Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - Voting Time!

charic

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1354140798' post='1882758']
For example it seems entries with vocals are doing doing particularly well. Now how are people who cant sing going to get by this? I dont know about you but Im eager to find out :)
[/quote]

Use someone who can sing? That's what I was planning to do. The rules don't say that you have to play all the parts yourself do they?

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1354140820' post='1882760']
Respect all round - I love you all :unsure:
[/quote]

Love your honesty in your post earlier mate, posts often get taken completely out of context and after all they are just opinions to be considered, dismissed or agreed with, but they are just opinions and thoughts out loud. I find the way i write often gets taken wrong, its the bull in the china shop syndrome with me but its not meant in any way like that.

Word to ones self think before speak :)

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, its sad but people seem to be really on the facebook thing but its gonna happen, its part of the site, there are links so people will use them. But its a case of dont shoot the messenger, if people use them and get votes from that it doesnt mean they have an underlying plan or stratergy to rule the world. :D

Edited by Stephen Houghton

Close arsenic, I like to think its about development. Of your creative skills, your ability to interpret an abstract subject, work to a timeframe, take and give criticism and a wholebload more. Basically developing as a composer.

For example it seems entries with vocals are doing doing particularly well. Now how are people who cant sing going to get by this? I dont know about you but Im eager to find out :)
[/quote]

I'll just get Kit Richardson or Ingrid Webster to do the vocal on my next one :lol: That might help :D

Seriously, I think most people don't really get instrumental stuff that much, they can understand the music better if they have a funky groove, nice melody, sexy chord sequence, and a lyric. I know we get a lot of criticism of popular music on Basschat, and the X Factor, and mainstream pandering, etc. but the fact is, most people, including us musicians, can't assimilate complex or aspirational music unless we've been exposed to it early on and by someone we trust and respect. I have no problem with that, I LOVE pop music, I grew up on it, but I also had a big fat geeky friend who I would play D&D with all day and listen to all sorts of amazing sh*t from his massive collection, Zappa was his favourite. I love loads of the music he introduced me to even now. It's all been a huge influence. We fell out massively and not had contact with him for 30 years, but really, most of the music I make is a dedication to him and the musical education I received from him. There's virtually no modern popular instrumental music to draw from these days is there?

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354141921' post='1882782']
Love your honesty in your post earlier mate, posts often get taken completely out of context and after all they are just opinions to be considered, dismissed or agreed with, but they are just opinions and thoughts out loud. I find the way i write often gets taken wrong, its the bull in the china shop syndrome with me but its not meant in any way like that.

Word to ones self think before speak :)

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, its sad but people seem to be really on the facebook thing but its gonna happen, its part of the site, there are links so people will use them. But its a case of dont shoot the messenger, if people use them and get votes from that it doesnt mean they have an underlying plan or stratergy to rule the world. :D
[/quote]

I'm forming the impression you are not very Facebook savvy mate. Liking a link does f*** all on Facebook unless it's entertaining, some sh*te cod philosophy, or a petition to stop Mexicans using live kittens as shark bait. Liking a page or a competition or a band on Facebook don't do sh*t :) You have to have an angle or a personal missive to get people to do something for you, like posting a link and saying "VOTE FOR ME IN THIS BASS COMPETITION!!! I COULD WIN A MONTH'S f***in CUPCAKE SUPPLY !!!!!!!!". ;)

Close arsenic, I like to think its about development. Of your creative skills, your ability to interpret an abstract subject, work to a timeframe, take and give criticism and a wholebload more. Basically developing as a composer.

[/quote]

Why should they have to get by this. We should just change the title to BC Songwriting Competition if it's gonna funnel everyone into doing vocals jus to get votes. I can sing jus choose not to when writing music for myself, I write songs for my band.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354142083' post='1882787']
I'll just get Kit Richardson or Ingrid Webster to do the vocal on my next one :lol: That might help :D

Seriously, I think most people don't really get instrumental stuff that much, they can understand the music better if they have a funky groove, nice melody, sexy chord sequence, and a lyric. I know we get a lot of criticism of popular music on Basschat, and the X Factor, and mainstream pandering, etc. but the fact is, most people, including us musicians, can't assimilate complex or aspirational music unless we've been exposed to it early on and by someone we trust and respect. I have no problem with that, I LOVE pop music, I grew up on it, but I also had a big fat geeky friend who I would play D&D with all day and listen to all sorts of amazing sh*t from his massive collection, Zappa was his favourite. I love loads of the music he introduced me to even now. It's all been a huge influence. We fell out massively and not had contact with him for 30 years, but really, most of the music I make is a dedication to him and the musical education I received from him. There's virtually no modern popular instrumental music to draw from these days is there?
[/quote]

I can get down with this. I grew up listening to pop and rock, but Steve Vai got me into instrumentals, which led to classical and jazz. With regards to no modern instrumental, you may get a bit in electronic music but its a bit basic. Not much develoment or artistry.

Edited by Lord Sausage

I'm not sure that vocals, per se, would change my appreciation of a composition, taken as a whole. An instrument as any other; if it's good it's good. Nice singing and/or lyrics wouldn't suffice (for me...) to spice up an otherwise modest compo. I would be hard pressed to come up with many vocal tracks that stand up to the Schubert test, for instance (although I have a couple of personal favourites, perhaps more for sentimental reasons than shear musicianship...).
I'm quite willing to understand that our criteria are wildly different (a [i]good thing[/i]...), and there may well, indeed, be extra brownie points for a good song, but, imho, not so much as to sway if the competition is really up to snuff.
Just my tuppence worth...

