Why become a member? ×

Which artists would never be the same without their original bass player ?

Black Coffee

The Smiths? Come on!!!!

Take away the singer/songwriter/frontman aspect of all those you've listed so far and maybe at a push Flea and Bernard Edwards, but don't fool yourselves, the rest as bass players, are very replaceable.

JE was replaced in The Who, Larry Graham was replaced in Sly, JJ was replaced by Bob Babbitt and Macca could have been replaced by Klaus.

All bass players are replaceable, as are all musicians.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1354788961' post='1890303']
The Smiths? Come on!!!!

Take away the singer/songwriter/frontman aspect of all those you've listed so far and maybe at a push Flea and Bernard Edwards, but don't fool yourselves, the rest as bass players, are very replaceable.

JE was replaced in The Who, Larry Graham was replaced in Sly, [b]JJ was replaced by Bob Babbitt [/b]and Macca could have been replaced by Klaus.

[/quote]

Bob Babbitt was in the Stranglers! Cool.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1354784837' post='1890243']
The man on the Clapham omnibus would probably only notice if the missing bass player was the frontman or the main song writer.
The hard core fanboy is a different matter.
[/quote]

Got to agree entirely. I was with a work experience pupil from the Brit school a few years back who was surprised to learn that Eric Clapton played guitar!!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1354755529' post='1890157']
They've had 8 bass players and counting!

The Beatles are probably top of the list, they literally would have been screwed without Macca in many senses.
[/quote]

Actually, Macca was not always on bass, a lot of bass was played by Harrison and a lesser extent by Lennon

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1354752319' post='1890138']
Cream
U2 (yeah, really!)
[/quote]

You beat me to it on those two.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Paul Young yet - Pino's fretless playing was a major contribution to his songs.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1354788961' post='1890303']
The Smiths? Come on!!!!

JE was replaced in The Who, Larry Graham was replaced in Sly, JJ was replaced by Bob Babbitt and Macca could have been replaced by Klaus.

[/quote]

Pretty much agree but i believe that Peter Gabriel would not be/sound/feel the same without Tony Levin! I can't imagine anyone else playing Sledgehammer... :)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1354795710' post='1890420']
I was thinking long and hard about this.
Trouble is they have had fantastic replacements .
Not sure..
[/quote]

I agree, as I'm a big fan of Jason's, but I do believe that the band would have taken a different direction if Cliff had lived. Not necessarily a more successful direction, just different, because Cliff was one of the main songwriters, while Jason was never allowed to contribute significantly.
The band may not have gone on to writing the various Loads, Reloads, St Angers and other sellouts, or they might have written something even worse! We will never know, of course.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1354792829' post='1890371']

Actually, Macca was not always on bass, a lot of bass was played by Harrison and a lesser extent by Lennon
[/quote]

Definitely, but I kind of meant that if he hasn't have been around then a lot of songs wouldn't have gotten written and there wouldn't have been tracks for the bass to have been played on!

Most bass players are replaceable, exceptions are the ones with the really strong musical and sonic personalities within the band they play in.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1354742517' post='1889990']
Rush
[b]Thin lizzy[/b]
Green day
Slayer
Celtic frost
Sabbath
Led zep
Megadeth
Van halen
[/quote]

Have you seen Thin Lizzy's most recent line-up? I received two tickets to see them in Glasgow as a birthday gift last year, and wasn't convinced anyone could step in for Phil - but I need to say, Marco Mendoza does a great job.