Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Microtubes Vintage

lxxwj

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1369476382' post='2089594']
Ah, fair enough :) I may have ordered a vintage following that post anyway... ;)
[/quote]

It's funny how it happens, eh? you click on the wrong button my mistake, brush certain keys, and before you blinked twice... you have ordered one! It's exactly what happened to me! :P

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1369488349' post='2089736']
It's funny how it happens, eh? you click on the wrong button my mistake, brush certain keys, and before you blinked twice... you have ordered one! It's exactly what happened to me! :P
[/quote]

I resemble that remark ... :blush:

... and ...

Resistance is futile!

Edited by FretNoMore

Guest FretNoMore

It's very nice but I'm not totally convinced yet, it does have a character of its own, taking out a bit of the low end punch and clarity in my opinion (most drive pedals do though), I think I'm looking for a bit more transparent but still with some growl without changing the tone too much. The quest for the right drive pedal, or pedals, continues ... :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1369423298' post='2089231']

:lol:

still after one of those Basstards?
Depending on how things pan out with the Darkglass and whether the RATM band dies or not (it's been dying slowly over the past few months), I might be persuaded to let it go... you'll be the first to know :)

The Darkglass Vintage should be with me tomorrow, or Monday if I miss the delivery. I have a gig on Thursday that I could use it for... so I should be having fun with it soon... I'll report back.
[/quote]

Damn shame if it does no one I know wants to do a RATM cover band. All the guitards round here are more interested in either grayday or some other shouty band with pointy guitars and long hair.

Tried the Microtubes Vintage last night... and it's very very promising!
It's probably the best "just a touch of overdrive, nearly clean" type of pedal I have tried. It's perhaps a little "dark", but I have not had time yet to fully experiment with it. I like it a lot, that's for sure, 'though.

Used it live a couple of nights ago... I like it a lot. The only "problem" is I like it better than anything else I have for low gain sounds... but I also want some of the higher gain sounds from this... I am going with the Vintage for lower gain sounds and the Joyo Ultimate Drive (OCD clone) for higher gain... but ideally I'd like two Vintage ones... :-P
The Joyo is a great pedal... and £30 new!

I used mine in anger for the second time ( and second band!) last night.
It sits beautifully in the mix and compliments the b3k wonderfully.
The only issue I have is that I did find a couple of settings where I lost a little low end. The era knob I find is very versatile, and distinguishable throughout its movement in the mix.
Another success story from Douglas! And Spencer of course!

• 2 weeks later...

Well iv had a little time with my vintage now, albeit not in a band situation, and I enjoy it quite a lot. I find it really nice as a low gain drive just to warm up the signal, era knob is really good, almost like an elaborate tone knob. It's fantastic at driving the B7K too, the pair really can get almost any kind of overdrive tone between them, well chuffed. Just gotta wait for Doug to design a fuzz...

Guest FretNoMore

I'm not feeling it unfortunately, don't like the mids ... maybe it can work better for me in combination with some other dirt pedal, haven't tried that too much yet. But I think it probably will have to go ...

• 1 month later...

I *LOVE* mine.
I've always used a pretty clean sound for everything I've done because I never liked what most pedals were doing to my tone. However, this pedal is just on all the time.
It's sits there doing exactly what it should... It makes me sound better! No fizz no appreciable loss of my preferred tone...

Just the ticket (for me)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've held off shelling out the big bucks for one of these for a while now. I could have sworn I had my GAS under control. Until this afternoon. Ordered it from Bass Direct and I'll have it Tuesday. Now I'm seriously excited :)

[quote]OKKO Basstard, which is great for fat heavily distorted sounds. I would probably keep this regardless. I use this in the RATM and RHCP bands.[/quote]

How good is at achieving ratm sounds in particular? I've been considering the vt bass to be able to get that sound - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ONEaEg5JI - but do you think the basstard could do a better job?

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1396104846' post='2409987']
How good is at achieving ratm sounds in particular? I've been considering the vt bass to be able to get that sound - [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ONEaEg5JI[/media] - but do you think the basstard could do a better job?
[/quote]

I used to use the OKKO Basstard in my RATM tribute band. It was a cool pedal, but I now have two VT-Bass pedals instead set at two different sounds. They're pretty good for RATM.
I also used to have a Darkglass Vintage... didn't really get along with it.