Why become a member? ×

Do you tell your work colleagues that you play bass?

mentalextra

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1355001866' post='1892936']
I find that pretty immature and you are the fool, not them.
[/quote]
No, that is what gentlemen of my advancing years refer to as a 'wizard wheeze'. Even funnier if you can also find a way to cop some of the download revenue from [i]Killing in the Name[/i]!

My regular band plays at one of my work venues several times a year and colleagues come to watch, so known far and wide.

Come to think of it, why not tell everyone ? aren't we all trying to get gigs left right and centre for our respective bands ? trying to increase our audience ?

For lunchbreaks I nip in the spare room for practice. I keep an acoustic guitar, strat, bass, keyboard, guitar amp (and chapman stick when I had a spare) at work. So yeah, people I know are aware of my noodlings, and sometimes others drop in to see me and get a surprise! I'm pretty introverted with playing though so I try and keep a low profile.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1354995377' post='1892846']
.....or have you acquired superhero status. Also, do you cringe when someone fetches guitar hero into work for a laugh!
[/quote]

Given that I play in the canteen at lunch from time to time (via Headphones/mp3 player), I would suggest that I'm a regular B-cleffed crusader....

(Gets [s] coat [/s] cape) :)

I tell them all to come and see me - when they do I insult and pick on them mercilessly , cleaners and managers alike. They lap it up.

My fave was my ex (and pretty hopeless) manager who told me 'you should have been a professional'.

I said 'so should you ' !!!!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355000757' post='1892924']
Oh, one time i plugged in my iPod and played rage against the machine. I then told them that it was my band, and i wrote the song. They all said it was good and they would listen to it if it was available to buy.
[/quote]

Yeah, that was immature, and you were a fool for not using Biohazard instead. At the very least you could've played 24-7 Spyz! :P

Nice story! Funny stuff, stuff like that. I've pulled a lot of it in my days. Problem was when the situation didn't allow for a correction, and people would still believe it years later, like when I'd so-called "impregnated a sixteen year old American school girl in Paris", and my best friend's mother didn't wanna know about me for a very long time, coz she would [i]not[/i] believe the truth, but [i]would[/i] believe the lie. :blink: :blink: :blink: :lol:

Bassman Sam, you do need to lighten up a bit, "opinion" or not. You weren't there. You don't have the complete picture.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1355093375' post='1894032']
Yeah, that was immature, and you were a fool for not using Biohazard instead. At the very least you could've played 24-7 Spyz! :P

Nice story! Funny stuff, stuff like that. I've pulled a lot of it in my days. Problem was when the situation didn't allow for a correction, and people would still believe it years later, like when I'd so-called "impregnated a sixteen year old American school girl in Paris", and my best friend's mother didn't wanna know about me for a very long time, coz she would [i]not[/i] believe the truth, but [i]would[/i] believe the lie. :blink: :blink: :blink: :lol:

Bassman Sam, you do need to lighten up a bit, "opinion" or not. You weren't there. You don't have the complete picture.

best,
bert
[/quote]

The people are work with are decent people, but i doubt i will have much contact with most of them after i stop working there. I don't really care if they hear the song on the radio one day and think "That's milton's song!". Infact, i would quite like to be there at that moment. I would laugh my head off.

One of them also thought my last name was Rockefeller. I mean, what!? if you are silly enough to actually believe it, can you blame me for taking the piss a bit?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355000757' post='1892924']
Oh, one time i plugged in my iPod and played rage against the machine. I then told them that it was my band, and i wrote the song. They all said it was good and they would listen to it if it was available to buy.

Fools. :D
[/quote]

Haha, a bit naughty! But I've done this before to a mate. Came clean straight after though :lol:

To answer the OP, I do talk about it if it comes up in conversation because it's something that interests me. i have walked into the office wearing my 'Bassist' t shirt as well!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355094874' post='1894071']
The people are work with are decent people, but i doubt i will have much contact with most of them after i stop working there. I don't really care if they hear the song on the radio one day and think "That's milton's song!". Infact, i would quite like to be there at that moment. I would laugh my head off.

One of them also thought my last name was Rockefeller. I mean, what!? if you are silly enough to actually believe it, can you blame me for taking the piss a bit?
[/quote]
My wife recently brought up something I had forgotten about. Not long after we first got together I managed to convince her that my middle name was Ferdinand (I don't have a middle name). I don't know why I thought it would be funny but she still chuckles about it all these years later.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1355095661' post='1894085']
My wife recently brought up something I had forgotten about. Not long after we first got together I managed to convince her that my middle name was Ferdinand (I don't have a middle name). I don't know why I thought it would be funny but she still chuckles about it all these years later.
[/quote]

oh dear :/ haha

Nah, everybody that i work with knew my name, just this guy was more gullible than the rest. He thought another mans last name was vanderhue. Doesn't matter, he's been sacked now anyway.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1355101270' post='1894170']
King Ferdinand Bollock.
Does have a ring to it, right? Not a very Welsh ring though. Brenin Furdinand Pêlsach!

y gorau,
bwrt
[/quote]
I ain't Welsh! I was born in Burton-on-Trent, best brewery town in the world, the whole town smells of hops, it's ace. Only moved to Wales about four years ago to be closer to my Welsh wife's family. She had to move to England to get herself a decent bloke, I think she liked my jumper.