Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - Voting Time!

charic

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354056776' post='1881620']He was whacking everyone and if by raising my concerns about people's voting habits I have caused some sort of issue with the competition, and he doesn't get the prize he deserves (assuming he would have won), I will never forgive myself :([/quote]

Don't worry Nige! Really mate. I don't think there's anything personal going on here (see my post earlier tonight). I'm genuinely open to whatever comes of whatever's going on - if anything is going on!? :-)

This discussion has definitely got me thinking though. I have no idea who's been voting for me. I've told people to check out the entries and vote on Twitter, on the BC SoundCloud group and in the General Discussion forum here. Not sure what to think if that's the reason for my tally in the poll...can't say I mind if people have made the effort to listen and vote. Good on 'em! But equally I'd be p1ssed if my efforts to plug the competition had backfired and were deemed unfair. But if so, heh, I'll roll with that ;-) Seriously.

Anyway, don't fret mate! I don't feel like you or anyone else here is gunning for me. Having a prize on offer does seem to have changed the spirit of things a little, but not in a 'bad' way per se.

Right...I'm off to watch Later on catch up now. Night all! :-)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1354060261' post='1881695']
Don't worry Nige! Really mate. I don't think there's anything personal going on here (see my post earlier tonight). I'm genuinely open to whatever comes of whatever's going on - if anything is going on!? :-)

This discussion has definitely got me thinking though. I have no idea who's been voting for me. I've told people to check out the entries and vote on Twitter, on the BC SoundCloud group and in the General Discussion forum here. Not sure what to think if that's the reason for my tally in the poll...can't say I mind if people have made the effort to listen and vote. Good on 'em! But equally I'd be p1ssed if my efforts to plug the competition had backfired and were deemed unfair. But if so, heh, I'll roll with that ;-) Seriously.

Anyway, don't fret mate! I don't feel like you or anyone else here is gunning for me. Having a prize on offer does seem to have changed the spirit of things a little, but not in a 'bad' way per se.

Right...I'm off to watch Later on catch up now. Night all! :-)
[/quote]

Thank you Paul :)

Good questions being asked there - you know I was looking at it earlier today and seeing 3 clear favourites and wondering if some kind of second transferable vote thing would be a good idea.... or just the fella whos building the bass to pick his fave out of the top 2/3 or something.

As for listening to the whole song.... on quite a few I didn't - I don't personally have a problem of skipping the last 30s of a track I don't like much - sorry. I worked on the basis that I loved one of the entries I had heard (Silddx ironically) and listened to the rest to see if anyone came close. 2-3 other entries did for me- a lot of the rest I could tell after 16 bars that I prefered silddx's so forgive me if I skip the last 30 seconds! Not that the music was bad - just that there was some entries that were pretty genius

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354058978' post='1881667']f***in' 'ell mate!... ...I know, I know, I am far too idealist and all too aware the world is not fair :)
[/quote]

Good evening, Nigel...

Sorry, I was just pulling your ******; my twisted sense of 'humour' was in no way intended to offend. Respect, and apologies. A cheap shot, I'll avow.
(...[i]but I'm not going to be calling you for putting up a conservatory for me any time soon..![/i] :P )
Can't wait for the poll to come back, when charic has finished stuffing the ballot boxes. What's taking him so long..? :ph34r:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1354064090' post='1881745']
Good evening, Nigel...

Sorry, I was just pulling your ******; my twisted sense of 'humour' was in no way intended to offend. Respect, and apologies. A cheap shot, I'll avow.
[b](...[i]but I'm not going to be calling you for putting up a conservatory for me any time soon..![/i] :P )[/b]
Can't wait for the poll to come back, when charic has finished stuffing the ballot boxes. What's taking him so long..? :ph34r:
[/quote]

Only because you know I'd make the frame from Jimmy Savile's bones :D

Cheers mate, I knew you were :)

Edited by silddx

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1354062629' post='1881730']
Good questions being asked there - you know I was looking at it earlier today and seeing 3 clear favourites and wondering if some kind of second transferable vote thing would be a good idea.... or just the fella whos building the bass to pick his fave out of the top 2/3 or something.

