Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - Voting Time!

charic

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1354282465' post='1884402']
I'll be entering December's comp, regardless. :)
[/quote]
i might sit out the next one, im getting some new gear at the end of december, so i may write something a bit more less traditional song, but i wont have time.... unless i just of course write a traditional song again

I have finally had time to listen to all the tracks. Well, they are all awesome and I've had a horrible time trying to pick only one among them.
I have made an effort not to be naturally attracted to the ones that belong to my favourite music styles, and to concentrate instead on composition, musicianship and general feel. I have finally voted for Robert (Bilbo) because once i start listening to it I can't drag myself away. But well done everyone.

I haven't been able to follow the whole of this thread and I'm not sure whether this question has come up already but - why doesn't Basschat create a downloadable album with all the tracks for each month of the composition competition? I for one would love to collect all the tracks from last month and this month (I wasn't aware of the competition before then) and the future ones, and happy to pay for them.

[quote name='Pat Man' timestamp='1354309857' post='1884792']
My first post here! Saw the plug on the BC Twitter. Bit late to the party but better then never eh? Great music being made by all of yous. I'm gonna have to try my hand at this sometime.
[/quote]

Welcome Pat! You still have time to listen to the tracks and vote.

I'm hoping that, if the competition starts to attract more listeners, other companies may come forward and offer other generous prizes like 13 Guitars are doing for this one.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1354310058' post='1884797']
I have finally had time to listen to all the tracks. Well, they are all awesome and I've had a horrible time trying to pick only one among them.
I have made an effort not to be naturally attracted to the ones that belong to my favourite music styles, and to concentrate instead on composition, musicianship and general feel. I have finally voted for Robert (Bilbo) because once i start listening to it I can't drag myself away. But well done everyone.

I haven't been able to follow the whole of this thread and I'm not sure whether this question has come up already but - why doesn't Basschat create a downloadable album with all the tracks for each month of the composition competition? I for one would love to collect all the tracks from last month and this month (I wasn't aware of the competition before then) and the future ones, and happy to pay for them.
[/quote]

i think the plan is to create a cd with the winner from each month on

ive got no issues with my songs being made available for a monthly download if thats what people want to do

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1354310559' post='1884807']
A CD with the winner would be fine, but I would be happier to be able to also refer back to the other tracks taking part in the comp, as there can be only one winner but all of the tracks are of a very high standard, and it would be a shame, in my view, for us listeners to forget about them.
[/quote]

I suppose the legality of samples used and sound bites may need to be considered, some tracks may be open to legal action and I for one am not well up on the laws regarding these things for public use or sale. Dont have a problem myself with the idea, but wouldnt want to get into any legal problems. Someone in the know would need to check things and OK them I suppose. Otherwise we could hit problems. :)

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1354312029' post='1884838']
I suppose the legality of samples used and sound bites may need to be considered, some tracks may be open to legal action and I for one am not well up on the laws regarding these things for public use or sale. Dont have a problem myself with the idea, but wouldnt want to get into any legal problems. Someone in the know would need to check things and OK them I suppose. Otherwise we could hit problems. :)
[/quote]

isn't that only an issue if we sell the music and make money from them? i could be wrong, im not great on legal stuff

IIRC according to the competition rules there shouldn't be any material like samples that requires additional copyright clearance in the compositions in the first place.

Whether you aim to make money from your works or not does not make any difference regarding the use of material to which you don't own the copyright, or have a licence to use.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354315382' post='1884872']...Whether you aim to make money from your works or not does not make any difference regarding the [s]use[/s][b] possession [/b]of material to which you don't own the copyright, or have a licence to use.
[/quote]

...I may be wrong (no expert here...), but I think it's this..^^^

F'IN'ELL! Just got back from up north... thought I was going to be trailing by now but WTF has happened to the scores today?!!!

Gobsmacking amount of votes. My SoundCloud plays have gone crazy too. I ain't complaining about that - seems like Elvis has had a spurt on as well. Must be a load of new sign-ups amongst these voters, unless the BC community has finally come out in force?

Anyway not long to go... I'm putting the kettle on :-)

Of course, it's obvious upon reflection (not my forté, apparently...), but Friday midnight UK time is not the same as Friday midnight in France..! It took me a while to twig why the poll was still running. A real Homer-type 'Doh..!' moment.
Sorry; just biding time 'til the strike of Big Ben. Tenterhooks, eh..? Only a couple of minutes now...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354315382' post='1884872']
IIRC according to the competition rules there shouldn't be any material like samples that requires additional copyright clearance in the compositions in the first place.

Whether you aim to make money from your works or not does not make any difference regarding the use of material to which you don't own the copyright, or have a licence to use.
[/quote]

I have no idea thats if there is or isnt anything that falls under these rules thats why i am asking as far as i am aware there arent but what i am saying is people need to be certain.

Edited by Stephen Houghton

WOW!!…I'm lost for words. Been up for nearly 20 hours today so thoroughly knackered and can't think of anything clever to say other than a MASSIVE THANKS to everyone who voted this week (both times!). A respectful doff of my cap to comrades who took part in the challenge; cheers to Bluejay for plugging the voting on the BC Twitter; Charic for setting all this up in the first place (hope your gig’s going well mate!); and of course Paul at 13 Guitar Co, who I'm looking forward to having a chat with… :-)

Everyone here must know that my track wasn't the best of the bunch in terms of technical skill and musicianship. Not by a long chalk. But it's been the most popular in what ended up as a three horse race - and it'd be good to know why so I can pull it off again!

Anyway… I'm not going to put on a load of fake modesty about the result - I'm stoked! :-) Off to crack open a bottle of something and will be back in the morning - most likely with a headache - to email Charic with a pic for December (who'll probably also have a headache).

Cheers! And thanks again. I feel very honoured, corny as that might sound.

Paul x

Your track was well produced, was linked to the pics and was a catchy number with some good lyrics, sometimes simpler is better, too many ingredients often spoil the broth. Chuffed for you, genuinely, can feel the buzz of you from here and im in Wigan.

Gonna have abeer myself now and watch later with jules

Cheers and well done!

Edited by Stephen Houghton