Why become a member? ×

Do you tell your work colleagues that you play bass?

mentalextra

I have mentioned it on the occasion but I am sure some of them have forgotten it. It's always good to have a hobby outside of work, and sharing these with colleagues can be pretty cool. I have surprised on occasion by visiting a guitar shop with a colleague and having an impromptu ditty or two!

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1354996464' post='1892864']
I have mentioned it on the occasion but I am sure some of them have forgotten it. It's always good to have a hobby outside of work, and sharing these with colleagues can be pretty cool. I have surprised on occasion by visiting a guitar shop with a colleague and having an impromptu ditty or two!
[/quote]

Yeah, I had a moment like that. When you pick up the guitar and play and their mouths are open :D

I wouldn't have a problem with people knowing. When I was a kid I mentioned to the bosses son that I played Bass. He told be he had a Bass but had never taken to it, he then offered to sell it to me for the grand total of £10. He brought it in the next day and when I played it he was actually surprised that I did actually play and gave it to me for nothing! It was only a Satellite P-Bass copy, but it was actually quite nice.

I like that people know I play, you never know when one day someone might hear about it and offer an opportunity to be in a band or something.

It's on my work email signature - see below (phone number removed to protect the guilty) we all have our 'hobbies' on our sigs:

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=1]--[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=1]Dr David Scholefield CISSP OPST MBCS[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=1]Co-founder / Director / Bass Guitarist[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=1]Port80 Wholesale Technology Ltd[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=1]Leads Enterprise Architecture, Security & Risk[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=1]+44 (0)7999 999 999[/size][/font][/color]
[url="http://www.port80.com/david"]www.port80.com/david[/url]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=1]Inventing better ways to trade[/size][/font][/color]

In my last job, I always told the guys I was a Rock star! :rolleyes: They thought I was full of mince until one day a guy came in to buy some stuff and recongised me from one of the pubs I used to gig in regular. When he was asked by my co workers was the band any good, he told them the band was excellent and I was a good bass player.

Unfortunaley I am no longer in the same job or band but hey ho!

And on this subject, I have found over the years co workers either:

Really couldn`t give a toss.

Or well impressed that you play in a band and usually say that they always wanted to play guitar or sing etc.

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355000757' post='1892924']
Oh, one time i plugged in my iPod and played rage against the machine. I then told them that it was my band, and i wrote the song. They all said it was good and they would listen to it if it was available to buy.

Fools. :D
[/quote]

I find that pretty immature and you are the fool, not them.

Edited by Bassman Sam

If you are sitting in a Show/Orchestra pit most nights of the week,
with a Bass guitar hanging around your neck, and maybe another one on a stand,
It is a bit of a give away to the rest of your surrounding work mates - or maybe not ! :lol:

Garry

Edited by lowdown