Why become a member? ×

J bass. Decisions to make.

Black Coffee

I am looking to buy a 4 string bass and I have spent a bit of time browsing and looking at the Fender J and have decided it is were I want to go.
I owned a Fender custom shop Jazz version a few years ago and since parting company I have been pining for another J. This time I can't afford the custom shop one so a lesser model is on the cards and given the quality of second hand basses I can't justify a new one.

I don't want to go Mexican this time as I have a Mexican P. But is there a huge difference in a standard USA J and a higher spec USA J ?

In second hand terms there's not much difference in price if you are prepared to be patient, but is it worth waiting for or will any USA J do.

Anyone any thoughts on this or is the 'deluxe' tag a gimmick.

Edited by bassman344

Be aware that the 2012 onwards std Am J's gained the custom shop 60's pickups. The previous few years (at least) had less vintage (more extended highs and lows) sounding p'ups. Not better or worse, just different. The CS 60 pickups will generally give you a darker sounding instrument though.

Also don't forget CIJ Jazzes. Same quality but cheaper ! Stick your own p'ups in and you're laughing !

Any post 2008 AM St Jazz is worth considering - as with any Fender you have to find a good one - and you see them used for very reasonable money . The CS pickups on the 2012 ones sound great , but for a reasonable price you can always swap the pickups on an earlier one for those or a myriad of other hot pickups on the marlket if you so desire .

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1357315403' post='1920906']
A good mexican (if you find one) can be as good as an american.

[/quote]

I've got the MIM 50s P with the anodized pick guard and it's a gem.

I had read a part of a thread a while ago which said that the USA was certainly different but not always better. The first owner of a bass tends to determine on how it will play in and if it is abused it will bear the scars so secondhand is good financially but can be troublesome. It's pretty clear Im not getting a hall pass from the vatcontroller to spend in the £1,000 region so budget will dictate the buy.

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1357317189' post='1920960']
Anybody played the modern player tele bass ???
[/quote]

If you are looking at the Telebass then you may as well buy my funky 54 reissue and route it for a 2nd pup as per a Jazz! :lol:

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/100_2302.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1357319498' post='1921028']
Ahem, at the risk of being a bit controversial I still maintain that the best Fender jazz basses I have owned or played have been Laklands. If you catch my drift!
[/quote]

I have had both. Whilst the Lakland was a very nice instrument I have to say that I preferred the Fender. My son now has the Fender and the Lakland has been moved on. The OP (as usual) will get the whole range of opinions here. The only way is to decide your budget, go out and play as many as you can, and make your choice.

Japanese Fenders are well worth a look but my advice generally is don't worry where it's made, just play as many basses as you can get your hands on until you find one you like and can afford.

Fenders are so variable that buying one without playing it first might lead to disappointment.

Edited by Fat Rich

Well in my limited experience it depends on the individual guitar. The few American models I tried were all good, some were great, The Mexicans were generally pretty good but seemed to vary in terms of set up and lacked the edge of the current USA PUPs

I was hoping that you were going to be open to other suggestions as the Sandberg Umbo is my current weapon of choice.

Also I played a G&L JB-2 today which seems a nice simple jazzer-stronger sound than the Mexican but a slightly different tone to the American Fenders I thought.

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1357317189' post='1920960']
Anybody played the modern player tele bass ???
[/quote]

Yep, I played one in Newcastle over Christmas. Nice and light, felt right and couldn't tell it was made in China. Very nice to play too, an easy neck to get to grips with, a nice size without being too thin. I really did like the sound of the two humbucker pickups. Quite a classic P and J sound but with something a little different that makes them not sound like a virtual instrument as most Fender Precision and Jazz basses do in my opinion! I very almost bought it to be honest. I now really fancy a passive bass with a classic sound (but with a twist). I like how the two pickups were quite far apart so there was a fair bit of distinction in the tone. I don't usually go for a) Fenders or B) classic 50s looking ones but this one grew on me very quickly.

I've read some people say that the strings don't line up with the poles on the pickups quite right and have suggested that putting a more classic bridge on there solves the problem. The model I was playing had a rattle coming from the bridge on the G string (the guy in the shop said they'd give it a full setup to get rid of that and he was quite disappointed that it had gone on display with a rattle).

I'm actually going to put my 5 string BC and my Dean up for sale to fund one but I would like to do a side-by-side comparison with a Squier P first :)

He also gave me a Squier VM Jaguar bass which was in my hands for around 5 seconds before I gave it back and picked up the Tele bass again - it felt awful in comparison but to be honest, my experience of trying out Fenders has told me that two seemingly identical basses can be like chalk and cheese to play. Some are brilliant, some are utterly awful and some are distinctly average.

Like everyone else will do, I'll recommend a bass that I own. :D

The MIM classic 70s jazz.

Great basses at bargain prices.

I also own a MIA US Vintage 75 reissue, a great bass too but not all that different to the classic 70s. And since the price of the US bass is about three times the MIM, I don't think they are anywhere near three times the bass.

I also belive (but stand to be corrected) that the MIM classic 70s jazz is basically the same bass as the Roadworn jazz but without the finish being destroyed and £300 being added to the price for the privilege.

So, MIM classic 70s jazz bass - I think this range is the best balance between quality and price in the entire Fender jazz range, followed by the post 2008 US jazz but they aren't as purty.

Frank.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1357319498' post='1921028']
Ahem, at the risk of being a bit controversial I still maintain that the best Fender jazz basses I have owned or played have been Laklands. If you catch my drift!
[/quote]
Same, glad you waded into the fire first though ;)

I know the dreaded 'squier' tag on the headstock can be a hard thing to live with considering most musicians that know the brand will assume it's a china knock out from this era, but i have a Japanese '92 Silver Series one and i can say hand on heart that it knocks the socks off of 95% of jazz basses I've played and that includes sandbergs, us fenders, etc.

As with most models I'm sure there are good ones and not so good ones, but at the price you can find them at its not a big deal to try one out if you can't play before buying.

Edited by Ashwood1985