Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - Voting Time!

charic

Regarding the issue of not listening to all of all the tracks: I will hold my hand up and say that I listened to every track, but not to every second of every track. The waveforms shown on Soundcloud tend to give a fairly good impression of what you might expect once you're into the tune, by which I mean that in a song with several sections (intro, verse, chorus etc) I found I could pretty much tell what's coming later on if something is repeated (and I fast-forward to check). There were a lot of entries! When making a shortlist, it was convenient to not listen to the whole of a song if it was obviously less appealing to me than something which I'd heard earlier.
That said, not listening to all the tracks - at least in part - before voting does seem pretty rude!
Eight posts since I started writing this - I wonder how many folks said this first...

EDIT: Dad3353 said it first! B)

Edited by Mr H

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354054241' post='1881574']
Dont think anyone has a problem just discussing how and why people vote i suppose, psychologically people will tend to listen to the highest vote tracks and vote for them, thats how the human mind works, we are creatures of habit.

Everything is cool B)
[/quote]

Well I have just had a thought that you can't see the votes until you vote, unless you choose the Show Votes button, so I might be talking sh*t about that aspect of my concerns.

The 'fairest' competitions in my experience are those decided by judges, not voting. But then you need a good mix of judges to even out personal bias, etc. Pros and cons either way I suppose.

It'd be a bit rich for me to complain...I was doing well in the poll!...but I totally understand the concerns being raised. I have no idea how many of the votes I'd received were from seasoned BC veterans, how many were casual BC'ers from the SoundCloud group or newcomers from Twitter, where I've been plugging the challenge since the composition stage (you can read my tweets here: www.twitter.com/skol303). I can only hope that the folks who voted for me had judged my track (and everyone else's) on its merits.

Ultimately, if we have a problem with the system, then it needs changing. Maybe we need a poll for that? ;-)

Yeah but you cant stop it if its linked to face book e.t.c. the link is on the page so it will happen, I hit the like button and 23 others have thats how i discovered it links to your facebook account, but I didnt do it for votes i did it because its there and i like the comp. Skol said hes sent it to soundcloud and twitter which would have the same effect potentially. I am sure its done with the right intent, but people will vote because of it, its life.

I was doing ok in poll but its gone and no idea whats happening anymore, skol was whacking me though :)

Edited by Stephen Houghton

Whats happening :unsure: ?
I didn't vote yet. Is the voting over?
Regarding earlier discussion Soundcloud does only regard a track as listened to if its over half listened to although im not sure if that counts for total time listened to or if its a linear thing.
Like Mr H says i also listened to all the tracks some of them several times over but some of them not in their entirety also, so im not sure they would be counted on soundcloud or not.

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354055589' post='1881594']
Yeah but you cant stop it if its linked to face book e.t.c. the link is on the page so it will happen, I hit the like button and 23 others have thats how i discovered it links to your facebook account, but I didnt do it for votes i did it because its there and i like the comp. Skol said hes sent it to soundcloud and twitter which would have the same effect potentially. I am sure its done with the right intent, but people will vote because of it, its life.

[b]I was doing ok in poll but its gone and no idea whats happening anymore, skol was whacking me though :)[/b]
[/quote]

He was whacking everyone and if by raising my concerns about people's voting habits I have caused some sort of issue with the competition, and he doesn't get the prize he deserves (assuming he would have won), I will never forgive myself :(

Edited by silddx

You're a very naughty boy Nige, you **** stirrer you :lol: Bringing conspiracy theories into this. I don't know. And now your entry has disappeared from SC for me? Most strange

@Tis odd on the count but I have never been sure what clicks the counter over. I presume it is down to more than just a quick click through & on

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1354057125' post='1881631']
You're a very naughty boy Nige, you **** stirrer you :lol: Bringing conspiracy theories into this. I don't know. And now your entry has disappeared from SC for me? Most strange

@Tis odd on the count but I have never been sure what clicks the counter over. I presume it is down to more than just a quick click through & on
[/quote]

It should be there mate, I changed the mix just before the voting and put a new link up. If you clicked the link in someone's reply it won't work though as I marked the previous one as private.

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354051337' post='1881489']
Site just completely crashed on me for 10 mins, but ok now?

I reckon because of the like button which i have just clocked posts this on facebook, twitter posts, souncloud plugs e.t.c., people who are friends of people on here will just join site and vote for their mates. Thats why there arent many listens to some tracks, also i am guilty of if i listen a track and it doesnt connect with me in first couple of mins i move on.

Which is fair enough i dont mean that in a negative way, but probably answers Silddx question earlier.
[/quote]

Does that mean if you're not on Facebook or Twitter you might be at a disadvantage?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354058459' post='1881655']
Does that mean if you're not on Facebook or Twitter you might be at a disadvantage?
[/quote]

Well you deffo would be because a clause in the competition this month was to press [b]like[/b] on [b]13guitars[/b] facebook page, so everyone who entered is either on facebook or cant win if they havent done this. I joined facebook just to do this cant be doing with it otherwise.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354056776' post='1881620']
He was whacking everyone and if by raising my concerns about people's voting habits I have caused some sort of issue with the competition, and he doesn't get the prize he deserves (assuming he would have won), I will never forgive myself :(
[/quote]

I think Skol was far enough ahead to be deemed to have won if the poll doesn't get reinstated in time. I also think it would be a good thing for the competition, and subsequent months, to continue on schedule despite any technical setbacks we encounter

edited because I've had a bottle of wine and aren't functioning as well as I would normally be expected to...

Edited by steve

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1354058003' post='1881647']
Silddx..? Silddx..? Rings a far distant bell from my schooldays.... Hmmm... Ah, yes; isn't that Ancient Greek for 'Jonah'..? :rolleyes:

:lol:
[/quote]

f***in' 'ell mate!

That wasn't my intention to be a Jonah but if for the good of the competition I should be a sperm whale's dinner, I will happily withdraw :)

I just thought all tracks deserved a full listen before voting and highlighted that at least one wasn't. Isn't that the least one should expect from a fellow basschat member and musician?

I know, I know, I am far too idealist and all too aware the world is not fair :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354058459' post='1881655']
[/quote]

I am not sure of the detail but I get the impression that the links to social media sites may influence the voting for mates , hence the massive vote increase intimated earlier. how many times do we see 'vote for me on facebook' etc this time it may have happened in reverse :huh: