Why become a member? ×

Question for the ladies only please

Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1357713686' post='1927032']
A degree of maturity?!

I have a sense of humour, but I started this thread to obtain information that would be useful and valuable to myself and perhaps others, not to read lesbian and penis jokes.
[/quote]
Sorry Mel.

Mel, come on, lighten up a little. We girls did give you a bit of relevant info in between the guys' laughs, after all.

My two cents is basically to look far beyond Fender and copies thereof, which are relatively big and heavy (not to mention boring!), and find a small bass (Warwick Corvette, one of the little ones from Status if you can afford it, etc.). With small size usually (although not always) comes lighter weight, and better handling. Having said that, even my Corvette 4 still looks huge on me, but hey ho, I am tiny...

Hope you find a bass you can be fully comfortable with. Keep us posted.

Edited by bluejay

Sorry Mel.

On a serious note then - I don't really see why women would have a different agenda to chosing basses than men would. Other than on the whole women tend to be smaller than men and therefore may prefer a smaller lighter instrument.
Although there are bound to be exceptions to that.

And in all seriousness you can't wear a bass high with a bosom like mine. But then I wouldn't want to anyway.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1357734628' post='1927379']
Sorry Mel.

On a serious note then - I don't really see why women would have a different agenda to chosing basses than men would. Other than on the whole women tend to be smaller than men and therefore may prefer a smaller lighter instrument.
Although there are bound to be exceptions to that.

And in all seriousness you can't wear a bass high with a bosom like mine. But then I wouldn't want to anyway.
[/quote]

The theory of it is you adjust your strap whilst sitting - then when you stand up the bass is in the same place so it won't ever make a difference whether you're sitting or standing. Like most folk I know I find that leaves the bass too high when I'm standing - and I only ever stand to play.

I suppose the ergnomics of your average bass are designed to suit a regular framed bloke - except we're all different shapes and sizes anyhow without even starting on breasts.

All of which means the theory goes to rat sh*t so you can only find something that suits you as an individual and not give a toss about what other folk like or you're 'supposed' to like.

And - to be honest - if you ask a question along the lines of 'this one's for ladies only - what are us girls supposed to use' - which could be construed as a sexist remark anyway you're going to get a load of gags about lady bumps in reply.

The basic rule of instrument choice applies to everyone. Choose a bass that feels right and but it - anything that's still wrong to you can be fixed with a screwdriver , a soldering iron and a spray gun , but no amount of money will ever make it feel right.

No penis jokes here - I get those all the time from Mrs Dingus and come here for some refuge - but I you are looking for a bass that is female -friendly in terms of ergonomics a lot depends on your physique ie how tall you are , if you have long arms ect , and also what , if any , problems you are experiencing with whatever bass you are using now . The thing about basses with compact bodys is that they can end up feeling bigger than a traditional Fender design because of the relationship of the neck to the downsized body , and can end up feeling a little ungainly as a result .

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1357733246' post='1927348']
[url="http://www.lunaguitars.com/about.php"]http://www.lunaguitars.com/about.php[/url]
[/quote]
I knew I'd seen a review somewhere of a bass "designed for women". It was a Luna. Thanks for finding a link!

I'm not female but I'm of quite build small for a bloke (178cm, 66kg). I find the Ibanez Soundgear size, shape and weight suits me. I have a Fender Jazz but this is not as comfortable as the Ibanez (the Jazz is also heavier but I think the different specs of Fender basses gives quite a bit of choice here).

May I suggest you have a look at the gear page at www.lynnkeller.com

She is a well respected working bassist. Some of her gear is high end but it might be worth exploring some of the cheaper versions, MTD KZ or Grendel for example.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1357735655' post='1927408']
The theory of it is you adjust your strap whilst sitting - then when you stand up the bass is in the same place so it won't ever make a difference whether you're sitting or standing. Like most folk I know I find that leaves the bass too high when I'm standing - and I only ever stand to play.

[/quote]

Yes I'd heard this, but like you said it can then leave the bass too high when standing. So I practice sitting down and standing up. I usually work on things in the evenings during the week, sittting down with the headphones plugged in. Then have a longer session at weekends to see if I can do the same thing standing up.
When I was first learning it would take me ages to get something standing if I had been practicising sitting. But now I find it relatively easy to make the transition.

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1357738233' post='1927488']
... it might be worth exploring some of the cheaper versions, MTD KZ or Grendel for example.
[/quote]

If you like Jazz basses (I don't, as it happens) the MTD Grendel is a staggering amount of bass for the money ...

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Basses%20SOLD/MTD%20Grendel%201996%20SOLD/2uizuyw.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1357737604' post='1927473']
Surprised there's been no mention yet of the SGC Nanyo Bass Collection basses (the original Made In Japan version) ... very light, small-bodied, superb quality and a delight to play.
[/quote]

Indeed Jack. Here is my bandleader Sheema rocking her SGC Nanyo, she loves that bass.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1357743655' post='1927639']
In all fairness, Nige, she's not actually touching the strings ...

:rolleyes:
[/quote]

That's a skill that a lot of women have . Mrs Dingus pulls my strings without laying a finger on me all the time .

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1357739191' post='1927515']
If you like Jazz basses (I don't, as it happens) the MTD Grendel is a staggering amount of bass for the money ...

[/quote]

Woman and excellent bass player Gail Ann Dorsey plays a five string one of these . Mike Tobias knows how to design a comfy bass .

Hiya Mel,

I got the opportunity to try LOADS of basses at the Cardiff bass bash, some lovely intruments too.

What it did make me realise is that I made the right choice with my Ibanez initially, it does have a slimmer neck, so ideal for smaller hands.

I also have my fretless P bass, I do notice my left hand aches quicker when I play it which I put down to the slightly wider neck.

Also, I don't think I would have been able to have played a 5 string other than my Ibanez, so Ibanez all the way for me.

That said, if money was no object, I'd look at a custom made bass.... my bass teacher has artritis problems after years of whizzing around 6 strings and he had the most amazing bass made for him. The neck is an inch shorter (but still standard 24 frets) and it has a slimline neck. It is a stunning instrument to play.

For short scale advice I know that Deb W has a shortscale fretless.

If you are thinking of a new bass, I'd get down to a shop with a lot or go to a bass bash to get to try some new kit.

I personally view my basses as being an extension of me when I am playing them, so it is really important to have something that feels right.

Yo

I'm a bloke so I can't offer an informed answer, but it could have been a interesting thread .. mind me asking where you were interested to know?

And here's a question related but less gender specific - how many of us have played non 34" scale basses (30/32/33/35/36, fanned free even) and how do we feel scale length does or does not relate to - size of your hands, technique, comfort, tone etc

(I'm especially interested in the above relating to B string tone, feel etc on for example 33" vs 35" instruments!!!)

Tom :P

+1 on the SGC Nanyo Bass Collections. They're so lightweight and easy to play. Personally, I'd upgrade the pickups and/or the preamp but ergonomically they can't be beat.

That said, I did find that the five strings have really wide necks and massive string spacing? 19mm if I remember correctly? 4 strings felt a dream, but the 5er a little uncomfortable for the left hand.

Truckstop