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354142648' post='1882796']..."VOTE FOR ME IN THIS BASS COMPETITION!!! I COULD WIN A MONTH'S f***in CUPCAKE SUPPLY !!!!!!!!". ;)
[/quote]

I seem to have missed something here. I had a look on FB and couldn't find this. I'd like to help you out, if you could only show me the link... :blush:

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354142648' post='1882796']
I'm forming the impression you are not very Facebook savvy mate. Liking a link does f*** all on Facebook unless it's entertaining, some sh*te cod philosophy, or a petition to stop Mexicans using live kittens as shark bait. Liking a page or a competition or a band on Facebook don't do sh*t :) You have to have an angle or a personal missive to get people to do something for you, like posting a link and saying "VOTE FOR ME IN THIS BASS COMPETITION!!! I COULD WIN A MONTH'S f***in CUPCAKE SUPPLY !!!!!!!!". ;)
[/quote]

The like button is on this page at the top, not on facebook and if you click it, this then sticks the bass chat competition link on your facebook page, which so far 35 people have done. So its safe to assume that you dont have to announce anything isnt it if its on your page and all your mates know you play bass? Kinda big hint unless your mates are all thick :)

Like i said dont shoot the messenger they may not have any plan for world dominance or anything else in place. I dont have a problem with facebook, twitter or whatever social crap people use, its life it happens. :D

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354143571' post='1882816']
The like button is on this page at the top, not on facebook and if you click it, this then sticks the bass chat competition link on your facebook page, which so far 35 people have done. So its safe to assume that you dont have to announce anything isnt it if its on your page and all your mates know you play bass? Kinda big hint unless your mates are all thick :)

Like i said dont shoot the messenger they may not have any plan for world dominance or anything else in place. I dont have a problem with facebook, twitter or whatever social crap people use, its life it happens. :D
[/quote]
:) The above is what I mean by you not seeming Facebook savvy. No offence meant at all mate. But it's just not how it works. People generally take from Facebook, they don't give. You have to MAKE them want to give.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1354143076' post='1882803']
...With regards to no modern instrumental, you may get a bit in electronic music but its a bit basic. Not much development or artistry.[/quote]

Heh! Quite a bit of development and artistry in Electronic Dance Music, but I don't want to make a big deal out of it... ;)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354143855' post='1882822']
:) The above is what I mean by you not seeming Facebook savvy. No offence meant at all mate. But it's just not how it works. People generally take from Facebook, they don't give. You have to MAKE them want to give.
[/quote]

I admit im not facebook savvy and no offense taken, i would see the basschat link on a mates page and click it and vote for him, isnt it human nature to do this. I may vote for someone else just to wind him up but i would probably vote :) I guess i am a bit weird as i click the link to help the penguins with one leg who need a new car to get around. :)

Edited by Stephen Houghton

Could I suggest that the photo competition should not be neglected in all of this (no, I'm not a participant, merely admirateur of the shots proposed...) To be found here...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/191157-november-photo-comp-2012-voting-time/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/191157-november-photo-comp-2012-voting-time/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

...Enjoy...

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354144280' post='1882828']
I admit im not facebook savvy and no offense taken, i would see the basschat link on a mates page and click it and vote for him, isnt it human nature to do this. I may vote for someone else just to wind him up but i would probably vote :)
[/quote]

:lol: No!! It isn't! I sent my soundcloud link (NOT the BC link) to a bunch of friends and musicians I play with, told them what I was doing, and not ONE of them has asked how they can vote for me. They just told me what they thought of my music.

I think you must have an odd view of people's motivations in general, or maybe my friends are unusually fair minded.

You get a lot of BC members posting links to external competitions imploring people to vote for them, BotB, chance to win a support slot, etc. I have listened but only vote for them if I think they are worthy of my vote in favour of the competition.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1354144783' post='1882835']
Could I suggest that the photo competition should not be neglected in all of this (no, I'm not a participant, merely admirateur of the shots proposed...) To be found here...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/191157-november-photo-comp-2012-voting-time/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

...Enjoy...
[/quote]

Correct, I voted yesterday.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354144894' post='1882839']
:lol: No!! It isn't! I sent my soundcloud link (NOT the BC link) to a bunch of friends and musicians I play with, told them what I was doing, and not ONE of them has asked how they can vote for me. They just told me what they thought of my music.

I think you must have an odd view of people's motivations in general, or maybe my friends are unusually fair minded.

You get a lot of BC members posting links to external competitions imploring people to vote for them, BotB, chance to win a support slot, etc. I have listened but only vote for them if I think they are worthy of my vote in favour of the competition.
[/quote]

I work as a spiritual healer in everyday life and do meet some really cool lovely people through my work, but f..k me you and your mates should have wings :D

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354109812' post='1882158']
I dont think its ok for mates to vote i think it will happen when its all over face book, twitter and other sites e.t.c. Its life and nothing can be done about it, please guys like i have said just offering an honest opinion, its not meant in a negative way at all, its just an opinion and i am not saying its right its just mine. :unsure:
[/quote] I posted/shared my choon on FB when I originally posted it to SC. Then again I have no friends so that's not a problem :lol: ([i]I think[/i])

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1354144783' post='1882835']

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/191157-november-photo-comp-2012-voting-time/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

...Enjoy...
[/quote]

Didnt know this existed, thanks have voted!

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354145195' post='1882850']
I work as a spiritual healer in everyday life and do meet some really cool lovely people through my work, but f..k me you and your mates should have wings :D
[/quote]
Not at all. They are, perhaps, people who have humanitarian values.

Bit sad you you think that mate tbh :(

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354145534' post='1882855']
Not at all. They are, perhaps, people who have humanitarian values.

Bit sad you you think that mate tbh :(
[/quote]

I am taking the p.ss no offence meant, you seem like a really cool guy with some really nice values and i respect that. This is why i hate getting into conversations in text they are always taken out of context. :(