Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - Voting Time!

charic

Whichever way it goes will be a pain for someone, so if the decision is start afresh sobeit. Still I would say that wouldn't I as my original 3 were not about to bother anyone.

Just a shame it had to happen this month when there was rather more at stake courtesy of 13 Guitar.

Tomorrow night is my chance to have a final listen & vote

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354107457' post='1882104']
Dummy out of pram :(

Not fair as its different for some already, either revert to origainal votes which is absolutely fair, what is the problem with that? Or let 13 guitars choose which would be fair enough but needs to be done soon either way otherwise if done later it wont look good to anyone. Just being honest, does anyone else have a problem with votes being put back to original votes?

I suppose what i am saying is how not giving people their original vote dealing with it in the best way, not being an arse but i dont see how this is best?
[/quote]

The only one that looks very different is Elvis's. And that is probably because the original link to his entry was wrong, it linked to his track with no vocal. So all in all, it's looking about right. I was in third place before and now I'm nowhere near, but mine's pretty much an instrumental and clearly vocal tracks seem to be far the most popular this time.

The site f***ed up, it couldn't be helped, sh*t like this happens sometimes, it's not ideal, but wtf. You think it's ok for mates to vote, some of us don't. Some think not listening to the whole track is ok, some of us don't. Was the voting truly fair or unfair, who knows? Let's just take it on the chin and be gracious about it. I'm sorry you are now in 3rd place instead of 2nd, but Skol is the one who stands to be the most gutted if this fresh poll is very different and he loses his huge lead and comes second. There was still a long way to go in the voting and NO-ONE knows how it would have ended up anyway.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1354107632' post='1882109']I'm sorry your not happy with the decision but that's how it's going to run...[/quote]

No need to apologise, Charic! Not your fault mate. Stuff happens - and nearly always at the worst times possible! That's the Law Of The Universe.

I'm personally 'ok' with a re-vote. Not ideal but seems like the least messy solution and I agree that a vote by Paul at 13 Guitar ain't ideal either. I mean, he might love my track :P but that would seem to be too substantial a change to the rules this far down the line. Plus, it's heaping a bunch of pressure on Paul which doesn't seem right.

The re-vote seems to be underway, so I'm happy to let it run its course whatever.

/Zen mode on

[quote name='Elvis Valentine' timestamp='1354105265' post='1882053']I have also stuck a like on facebook this time.[/quote]

^ Careful mate, that kicked up a bunch of stink earlier on in this discussion (fishing for votes among mates, etc). Handle with care! :)

[PS: if anyone wants to see my Facebook page to check for nefarious self-promotion then I'll happily PM you the link. You need to be on Facebook to view it - and not afraid of looking at baby photos. Hundreds of them! I never use FB, other than registering for competitions, etc, but my other half is always tagging me in photos that appear on my page. My lawyer is onto it...]

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1354107632' post='1882109']
As for letting [b]13 decide[/b] I think that would be completely unfair as it is a complete change of rules.
I'm sorry your not happy with the decision but that's how it's going to run.
[/quote]

Yep, i am sure people will still vote the same. - If in his hands he might decide that tunes about [alleged] Pedophiles
and fecking and blinding ain't good for business..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right i am off for a good listen all round.

Garry

Should i take my facebook thing down?
its just a thing saying that i have an entry in this competition but also that there are like 15 other great tunes in it and people should listen and then vote for there fave. Not a vote for me me me thing. But maybe it is unfair, i dont know? Morals and laws and loopholes and philosophy. Im a film student damn it!

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1354108896' post='1882144']
Yep, i am sure people will still vote the same. - If in his hands he might decide that tunes about [alleged] Pedophiles
and fecking and blinding ain't good for business..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right i am off for a good listen all round.

Garry
[/quote]

Evidence suggests otherwise, police have acknowledged this and if someone doesnt like my track they dont vote for it, sorry if language offends you but i come from the punk era and say it how i feel it is, like i said earlier just being honest, this has f..kd me right up as people seem to have got the hump now, opinions where asked for and given, its ok to disagree, we can agree to disagree, not having a go, like i said just being honest. :(

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354108681' post='1882138']
The only one that looks very different is Elvis's. And that is probably because the original link to his entry was wrong, it linked to his track with no vocal. So all in all, it's looking about right. I was in third place before and now I'm nowhere near, but mine's pretty much an instrumental and clearly vocal tracks seem to be far the most popular this time.

The site f***ed up, it couldn't be helped, sh*t like this happens sometimes, it's not ideal, but wtf. You think it's ok for mates to vote, some of us don't. Some think not listening to the whole track is ok, some of us don't. Was the voting truly fair or unfair, who knows? Let's just take it on the chin and be gracious about it. I'm sorry you are now in 3rd place instead of 2nd, but Skol is the one who stands to be the most gutted if this fresh poll is very different and he loses his huge lead and comes second. There was still a long way to go in the voting and NO-ONE knows how it would have ended up anyway.
[/quote]

I dont think its ok for mates to vote i think it will happen when its all over face book, twitter and other sites e.t.c. Its life and nothing can be done about it, please guys like i have said just offering an honest opinion, its not meant in a negative way at all, its just an opinion and i am not saying its right its just mine. :unsure:

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354109812' post='1882158']
Evidence suggests otherwise, police have acknowledged this and if someone doesnt like my track they dont vote for it, sorry if language offends you but i come from the punk era and say it how i feel it is, like i said earlier just being honest, this has f..kd me right up as people seem to have got the hump now, opinions where asked for and given, its ok to disagree, we can agree to disagree, not having a go, like i said just being honest. :(

I dont think its ok for mates to vote i think it will happen when its all over face book, twitter and other sites e.t.c. Its life and nothing can be done about it, please guys like i have said just offering an honest opinion, its not meant in a negative way at all, its just an opinion and i am not saying its right its just mine. :unsure:
[/quote]

Stop worrying, just use some of that punky energy healing and spiritual development on yourself ;) Sorry, just kidding.

