Why become a member? ×

Which artists would never be the same without their original bass player ?

Black Coffee

The Beatles. Full Stop. #1 final answer. Yes, George & John may have played a couple of tracks on bass here and there in the studio, but that was later on, from the White Album sessions onward, and especially when Macca wanted to play guitar or piano on a track. But the thread is "as a band," not any particular individual track.

And no, Macca was not the original bass player, either. (I'm going to take flak for this next comment) Stu Sutcliffe was only in the band because he was John's best friend. But after Stu died and Pete Best was replaced by Ringo, the Beatles would not have been the Beatles without Macca on bass, and in spite of each of them "leaving" at any given point and coming back, the Beatles were no more after Macca made his famous announcement 10 April 1970. This is proven by the subsequent solo albums, where one or more would play on any particular album by one of the others, but not all of them together.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1354809275' post='1890683']

Have you seen Thin Lizzy's most recent line-up? I received two tickets to see them in Glasgow as a birthday gift last year, and wasn't convinced anyone could step in for Phil - but I need to say, Marco Mendoza does a great job.
[/quote]

He is a great bassist. Saw him with Ted Nugent a good few years ago.
The reason I say L izzy initially, is that nobody could replace phil ,) IMHO

Saw lizzy with sykesey a few years back . They wre good. But sorry Thin Lizzy are a tribute /covers band now IMHO .(another thread)?

[
[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1354800931' post='1890535']
No mention of Derek Forbes yet?

Simple Minds - in their most creative phase, when John Peel used to gush about them - just wouldn't have been the same without his basslines pushed up front of the mix.

With their later arena stuff, it could've been anybody.
[/quote]

Yes.

Edited by Spike Vincent

Point is that the players in the bands crafted the lines. I am sure that we can play a lot of the lines but we did not write them and were not part of the creative process. So indeed Adam Clayton and Andy Rourke did indeed influence the sound if their respective bands. Would someone else have played I will follow (U2) or bigmouth strikes again (smiths) the same? I doubt it. More often than not it is nothing to so with technical mastery. I could easily cover in the smiths, but I did not create the lines

The Stranglers, Magazine, Public Image ( I know Wobble only played on the first 2 albums, but they never sounded the same after he left), Rush, The Who, The Jam...

Someone else mentioned how few 'new' bands have been cited as having crucial bass players. I would suggest the following reasons for this..

1) The revolting tendancy within modern production techniques to compress the hell out of the mix for maximum 'loudness', making the bass sound less distinct and therefore lose any subtlety.

2) The increasing 'professionalism' of aspiring musicians which has lead to lead to a homogenisation of style and technique.

3) The 'mature' demographic of basschat members B)

I don't think the bass was quite as good on subsequent Judie Tzuke albums after the first couple with Rhino. Very subjective though. As has been said before it's mostly those multi-tasking people like Macca/Sting/Geddy/Lynott who would be missed the most. I notice Lizzy these days is a 6 piece unit so they have to have a separate singer and a bass player to replace PL.

[quote name='Chambo' timestamp='1354872239' post='1891370']
I think that the John Martyn vibe would have been different without Danny Thompson
[/quote]

Absolutely! Although he has a very different "vibe" with John Giblin. And doesn't Alan Thompson sound uncannily like Giblin?! :o

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1354778378' post='1890203']
For some reason I struggle to imagine dream theater without myung
[/quote]

Just stick an octaver on the guitar and nobody would notice the difference! Although obviously his charisma would be a big miss...

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1354817324' post='1890847']
He is a great bassist. Saw him with Ted Nugent a good few years ago.
The reason I say L izzy initially, is that nobody could replace phil ,) IMHO

Saw lizzy with sykesey a few years back . They wre good. But sorry Thin Lizzy are a tribute /covers band now IMHO .(another thread)?
[/quote]

I'd agree with this to an extent. They put on a good show, and it's good to see some of the old faces, but Lizzy isn't Lizzy without Phil. I suppose that's why they play venues that hold a couple of thousand rather than stadiums, which I'm pretty sure Phil would fill!
The new line-up have recorded a new album, but have decided not to release it under the Thin Lizzy name - due to fan feedback. A smart move I'd say.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1354893857' post='1891737']
Just stick an octaver on the guitar and nobody would notice the difference! Although obviously his charisma would be a big miss...
[/quote]

Few years back, my band had a gig lined up, a Student end of year party or similar. A few days before, I ended up in a coma with something called Ludwig's Angina. My lead guitarist decided to buy a Whammy pedal and used that to fill in some of the bass parts for the gig. Put a bloody big sticker on it - 'George in a box'......