Why become a member? ×

Are you ready for a boring thread??!

lobematt

Sorry to bring about such a boring topic, but I've been lost in the world of pick choosing recently!

I have been using the green dunlop (0.88mm) picks but I was after something a bit thicker so tried the purple ones (1.14mm). I liked the thickness but they came with a shiny coating on which made them quite difficult to keep hold of mid gig! The most recent picks I've been using are these http://www.djmmusic.com/ItemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=1O-5&MatrixType=1

Heavy Planet Wave picks, these are RUBBISH!!! Never buy them!! The logo on them is raised but seems to go through the pick making them weak, the 5 pack I bought only lasted me a month and all the picks snapped on stage!

So I'm looking for some recommendations!!

I use these Dunlop Tortex triangle picks. Don`t know if they are the ones you were on about, or if you tried the regular Dunlop ones which are shiny, but these are much better to retain a grip on. And, being triangular, essentially they are 3 picks in one!

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/914918/jim-dunlop-tortex-triangle-114mm-purple-single-guitar-pick/"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/914918/jim-dunlop-tortex-triangle-114mm-purple-single-guitar-pick/[/url]

Dunlop 3mm Stubbys, for guitar or bass.
Somewhere I have an ancient tub of Gorilla Snot for slippy picks, another alternative is to drill a hole thru them so that your fingertips touch thru the hole. The bloke who runs Reidy's In Blackburn has patented some picks that have that though I can't see how you can patent something that many have been doing for years.

On the bass it's got to be [url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/herco-flex-75"]Herco Flex 75s[/url]. I tend to buy them 100 at a time, so loosing the odd one at a gig is hardly a problem - I have a couple stashed in every case and gig-bag I carry.

For the guitar all sorts of different ones. Here IMO the different sounds different picks make are more obvious, so it's worth trying different materials and thicknesses.

Edited by BigRedX

On bass guitar, I've settled on the 0.88mm green Dunlop Tortex picks. Any lighter just feels to bendy for me and any heavier misses that "click" to the attack when palm muted. For electric guitar, I like the next gauge lighter, as I have a tendency to tense up my hand and play too hard at gigs, and a little flex in the pick seems to help me moderate that. I like the really heavy ones for my archtop acoustic guitar, either Dunlop Stubbies, 1.5mm pearloid ones from a local music shop, or a bizarre ebony and leather job I found in an old banjo case. Actually, I may have to give that one a go for bass...

For over 15 years I used the Dunlop, Lexan (material) 3mm Stubbies. I recently switched to the new Nylon 3mm Stubbies. They don't wear as quick and they are easier to hold. I use the for both Bass and Guitar, the shape of the tip makes them massively versatile.
After a recent thread I covered one of my old Lexan Stubbies with thin, dense felt and it sounds amazing.
I do have a ton of different thickness picks made from different materials, including steel, and I do use them, but I mostly use the Stubbies.

I barely use them, but I've got a few 'Cactus Picks'. Don't know the thickness but they are pretty thin for use on bass I guess. They've got little prickly bits on them so they don't slip out of your fingers :)

EDIT: Just checked and it's 0.75mm ... anyone else like them this thin??

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1355149648' post='1894616']
I use dunlop nylon black 1mm picks, nice grippy bit on them
[/quote]

ive tried playing with a pick recently and just cant seem to manage it anymore :o :huh:

however from my skinny neck cheese wire strumming days i thoroughly concur with everybody before me selecting 1mm black dunlops :D

Edited by steve-bbb