Why become a member? ×

Question for the ladies only please

Evil Undead

My wife plays some bass and guitar, she is small (5ft3, 52 kgs), but with big hands for her size. She favours larger necks for guitar, as she started off on classical guitar, but smaller necks for bass. At the moment she is re-learning the bass, so she went for a simple squier bronco, but she is now looking to slightly upgrade to a squier mustang (one of the mickey way signature ones). For her it's mainly the actual size and weight of the instrument that is a problem. Once she gets some confidence, i'll try to get her to play one of my lighter basses - the status or the aerodyne P. Much more choice on 34' scale than on the short ones.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1357679413' post='1926740']
I also have an Ibanez SRX500. I was quite thrilled with it when I got it, but I keep going back to the Fender now.
The Ibanez just sounds too twangy. That could be the strings of course. I really should try changing them,
[/quote]\

I had this with a SR505 - changed the strings to Status Hotwire ground wound and it transformed it.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1357751421' post='1927845']
\

I had this with a SR505 - changed the strings to Status Hotwire ground wound and it transformed it.
[/quote]

That's really interesting to know, thanks Count.
I think I will definitely try this at some point. I'll need to find a time when I've got half a day to spare though, as that is how long it will probably take me to change them, lol :lol:

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1357751134' post='1927837']
Much more choice on 34' scale than on the short ones.
[/quote]

Thirty-four [i]foot[/i]!? Damn, that's certainly long-scale!

Joking aside, my other half is looking to take up bass. She's been playing my Squier Jazz - likes the feel of the neck, doesn't like the weight or stretch between frets. Took her into GuitarGuitar in Epsom and found an Epi EB-0 for her to try. She got on very well with that - small, light body and narrow short-scale neck. The quality seems to have improved now they're being made in Indonesia, too.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1357751042' post='1927834']

That said, I did find that the five strings have really wide necks and massive string spacing? 19mm if I remember correctly? 4 strings felt a dream, but the 5er a little uncomfortable for the left hand.

[/quote]

Yes, I found my 5-string a bit disappointing. They do have 19mm spacing but I like that and I'm not fussed by wide necks, I was more concerned at the rather flobadob B-string.

Their 4-string basses were (and remain) superb.

i know this question was aimed at the ladies but . . . i hunted down an old 32" scale japanese precision as i wanted to move up from guitar. i've since had some 34" scale basses but i've returned to the 32 as i love the feel of it and it actually sounds great, plus it's light. i'm actually over 6 ft with enourmously long fingers but i still like the smaller scale, probably due to the years on guitar.

i would definitely recommend trying medium scale bases if you find 34" scale too big or heavy. you can buy 32" fender jazz and aerodynes new direct from japan, they are on ebay, plus i have the details of a dealer in london who imports them and sorts out all the duty and all that. pm me if you're interested as i can't remember the name and i'll have to dig it out.

also there was a 32" jazz on the sales forum lately. i happened to try a 34" fender aerodyne in denmark st today and that was pretty cool too - lightweight, nice thin jazz neck and with precision pickup as well as a jazz pickup. looks nice if you're into shiny black things too.

i've not tried anything smaller than a 32" scale but i see fender have some short 30 scale basses at the moment.

good to know there are some women on this forum. kim deal is one of my favourite bass players for keeping it simple and probably the coolest person in the rock universe!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1357752450' post='1927887']
Yes, I found my 5-string a bit disappointing. They do have 19mm spacing but I like that and I'm not fussed by wide necks, I was more concerned at the rather flobadob B-string.
[/quote]

Mine is fine with a 130 gauge string.

I am a small woman with small hands and I play a jazz bass. It's large, cumbersome, heavy and my hands sometimes struggle to reach but I wouldn't swap, it sounds how a bass should sound to me, and providing I keep my hand in I find I can play how I want to play and it sounds the way I want it to. Can't ask for more from an instrument than that. Make what you will from the various potential innuendos provided ;)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1357686025' post='1926913']
Errm, back on topic.

Warwick, Warwick, Warwick. Corvette, to be precise. 4 and 5. I also play a Fortress 5, but it feels heavy after a while. No problem with my tiny tits while playing any of those basses :D
[/quote]
*******Sorry****

I have just coughed coffee up my nostrils & spent the last five mins gasping for air. that is by far the funniest post I've read on here in ages.

As you were .....

• Like 1

I used to have a Hohner B Bass, this was very light in weight and to play, with a slim neck. Can't imagine they go for much now but it was a really nice giggable bass. Through neck, Jazz configuration pups and active/passive. Might be worth a look if one comes up for the right price.

Lighter than my Warwick Corvette 4 (which is also very nice) and a similar size body.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1357820912' post='1928871']
LOL but it's true! I guess being little and in proportion implies that my curves don't get in the way of bass playing! :D But, as I said, the flipside is that even the smallest basses still look huge on me :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Well thats a top quote.....And made everyone in my office think i was having some kind of fit....i still have coffee up my nose

Serious suggestion would be try the Ibanez SR series. They are incredibly ergonomic, have necks even the smallest hands can play and depending on the specific version can be very light as well. They also sound pretty darned good out of the box.

I know a couple of ladies (neither as diminutive in form as BlueJay - who is truly tiny :D) who I have suggested these to and they are very happy owners now who wouldnt change (one of them has more than one SR now because they work so well for her).

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1357821932' post='1928898']
I used to have a Hohner B Bass, this was very light in weight and to play, with a slim neck. Can't imagine they go for much now but it was a really nice giggable bass. Through neck, Jazz configuration pups and active/passive. Might be worth a look if one comes up for the right price.

Lighter than my Warwick Corvette 4 (which is also very nice) and a similar size body.
[/quote]

I have one I could be persuaded to part with. Black. Missing a battery cover. :)

Can't remember how tiny Suzi Quatro is, though I met her ex many a time at gigs & he's a big bugger. As a kid I saw a pic of her with her bass stood next to her & there wasn't much of a height difference. Though a diminutive figure and a Grabber* bass don't seem to mix...............

[size=2]* for the pedants among us - it may be a Ripper - I neither know nor care. [/size]

Heh. spent most of my life as a younger woman wearing leather miniskirts, jackets, hats (à la Klaus Meine of Scorpions), stiletto boots... All still there and a little too large for my present frame, but one day I'll have a Rockstars themed do and dig it all out, and possibly take clothes in appropriately :D

Edited by bluejay