do refer to them as female.

Explain to me where im going wrong and why i should stop and i may just ignore you.

When you begin to think what other people do is anywhere near your business your going to hit trouble pretty quickly.

Im going now as im bored!

Edited by Voodoosnake

[quote name='Voodoosnake' timestamp='1359290378' post='1952473']

When you begin to think what other people do is anywhere near your business your going to hit trouble pretty quickly.

Im going now as im bored!
[/quote]

I think you'll find when that we're not allowed to debate an idea we all might be in trouble?

I name mine, though not always female. I never take time to think of a name though, either a friend does it, or it's the first one that comes into my head when i play it. Every instrument and amp used in my band has been named actually, even the drums.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

It won't be long before ships being called "she" will be the preserve of fictitious Pirates. I've a few sailors in my family. Never once have I heard any of them refer to ships as "she". They're all called "boats" or "the boat". Legal documents don't refer to ships as she any longer either ( so I'm [s]un[/s]reliably informed by the internet). Though I have copies of some registration papers for a river cruiser somewhere or other and don't recall any "she"s in it. The same river cruiser is never referred to as "she", but again as "the boat". As in, "we're gonna need a bigger boat".

Edited by bigjohn