Why become a member? ×

The magic when all the gear is set up

Martin E

You arrive at the venue and set up all your gear, sound-check done, everything is in it's place and you retire to the bar or whatever whilst the audience/guests arrive. The guitars on stands and drum kit are glinting in the lights, various LED's shine from the amps...

I only play in a function band but love this little bit of theatre. Even before a note has been played a stage full of instruments, amps,monitors etc in dimmed stage lighting has a wonderful magic about it don't you think?

I like the pause between the gear being set up and going on stage. We all sit and have a pint and talk about anything except the gig - it's like it's a banned subject at that time. I think that's good because we can just be mates out for a pint together like the rest of the planet. We've all been around since dinosaurs walked the earth so it's second nature to 'swap heads' in an instant.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1355157559' post='1894755']
I like spending 45 minutes at the end of each gig untangling mic cables......
[/quote]

I used to work with a friend who owned a soun an lights business an often used to help engineering.

I've had a dodgy back for years so never did any post gig heavy lifting and was always assigned to cable gathering and storage.

Somewhat perversely I still enjoy doing this!

I sometimes got to see a friend's band and often end up sorting all their cables for them, lol.

As far as the OP is concerned - I also really like that, everything on stage ready to go moment :)

My favourite bit is when I wake up late the day after a good gig with a warm glow, but absolutely kn*ckered. As a treat for a job well done, I've got into the routine of going for Sunday lunch at the best Indian restaurant around (the Eurasia in Cheltenham) with the good lady as a sort of carrot to look forward to when the going was tough the day before...........

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1355158575' post='1894786']
If it weren't for the inevitable end of evening madness trying to get everything away and safe before Johnny Tosspot and his mates start asking pissedly for a quick go I would agree wholeheartedly :D
[/quote]

Oh, you know Johnny Tosspot too? He comes to loads of my gigs!

Back to OP though, yeah I get immense pleasure looking at everything all set up ready to be used. It really builds the tension in the room.

Truckstop

Yeah, I'm with the OP on this.......there's a sense of satisfaction & a little excitement in seeing things all laid out nicely with a little sexy lighting & some background music gently pulsing through the rig. I always try to take it in, before speaking to people, then heading backstage to chill for a while & get "in the zone"