As for listening to the whole song.... on quite a few I didn't - I don't personally have a problem of skipping the last 30s of a track I don't like much - sorry. I worked on the basis that I loved one of the entries I had heard (Silddx ironically) and listened to the rest to see if anyone came close. 2-3 other entries did for me- a lot of the rest I could tell after 16 bars that I prefered silddx's so forgive me if I skip the last 30 seconds! Not that the music was bad - just that there was some entries that were pretty genius
[/quote]

Fair enough, it's just that I feel 30 secs is not a lot of time and I feel that one misses the story and the feel if one skips sections. Although I'll admit a couple sounded like they had identical cut and paste sections to me, and I only realised that by listening to all the tracks all the way through.

I am made up you liked mine though :) Thank you mate!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354054998' post='1881584']
And charic, being a mod, would know if there were a load of brand new members voting for certain entries...[/quote]

Well charic, is this the case?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354058459' post='1881655']
Does that mean if you're not on Facebook or Twitter you might be at a disadvantage?[/quote]

Yes. I got a FB account against my better judgement just to 'like' 13 Guitar. So my total FB friends = 0. And I WILL NOT do Twitter as I still have at least half a brain in working order. IMHO. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1354065803' post='1881759']

Yes. I got a FB account against my better judgement just to 'like' 13 Guitar. So my total FB friends = 0. And I WILL NOT do Twitter as I still have at least half a brain in working order. IMHO. :)
[/quote]

I'll be your FB friend :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1354065803' post='1881759']

[/quote]

If there are votes from new members because of social media sites, that cant be helped if the links are on this site, which there are six of on the bottom left of this page, if they are all social media type links that is. FB and Twitter are there, dont recognise the others, but the point i am making is how ever votes are made its not down to the entrant what the people on those sites do because of the link.

I am feeling guilty for pressing the like button on the competition page now, but 25 others have as well! Have also removed link from my face book page.

:sad:

Edited by Stephen Houghton

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354068245' post='1881770']
If there are votes from new members because of social media sites, that cant be helped if the links are on this site, which there are six of on the bottom left of this page, if they are all social media type links that is. FB and Twitter are there, dont recognise the others, but the point i am making is how ever votes are made its not down to the entrant what the people on those sites do because of the link.

I am feeling guilty for pressing the like button on the competition page now, but 25 others have as well! Have also removed link from my face book page.

:sad:
[/quote]

I agree. And I never said anything was the fault of any entrant. My beef was with voters who had not listened to all the entrants. Why are you feeling guilty, you have done nothing wrong from what I can see?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354069077' post='1881771']
I agree. And I never said anything was the fault of any entrant. My beef was with voters who had not listened to all the entrants. Why are you feeling guilty, you have done nothing wrong from what I can see?
[/quote]

I am not saying you have siddx i was replying to discreets earlier message asking charic about if there have been new members posting, I havent done anything wrong. Just felt i shouldn't of added the link from facebook on here, to my page.

Anyway catch you later time for bed, to many beers, didnt mean anything by the post siddx just chatting really. :)

Edited by Stephen Houghton

Unfortunately guys it looks like all the votes have been lost in the downtime yesterday... fek baws follicles!

Really sorry guys, start over? :unsure:

Umm... I don't know if I'll be able to see who is voting for who as a mod, not explored that option yet. There is an option to make votes public but that seems a little mean spirited to me?

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354069880' post='1881774']
...I was replying to discreet's earlier message asking charic if there have been new members posting, I haven't done anything wrong. Just felt I shouldn't have added the link from facebook on here, to my page.[/quote]

You should put the link back up. As a matter of fact, I sent a PM to Jellyfish asking him to post a link to the competition on BassChat's facebook page, and he very kindly did so.

