Why become a member? ×

Glen Campbell doc this friday, BBC 4

Stu-khag

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p013nf55"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p013nf55[/url]

Very nice doc made by the team at BBC Wales.
here's a clip with Carol Kaye playing.
The lady still has amazing timing, no music was played to her during the interview. They were able to overlay the music in the edit a few weeks later!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358165527' post='1933965']
Wichita Lineman is one of my all time favourite songs and lyrics. Should be a good doc this. Thanks for the nod.
[/quote]

abolutely!

"and I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time." One off the best lines ever. String arrangment is beautifull to. Amazing song. Ill be watching.

A

He's had a long and intresting career. Shame his condition will cut his career a bit short. An old mate of mine saw him in concert a couple of years ago and said he did get a little 'lost' in one or two song introductions but got through it like a trooper. I think some of his children were in his backing band.

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1358169782' post='1934074']
abolutely!

"and I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time." One off the best lines ever. String arrangment is beautifull to. Amazing song. Ill be watching.

A
[/quote]

It's an amazing line (ignore pun), but my favourite is 'I know I need a small vacation, but it don't look like rain'. It's just overloaded (ignore pun) with pathos and resigned acceptance, that line speaks (ignore pun) so deeply to me for some reason.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358165527' post='1933965']
Wichita Lineman is one of my all time favourite songs and lyrics. Should be a good doc this. Thanks for the nod.
[/quote]

Definitely one of the greatest songs ever written.

I was very drunk & singing Wichita Lineman in the early hours of last Saturday morning in a remote farmhouse in the Scottish highlands with (amongst many other wonderful & talented people) Boo Hewerdine & (Del Amitri/Manics/Breeders/etc. producer) Mark Freegard.
One of the most wonderful moments of my life. :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358170318' post='1934105']
It's an amazing line (ignore pun), but my favourite is 'I know I need a small vacation, but it don't look like rain'. It's just overloaded (ignore pun) with pathos and resigned acceptance, that line speaks (ignore pun) so deeply to me for some reason.
[/quote]

Witchita Lineman - probably my favourite record of all time . A slice of perfection . So beautiful and so brilliant it makes me want to cry . That trio of Jimmy Webb songs that Glenn sang - Witchita Lineman , By The Time I Get To Phoenix and Gaveston - form a kind of suite that tell a story about hitherto hidden parts of American life in a particular era . I am genuinely awed by these records .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358170318' post='1934105']
[/quote]

Yep :) Every word and line has so much weight. Makes you think so much of the man in question. Being able to write a song on that subject about such an ordinary thing is both inspired and brave. Its about everyone yet only him. Your mind is taken there. Guy up a pole, on his own, in the middle of nowere yet hes with so many people living thier lives past him. I have an image of Glen resting his head on the tour bus window and watching the telegraph lines and poles waving and flicking past. Then the idea coming to him.

Genious.

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1358191140' post='1934619']
Yep :) Every word and line has so much weight. Makes you think so much of the man in question. Being able to write a song on that subject about such an ordinary thing is both inspired and brave. Its about everyone yet only him. Your mind is taken there. Guy up a pole, on his own, in the middle of nowere yet hes with so many people living thier lives past him. [b]I have an image of Glen resting his head on the tour bus window and watching the telegraph lines and poles waving and flicking past. Then the idea coming to him.[/b]

Genious.

A
[/quote]

That's pretty much what I get, I have a completely vivid impression of the subject, like a film but with smell too.

On your last point, it was Jimmy Webb who wrote it, under similar circumstances.

There is a wonderful BBC R4 documentary from last year about this song with an interview with Jimmy Webb. I wonder if it's findable in the internetz.

EDIT: Here! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013f96w

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358171056' post='1934141']
Witchita Lineman - probably my favourite record of all time
[/quote]
Ditto. Never tire of it, just perfection.

Wasn't it Joe Osborne, rather than CK, on the Jimmy Webb classics though with his famous Jazz bass

So looking forward to this doc...

I found this Campbell clip just the other day. Classic song, the full drama treatment with strings and the key shifts, and WHAT an incredible vocal. The timing and the control is uncanny and the top notes... argh...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utrkirpbk_o[/media]

Edited by KK Jale

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358195973' post='1934745']
That's pretty much what I get, I have a completely vivid impression of the subject, like a film but with smell too.

[b]On your last point, it was Jimmy Webb who wrote it, under similar circumstances.[/b]

There is a wonderful BBC R4 documentary from last year about this song with an interview with Jimmy Webb. I wonder if it's findable in the internetz.

EDIT: Here! [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013f96w"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b013f96w[/url]
[/quote]

Ha! I knew that. Got a bit carried away in the romance of the moment ;)

A

It makes me feel really good that so many people around here share the same feeling for "Wichita Lineman".
I'm from Belgium so I'm not that good with words in English but I completely understand the feelings and thoughts that are shared here.
If you read those few lines it's practically nothing but there is such an immense world behind these words..
I'm moved everytime I hear the song and the weight of those sentences is just incredible...genius songwriting especially since it's not clear what it's about but everybody "understands"