Why become a member? ×

This should cause a stir

Jimryan

I know if I had the money and storage I'd happily have hundreds. However, these days I only have two. More recently built...well, bought and modded beyond recognition squier P and my OLP 5 string.

I like them both, but do I really need both. I really quite like the idea of one bass. No "what one today" thoughts, just pick up one case and I'm off.

Or perhaps it's finances talking? The extra cash would be handy and yeah, one's 4 and the other's 5, but the 4 has a hipshot fitted and I rarely go below D. I'd like to travel in the future and two would be a pain.

Then again, it is a 5 and it is a very pretty blue sparkle finish, but it is bloody heavy in comparison.

Thoughts?

I want both, don't need both, I like both, I like the idea of just the one.

I'm terribly confused over this.

Edited by Jimryan

Depends. If you are a regular performer in a pub/club band like me, I'd say you need 3 basses. One to play with - one to have as a backup bass (string breakages/electrical fault etc) - and a third bass to use when one of the other two is out of action ..... e.g. when it's with the guitar tech. Might be a handy idea to have a drop D machine head on the backup bass for flexibility.

I'm ignoring when things get more complicated depending on the type of music you play - when you might need a fretless, five string etc.

Hoping to be gigging regularly again shortly. I understand the idea behind having a back up, but I've never taken one or needed one in the past (something will happen now that I've said it). The 5 really isn't essential. I thought I needed one when I got it, but barely used it and its not made it to a rehearsal or gig since its purchase.

This is a question I`ve asked myself a fair bit over the last year or two. I know a few bassists with only one bass, and they`ve never had any trouble.

But, a few weeks ago, I got to a band practice, and my bass wouldn`t work - turns out a solder joint had gone in it. Had I not had two basses, well I would have been in the mire.

So although I love the idea of having just one, as a regular performer two is better. And they`re both the same, so it`s not an excuse for having different basses.

Haha, sorry, was purely to help me decide. My main reason for this is I'm hoping to get about a bit next year and like the idea of one case. A bass, a selection of mooer effects and a micro head and I'm pretty much good to go anywhere. However, for you...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FWIW, I'm on a mission myself: try everything I can get my hands on, and sell everything that I don't love to death. Do all of this before Alzheimer seriously kicks my butt. Be left with one or a few basses that the kids can inherit.

Outside this mission I'm really a one instrument type of guy. Had the very same synth for 3 decades and the same piano module. But I see the reasonability in owning more basses than one, as relayed by others.

best,
bert

I believe I have the magic 3 for my needs.... A 4 string, a 5 string and a fretless. I didn't think I needed the 5 string until I got it... Now I am using it for several songs in our set, although I have never needed to go below the low D but to me having the 5 gives a quicker change than drop tuning and gives me a spare bass just in case.

Your decision mate, but I know I'd keep both!!

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1353620115' post='1876759']
I really quite like the idea of one bass. No "what one today" thoughts, just pick up one case and I'm off.

[/quote]

I agree with this bit - I find that the amount of time I spend thinking about basses is inversely proportional to the amount of time that I spend actually playing the things so I tend to follow the "less is more" principle, although if I were gigging regularly I'd probably invest in a Squier or something for backup.

Edited by tinyd