My concern was that people could join Basschat expressly to vote for a specfic entrant without listening to all the tracks, or even without listening to the specific entrant's track, in fact! Which I thought unfair and not a level playing field for competition.

But now I agree that a level playing field exists only as a concept in the real world, life is unfair, and if the voting has to be heavily policed it will create loads of unnecessary work for charic, making the whole enterprise a pain in the arse! And the bottom line (pun intended) is that this should be fun, right? So I'm going to get in the cupboard under the stairs and stay there! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1354095952' post='1881904']
Unfortunately guys it looks like all the votes have been lost in the downtime yesterday... fek baws follicles! Really sorry guys, start over? :unsure:[/quote]

You know what, I bet everyone knows exactly how many votes they had before the poll disappeared! :D
I'm sure entrants would be happy to PM you with the information.

What a great opportunity for everyone to show how upstanding and honest they are!
This could be BassChat's finest moment! :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1354096174' post='1881909']
You know what, I bet everyone knows exactly how many votes they had before the poll disappeared! :D
I'm sure entrants would be happy to PM you with the information.

What a great opportunity for everyone to show how upstanding and honest they are!
This could be BassChat's finest moment! :lol:
[/quote]

I can alter numbers like that but... then if people come back they can vote again which would give open another weakness in the system.

If you guys are all happy with that I don't have a problem with it but I'll make it your call. Democracy! Wooo!

I had 5 last time I looked, which, IIRC, put me in joint 19th piosition.

Seriously, though, it is lovely to see that at least 5 people 'get' what I was trying to do. Winning has never been the issue for me; I jsut love the learning that I get from each composition. It's probably as good an experience as you would get in the average UK university in 2012. It is time well spent and really life affirming to see everyone getting a buzz out of a genuinely creative process that isn't necessarily a quick win or an easy path.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1354095952' post='1881904']
Unfortunately guys it looks like all the votes have been lost in the downtime yesterday... fek baws follicles!

Really sorry guys, start over? :unsure:

Umm... I don't know if I'll be able to see who is voting for who as a mod, not explored that option yet. There is an option to make votes public but that seems a little mean spirited to me?
[/quote]

I noticed in the photo comp the same thing had happened. What a pisser. Lot's of techy probs on BC lately aren't there :(

Anyway, I voted for the same entry I did before. Hopefully the result will be the same.

I do think messages need to go in General Discussion, BC FB and Twitter pages explaining the poll reverting to zero votes situation and asking people to recast theirs.

Thanks again charic.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354098214' post='1881940']
I noticed in the photo comp the same thing had happened. What a pisser. Lot's of techy probs on BC lately aren't there :(

Anyway, I voted for the same entry I did before. Hopefully the result will be the same.

I do think messages need to go in General Discussion, BC FB and Twitter pages explaining the poll reverting to zero votes situation and asking people to recast theirs.

Thanks again charic.
[/quote]
Hi, looks like i missed lots of exciting stuff.

Well I can now see the voting but no links to the tracks so can't listen to them.

Well that obviously sucks gigantic balls from my perspective! (I was on 20 votes).

Can we rely on everyone voting again? Or is the vote now to be decided by those remaining folk who hadn't yet got round to voting before the crash?

Seems like an odd way to rectify what's happened, but then I'm bias and not the best person to decide.

Ah whatever... I don't want to seem like I'm throwing my toys out of the pram, so I'll just go along with what gets decided and chalk this up as one of life's wonderfully sharp kicks in the knackers.

PS: that custom bass is going to be cursed, you know that right? ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1354096121' post='1881907']
My concern was that people could join Basschat expressly to vote for a specfic entrant without listening to all the tracks, or even without listening to the specific entrant's track, in fact! Which I thought unfair and not a level playing field for competition.
[/quote]
Yeah that's a shame but it is bound to happen, especially when there is a decent prize at stake. As soon as that happens no such thing as fair.
That doesn't detract from the fun in making the tracks, high standards of the entries and the generosity of the sponsor. Applause to all!

By the way I had two votes-was hoping for more to get beyond last month.