[/quote]

Chill man - language don't offend me, I am up there with the rest.
Swearing was around way before the punk period.
Just seeing the funny side of it all, that's all. :)
And not aimed at any one in particular.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1354110135' post='1882166']
Chill man - language don't offend me, I am up there with the rest.
Swearing was around way before the punk period.
Just seeing the funny side of it all, that's all. :)
And not aimed at any one in particular.

Garry
[/quote]

Sorry mate took the post wrong, thats what happens with flaming posts, sorry i thought i had piss.d you off in some way, :)

[/quote]

I agree Stephen, but was the idea of promoting it on facebook etc for the site to get more views and perhaps more members as a result? Facebook etc is all well and good if those are the rules but i think in a lot of ways it defeats the purpose of what is supposed to be a composition competition. Is there an official rulebook for this? Its real unfortunate the glitch had to happen in a month that is perhaps more hotly contested because of the lovely prize available.

[quote name='Elvis Valentine' timestamp='1354110417' post='1882173']
I agree Stephen, but was the idea of promoting it on facebook etc for the site to get more views and perhaps more members as a result? Facebook etc is all well and good if those are the rules but i think in a lot of ways it defeats the purpose of what is supposed to be a composition competition. Is there an official rulebook for this? Its real unfortunate the glitch had to happen in a month that is perhaps more hotly contested because of the lovely prize available.
[/quote]

If its on Facebook and promoted as a basschat comp people have to join to vote, its bound to happen. Its inevitable that this will happen. Anyway gotta get on with life, I have work to do.

Cheers

and good luck to everyone.

Siddx :) nice one!

Edited by Stephen Houghton

It's all a bit of a mess isn't it?

I've voted again for the same track as I did last time, but now it appears that when I first listened to all the entries one of them might not have been the right mix that the composer wanted. So maybe I haven't made the correct choice?

What happened to make all the votes disappear? I know that the site was off-line for a while yesterday evening (why? there's been no explanation given) but from what I recall it was back on and then slightly later the the poll disappeared. What ever happens now is not going to be ideal. Some people who have already voted but who don't visit the site all that regularly and dip into all the currently active threads may not even realise that their votes have been lost and that they need to vote again. OTOH trying to restore votes to the pre "crash" numbers isn't going to be an option if it lets people who voted the first time around vote again.

As for people not listening to the whole track. Well there's not really a lot that can be done about that. I listened to them all and all the way through but then I'm OCD like that. However in every case I knew whether I liked a track or not within a minute of it's start, and there was nothing in the last quarter of any of the tracks that made me change my mind.

And why was it only this poll that was affected? I had a look at the previous months composition competition polls as well as one in the General Discussion forum and none of them appear to have been removed or lost their voting figures.

I can't help but feel that given the rather special nature of this month's prize, that voting should be suspended until the site has been fixed properly - after all what's to stop the same problem happening again on Friday just before the closing deadline?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354112267' post='1882200']I can't help but feel that given the rather special nature of this month's prize, that voting should be suspended until the site has been fixed properly - after all what's to stop the same problem happening again on Friday just before the closing deadline?[/quote]

Good point, but I think the crash was an unexpected 'thing' - it might happen again, it might not. I think we're all pretty much flying by the seat of our pants on this and hoping for no further problems until the votes are in (Friday midnight). If the site crashes again I'm just going to eat my own pants and take up the banjo. Always good to have a backup plan.

PS: thanks to everyone who's bothered to come back and vote. Still 30 or so missing in action, but the response so far has been good.

Voted!! I had to give 3 a 2nd listen to pick. I've never come across a thread like this before but it has to be my favourite kind :D . I didn't get the Scooby Doo meets Jimmy Saville theme but i've been away/busy recently :lol: . Thanks for contributing to the compositions guys, was surprised (and slightly disappointed) not to hear a beginner having a stab at it?? Was all very pro.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1354117713' post='1882271']
Good point, but I think the crash was an unexpected 'thing' - it might happen again, it might not. I think we're all pretty much flying by the seat of our pants on this and hoping for no further problems until the votes are in (Friday midnight).
[/quote]

I'm not entirely convinced that the site problems last night were responsible for the poll going AWOL given the timing of the two events and also the timing of a couple of other events that I was looking at. Plus only this poll seems to have been affected. I can't find evidence of any other polls being wiped out or of any other data loss being reported on the site...

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354118110' post='1882284']
I think a few people are newbys at this, i have never produced a track on my own before, all my others have just been adding to a jam session. There are some great very well produced tracks on here. :)
[/quote]

I took up guitar almost exactly a year ago after a break of since 1987. I'm pretty much self taught and wrote a few songs back then and wanted to record them. I never played in a band (other than 4 or 5 folk gigs on harmonica and Northumbrian pipes), never recorded anything before this year so I am messing around with Garage band, I didn't pick up a bass until this January so consider myself a novice.

The reason I started playing again was to record some of my old songs but I have been writing new ones and am now thinking to myself that I would like to play in a band-just in case anyone knows of one looking in the Bristol area. I have also just booked my 2nd bass lesson

If people think that I sound like a pro I'd like to say thinks for the complement.

[i]Note: Mind you I haven't got any votes so maybe it shows haahaa[/i] :)

Edited by Pinball