Why become a member? ×

New basses exceeding high expectations

marcus bell

New Geddy Lee jazz (JPN) has completely exceeded my expectations: workmanship is first rate, tones are balanced all over the board (and no dead notes), finish is beautiful, with lacquered (polyurethaned?) neck and headstock, pots are silent and effective, the pickups are massive (in tone, not size :-) and the growling quality of this thing is worth every penny I paid. Had the additional good luck to get an older style black, Fender logo-bearing hard case with it. Pure heaven!

Spent a few years gigging a Warwick Corvette Rockbass while I saved for something better.
Went to London one weekend with the ex... had a mint time... saw Phantom of the Opera one night and Cardiacs the next... and just before we left, I went into The Bass Cellar on Denmark Street and bought a US swamp ash black Warwick $$. Proper impulse thing... no way I could afford it!
Got it home a few hours after purchasing it, plugged it in and felt like I was in bass heaven!
Don't know if it was just buying that guitar off the back of an amazing weekend or something... but that moment was one of the best moments ever!

Glad you're loving your Kingbass mate... not my thing, but I've seen Level 42 twice and yeah, it's a tone-machine!
Happy new year to you all :)

Young Marcus here got me addicted to the Status. Bought a Matrix 4,the following week bought an Empathy 5. The Jaydee and Aria SB1000 get very little time out as a result ( although they are wonderful basses none the less.) Its just that the stauses work exceptionally well for me. ....

Edited by basslondon

I instantly fell for my P fretless. I wasn't even sure it was what I wanted but the seller offered it to me after I mentioned I was looking for for a fretless on basschat. He had owned it for 16 years because he felt it was *sonically right". I agree and he had it set up right too. Definitely exceeded my expectations.

Thanks m8 if your reading this.

Edited by Pinball

I traded my Marcus Miller on here for a Lakland JO5 (skyline range)

Never been so impressed by a bass. I can't see myself sellin this, ever! It's been my main bass since I got it (7 months ago) and have used it on some high profile gigs and never been disappointed by the tone coming out of this monster!

The only way it could ever be replaced is if John Shuker made me a similar bass, to my exact specifications, but that would involve a lot of money...

Since I started playing bass, I new I always wanted an Ibanez Soundgear. I'd tried only a handful of mid-range Ibanez's (the SR505 and 605) and they were a bit boring... I actually ended up buying an Ibanez BTB475 because of the wicked sound and quality B string. I later found out that that was because of the 35" scale :D.

So when I had the funds to buy a nicer bass, I saved a bit more and looked for an Ibanez Soundgear Prestige, which was a bit of a gamble given my limited previous experience. Also, I wasn't a great player when I purchased it as it was an opportunity that came out of nowhere and I just so happened to have a bit more cash then usual (it was my birthday!). But now I'm really appreciative of how good my Ibanez SR 4005E is. The playability since getting it set up and the sound are what draws me in compared to any other equivalent basses. It really made me understand why people are willing to spend a lot of money (over £1000) on a bass because if mine ever broke, I'd definitely be willing to fork out the extra cash and buy a new one straight away.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1356010731' post='1905649']
Very funny.
I did try it out.
And, although it still works, I doubt I'd buy another Status. Things have not gone well with that bass, and I have neither the time, fuel money, inclination or funds to undo them. That, and it's missing a string. Though I doubt it'd do well as a fiver, seeing as the 4 seems to lack bottom end clout.
Most expensive bass I buy? On paper the best. In reality, sitting in a cupboard. Unloved and unsaleable/untradable.

Even I f*** up sometimes.
[/quote]

Shame that.
I'd agree it doesn't have 'personality' in the way a Ray, P or J has but I like it because it's a blank canvass can I can mod using the knobs on the amp to suit the gig - any gig.
Untradeable? I'll swap you my Bitsa P for it and my favorite dog? ;-)

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1355764202' post='1902416']
The only bass I have ever had that experience with is my Lakland 55-02. Basses typically don't live long with me before I get bored and move onto something else, but this bass has been a blessing to me since I bought it 9yrs ago. It was bought as a back up and quickly became my #1. I wasn't looking for my dream bass at the time as I thought I had already had it...an Overwater Progress III. When I played it at the shop I obviously liked how it sounded and played otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, but it wasn't until I spent plenty of time with it at home when I realised how dynamic and flexible it was. I have used it for funk, gospel, metal, folk, hip-hop...you name it! I can always find the answer I need.

I had a collection of 6 basses when I bought the Lakland. All have gone except the 55-02, which speaks volume to me. At the risk of sounding corny, I have a strong bond with that bass.
[/quote]

Yes I feel the same about a Lakland 44-02 i have had for a few months now - and I thought I only liked passive basses!

• 1 month later...

I took my Warwick Thumb BO5 to a store a few months ago with the intention of part-exing for a Dingwall ABZ. I was a bit infatuated with Dingwalls for a while and this particular one was the first I'd had the chance to play. Hated it! Wasn't anything to do with the fanned frets, it was so light (especially compared to the Thumb) and sounded really flat & lacked punch. Just seemed like half the bass the Warwick was.

I was going to walk back out with my Thumb but I tried out an Overwater Perception instead and was blown away by it. I'd never heard of Overwater before and now I hardly put it down!

(My first forum post btw!)

