Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Microtubes Vintage

lxxwj

Oh boy, another Darkglass overdrive.

http://www.darkglasselectronics.com/products/microtubes-vintage/

All jokes aside, I'm pretty excited for this. Darkglass is pretty famous now in the bass world for their incredible grit pedals, and I expect no difference in impact from this. I'm expecting this to sound like an overdriven Ampeg.
It's actually cheaper than the B3K, thankfully!

Personally, I'll stick with the B3K simply for the aggressive metal-ness of it, but this looks great for rock and blues bassists.

Might have to pick one of these up! Disappointed there's no tone control though, which is one of the things that made me return my B3K, hopefully this one isn't as bright. I wonder if the 'era' control just affects the EQ before the clipping section like the 'character' control on the VT Bass.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1357678475' post='1926702']
Might have to pick one of these up! Disappointed there's no tone control though[/quote]

agreed - i'm interested in this, but the thing I love about my BB preamp is the 2 band EQ (same reason I like the SFT)... I still don't see the point in this obsession with blend controls with dirt pedals, there is certainly no need for one on the BB or the SFT... and I don't miss one on my grey stache.

Blend is only useful IMHO when using really heavy distortion, like a Bass Big Muff or ODB-3 set to high gain to bring back some clarity and dynamics. Both of these have enough low end by themselves - using a blend to try and bring back lost low end doesn't work that well in my experience!

Anyway I imagine they may bring out a souped up version like they did with the B7K if the demand is there!

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, I've been hankering for a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]B3K as well then this comes out! No stockists near me so will have to buy one blind. Hopefully BC (or TB :ph34r:) communities will help me in my decision![/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :)[/font][/color]

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1357735855' post='1927417']
agreed - i'm interested in this, but the thing I love about my BB preamp is the 2 band EQ (same reason I like the SFT)... I still don't see the point in this obsession with blend controls with dirt pedals, there is certainly no need for one on the BB or the SFT... and I don't miss one on my grey stache.
[/quote]

This....exactly actually :)

Si

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1357735855' post='1927417']

[/quote]
Big +1.

I don't understand the obession either - having a bass control fixes any problems with low end loss when engaged. The other thing with a blend is that the effect usually has to be way up before it becomes audible...

EDIT: Especially in a band mix!

Edited by Stan_da_man

I would like an EQ on the B3K, but i have never found myself needing it and, on the contrary, i always find a blend knob more useful, solo'd and in a mix. A more natural way of retaining low end when needed IMO :)

different to the SFT i'd say, i've not used a VT bass but they may be able to cop similar sounds.

i get my vintage when the first batch ships, and if anyone near me has a VT bass and the equipment to record some samples, then we could AB them.