Why become a member? ×

J bass. Decisions to make.

Black Coffee

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1357312803' post='1920806']
Be aware that the 2012 onwards std Am J's gained the custom shop 60's pickups. The previous few years (at least) had less vintage (more extended highs and lows) sounding p'ups. Not better or worse, just different. The CS 60 pickups will generally give you a darker sounding instrument though.

[/quote]

I have MIM Jazz from 2002, and have recently put a set of the CS 60 pickups in. They do lose a bit of brightness, but overall sound great. Thick sounding low end, but without sounding muddy. I used to eq the hell out of my sound, but now just leave it flat. Thoroughly recommend these pickups.

[quote name='Ashwood1985' timestamp='1357387461' post='1921895']
I know the dreaded 'squier' tag on the headstock can be a hard thing to live with
[/quote]

Seriously, if it bother people that much, just scrape it off and put a Fender decal on there. Then you'll be happy that you're playing a much better bass than a typically sh*t MIM Fender! (In my experience of trying out Squiers and Fender MIMs.)

Edited by Mornats

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1357338285' post='1921462']
Like everyone else will do, I'll recommend a bass that I own. :D[/quote]

Although presumably we own them because we tried them and liked them enough to buy them... :)

But of course everyone is different, and my personal preferences may not suit anyone else - which is what makes these "recommend me a ..." threads so interesting but ultimately so useless. :lol:

Don't dismiss the current MIM's.Quality is probably the best its ever been. My 2011 Jazz (candy Apple red and maple) is built and finished to a very high standard and features the 09-12 series pickups. Which are very very good, very hot and snappy. Funk machine!