The G&L Tribute M-2000 impressed me, and it had a Tribute L-2000 and an El Toro raising my expectations first. Not only did it defy those expectations, it even managed to carve out a niche for itself when here was me thinking it would be a slightly "active" sounding L-2000. How wrong was I? The preamp is matched beautifully to the MFD pickups. The frequencies at which the bass/mid/treble controls operate are well chosen. There's lots of bass, mad (possibly too much) range on the mid control, and even with the treble cranked up full there's a musical sweetness to it and none of the harshness that I have found with the treble boost function on the L-2000. All it ever seemed to do was accentuate string noise and generally sound quite grating to the point where I gave the setting up as useless. Not so with the M-2000. Also love the feel of the "reissued" #12 neck profile, slightly thinner at the nut than the Tribute L-2000 and quite a bit shallower, but its no Jazz. It's just comfortable.

Familiar looks, simpler operation, and sounds quite different to its sibling. I think G&L are onto a winner with this one, should calm down those who find the L-2000's array of switches a bit daunting, irritating or off-putting, while not committing outright blasphemy to those die hard tookay fans.

In summary, I was pleasantly surprised by my Tribute M-2000. Bought on a whim, but it's more than good enough to earn an extended stay in my collection :)

My ibanez EDB 550.

It was almost my first bass, my actual first bass was a handed down cheap and nasty P clone (shouldn't complain too much, it was free), a week later the same guy who gave me the P sold me my EDB. I was too new to the bass to appreciate how good it was at the time, but in the 2.5 years since then I've tried or bought many basses that haven't even come close to it, picking it up is like reuniting with an old friend.

Sonically the only thing is own that compares is my BTB 770, but it's an entirely different animal, the bartolini pup's give it a darker and heavier sound, coupled with the 18V preamp it's much louder too. The EDB just has this great clean tone with just a little growl that I love. Never, ever selling her.

[quote name='Descendent' timestamp='1360850682' post='1977359']
I took my Warwick Thumb BO5 to a store a few months ago with the intention of part-exing for a Dingwall ABZ. I was a bit infatuated with Dingwalls for a while and this particular one was the first I'd had the chance to play. Hated it! Wasn't anything to do with the fanned frets, it was so light (especially compared to the Thumb) and sounded really flat & lacked punch. Just seemed like half the bass the Warwick was.

I was going to walk back out with my Thumb but I tried out an Overwater Perception instead and was blown away by it. I'd never heard of Overwater before and now I hardly put it down!

(My first forum post btw!)
[/quote]

Yeah, I've been looking at Overwaters too - i've heard some youtube vids and other tracks with them and like the sound (and the look)... any pics?

my status B2, wanted a buzzard for years, sadly status stopped making the B1 (thanks hans pieter wilfer :(). i was expecting a really nice easy to play bass that would nail the JE tone easily.

oh wow, it did that and then some. even unplugged it has the bite and agrression that John was famous for (yes i know its the fingers too), but every time i play it its like its calling me to play like John :)

and my sandberg just asks to be played every time i pass it.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1360873514' post='1977820']
Yeah, I've been looking at Overwaters too - i've heard some youtube vids and other tracks with them and like the sound (and the look)... any pics?
[/quote]

Pic.

[IMG]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m274/DOTRS/OverwaterPerception.jpeg[/IMG]

The pickups & preamp are really powerful and versatile. Comparing it to my Warwick Streamer which is all machine built - you can tell it's hand crafted but it feels so much sturdier. I'd highly recommend at least trying one out!

Edited by Descendent

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1355764202' post='1902416']
The only bass I have ever had that experience with is my Lakland 55-02. Basses typically don't live long with me before I get bored and move onto something else, but this bass has been a blessing to me since I bought it 9yrs ago. It was bought as a back up and quickly became my #1. I wasn't looking for my dream bass at the time as I thought I had already had it...an Overwater Progress III. When I played it at the shop I obviously liked how it sounded and played otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, but it wasn't until I spent plenty of time with it at home when I realised how dynamic and flexible it was. I have used it for funk, gospel, metal, folk, hip-hop...you name it! I can always find the answer I need.

I had a collection of 6 basses when I bought the Lakland. All have gone except the 55-02, which speaks volume to me. At the risk of sounding corny, I have a strong bond with that bass.
[/quote]

I seriously loved my 55-02 and finances allowing I will have another one someday, it's the best mass market active type thing for versatility, playability and just plain awesomeness!
Despite having my dream acg I still recall fondly my 55-02!

I have recently been shocked and surprised as to how bloody good the g&l jb-2 tribute is! It's so much more gutsy sounding than any other passive j I've tried, with a change of strings and a setup it will be superb!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1356010731' post='1905649']
Very funny.
I did try it out.
And, although it still works, I doubt I'd buy another Status. Things have not gone well with that bass, and I have neither the time, fuel money, inclination or funds to undo them. That, and it's missing a string. Though I doubt it'd do well as a fiver, seeing as the 4 seems to lack bottom end clout.
Most expensive bass I buy? On paper the best. In reality, sitting in a cupboard. Unloved and unsaleable/untradable.

Even I f*** up sometimes.
[/quote]

Just shows how different we all are, one mans...and all that. I find a Streamline has oodles of bottom end through a Barefaced Compact.

Have to agree on the Kingbass though....

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1361403285' post='1985619']

Just shows how different we all are, one mans...and all that. I find a Streamline has oodles of bottom end through a Barefaced Compact.

Have to agree on the Kingbass though....
[/quote]

I primarily use headphones at home. That's where it's most obvious. The bass EQ point is set too high, and the frequency range it covers is also too narrow. It's less apparent through a "real" amp. But most of my practice (95%) isn't done through a "real" amp. Which is probably why I also find it a bit bland, as there's no amp voicing or cabinet colouration to alter things.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1