Why become a member? ×

P or J for covers?

Rumble

[quote name='Rumble' post='21030' date='Jun 20 2007, 09:01 PM']If you had the choice between a P bass [u]OR [/u] a jazz for playing covers (70' to present day), which would it be and why?

(I'm thinking Lakland DJ or Bob Glaud)

A[/quote]

Don't forget the Lakland Duck Dunn.

[quote name='Rumble' post='21030' date='Jun 20 2007, 09:01 PM']If you had the choice between a P bass [u]OR [/u] a jazz for playing covers (70' to present day), which would it be and why?

(I'm thinking Lakland DJ or Bob Glaud)

A[/quote]

Jazz - more versatile for covers.

[quote name='paul, the' post='21184' date='Jun 21 2007, 02:52 AM']I've heard the Joe Osborns are weighty - although I've never tried one.[/quote]
I can confirm that the JO's are a bit weighty. I have a 5 string weighing in at 12 Ibs! Needless to say, it gives my shoulder a bit of grief after 45-60 mins continuous playing. Hence, I'm on the hunt for something a bit lighter.

[quote name='Rumble' post='21055' date='Jun 20 2007, 09:44 PM']Don't these bare an uncanny resemblence to rocking horse poo in the second hand market?![/quote]

there must be something right about them then... :)

looking on the web page, it just screams Fender P-Bass to those who don't know better...

[url="http://www.lakland.com/basses/dunn.htm"]http://www.lakland.com/basses/dunn.htm[/url]

Edited by Paul Cooke

I've asked myself this question many times, with no satisfactory answer, so with my covers band I use a Precision and a Lakland DJ. Myself and the guitarists sort out the set to minimise the number of guitar changes we need to do between us without ruining the dynamics of the set.

If I HAD to choose one, it would be the DJ, on the basis that it has J retro fitted which makes it very versatile and has a wider range than the Precision.

While we're all talking Lakland - why not try the 44-02 or 55-02. You get all the versatility of a Jazz with a MM pick up at the back (splittable) which gives a array of sounds for covers. I use my 55-02 in a Blues Brothers tribute act (not very authentic, I know but as mentioned above, I can't find any rocking horse manure at the moment!) and it comes through big and fat and very suitable for that. There's not a lot they can't do. If it's J or P though - J everytime for me.

Personally I used to bring one of each (I never do a paid for gig without a back-up, even though I've never needed one), now I bring a pair of DJ5s, one with Bartolini pre-amp and one passive. The passive one does a reasonable facsimile of a P-Bass.

Truthfully though, so long as you have a good quality instrument, you can't really go wrong with either the P-Bass or J-Bass in a covers environment, though a P-Bass might need a lot more careful EQ-ing to get the right tone for some tunes.

If I was pressed to choose, I'd go with the passive DJ5 as it has, without doubt, the most musical passive controls I've ever encountered.

[quote name='Rumble' post='21199' date='Jun 21 2007, 08:03 AM']I can confirm that the JO's are a bit weighty. I have a 5 string weighing in at 12 Ibs! Needless to say, it gives my shoulder a bit of grief after 45-60 mins continuous playing. Hence, I'm on the hunt for something a bit lighter.[/quote]

Yea, I reckon a s/h JO4 Skyline would probably be the best non-ridiculously expensive bass available if it wasn't for the weight.

Fudging trade-offs.

A bit too sterile looking for me too.

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='paul, the' post='21517' date='Jun 21 2007, 06:46 PM']Yea, I reckon a s/h JO4 Skyline would probably be the best non-ridiculously expensive bass available if it wasn't for the weight.
Fudging trade-offs.

A bit too sterile looking for me too.[/quote]

Or a Jazz Bass Special (PJ arrangement on a P bass body and Jazz neck) or the Fender Aerodyne, which is a sweeet PJ config Jazz bass.

Like i said in a previous Fender post:

A USA Jazz with S1 switching, J and P tones, thats what i use for covers anyway :). Although i generally only use one sound, the sound i like, the crowds are generally to pissed to say "that bass tone he's got is a 70's whereas the song is 90's" or whatever lol

I'm becoming increasingly interested in trying a lakland after this thread though, i don't think i've ever tried one.....ever!
What would people say the DJ or JO has over a fender USA jazz?

Cheers
Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='Sean' post='21328' date='Jun 21 2007, 12:31 PM']While we're all talking Lakland - why not try the 44-02 or 55-02. You get all the versatility of a Jazz with a MM pick up at the back (splittable) which gives a array of sounds for covers.[/quote]
That would be my ultimate, but they don't come up very often and when they do (I've seen the one mistaben (?sp) is flogging) I don't like the finish. I'd really like one with a tobacco finish.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='21353' date='Jun 21 2007, 01:16 PM']Personally I used to bring one of each (I never do a paid for gig without a back-up, even though I've never needed one), now I bring a pair of DJ5s, one with Bartolini pre-amp and one passive. The passive one does a reasonable facsimile of a P-Bass.[/quote]
I'm finding it very difficult not to hate you right now!! :huh: I'd love just one DJ, nevermind two of 'em.

[quote name='Sibob' post='21543' date='Jun 21 2007, 07:32 PM']Like i said in a previous Fender post:

A USA Jazz with S1 switching, J and P tones, thats what i use for covers anyway :). Although i generally only use one sound, the sound i like, the crowds are generally to pissed to say "that bass tone he's got is a 70's whereas the song is 90's" or whatever lol

I'm becoming increasingly interested in trying a lakland after this thread though, i don't think i've ever tried one.....ever!

Cheers
Si[/quote]
I totally agree that when someone is so drunk they can no longer remain vertical without assitance, it's highly unlikely that they'll be passing objective comments on my bass tone. Problem is, I'll be stone cold sober and frettin' about it if it doesn't sound just right.

With regards to the Fender Vs Lakland question, it could almost warrant a thread all of it's own, but I have yet to hear a non-vintage Fender that IMHO sounds as good as my JO.

[quote name='Sibob' post='21543' date='Jun 21 2007, 07:32 PM']Like i said in a previous Fender post:

Cheers
Si[/quote]

Lakland: Lindy Fralin pup, consistent quality control, legendary endorsement.

Fender: Time honored mojo, the originator of the design, all my favorite electric bassists play(s/ed) one.

I'm not the person to answer though, I own neither a Lakland, nor vintage Fender.

[quote name='paul, the' post='21607' date='Jun 21 2007, 09:41 PM']Lakland: Lindy Fralin pup, consistent quality control, legendary endorsement.

Fender: Time honored mojo, the originator of the design, all my favorite electric bassists play(s/ed) one.
I'm not the person to answer though, I own neither a Lakland, nor vintage Fender.[/quote]

DJs have (or had) Aero pickups. Body is smaller but still Jazz shaped, quality is astounding. Block inlays, bound neck, string through bridge.....

You'd need to really play one to feel the difference. Sounds trite I know but true...

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='21084' date='Jun 20 2007, 10:33 PM']...but I find my SR5 better for my covering needs (function stuff..you know the type of thing) -the fivers are a lot mer versatile than the SR4[/quote]

OK, thanks guys for your suggestions so far. What about the SR5 (as suggested by nottswarwick)? And let's put it in the pot with say....... something like a Warwick Corvette and one of the older Statii (Eclipse etc.. still with graphite neck)?

All still roughly in the same bracket. Which one would you choose now? Jazz, SR, Warwick, Status?