Why become a member? ×

Ever suddenly realised you've been playing a song incorrectly for 20 years?

leschirons

We had some folks over for dinner last night and as usual, I stuck a selection of background music on the PC. A song came on that I've played for about 20 years in various covers bands and it must have been the first time I'd actually listened properly to the bassline. I was so far out it was untrue.

This was a number that I was convinced I knew well all that time ago and had been positive that I was fairly close (if not spot on) to the original bass. No bandmates over the years had ever said anything

(Just goes to show how much they listen too then :blink: )

I'd like to say that I'd always intentionally played it "my way" but I was convinced I was copying the original bass part and it's not even a difficult number to do either.

Over confident and too cocky I suppose. If anyone had pulled me up on it, in all honesty I probably would have argued the point before checking.

Edited by leschirons

...and what's the problem with that? The originals are put together by one group of players. Why then, can another group of people not interpret it their own way? That's what happens in jazz all the time.

John Entwistle talked about the fans who picked up on him playing one note out of place on the My Generation solo. He recorded it as an improvised solo but because it was on record in some people's minds it has to be played the same all the time.

Why not vary things? Most pop and rock stuff will have come from improvisation anyway. Keep it flexible. Much more fun.

Guilty as charged M'lud.
But unless you're a tribute band, surely evolving 'your' version is better? :happy:

I recall that in Guy Pratt's autobiography he talks about meeting Jimmy Page and how Jimmy put him right over Led Zepp stuff Guy had been playing wrong for years.

Yeah been there, played it 'wrong'. For expediency I'll learn the first verse, chorus and any bridges. However, when I go back for a listen without a bass in my hands I'll hear stuff where it varies from the form I've learnt. If I like what's going on I'll learn these parts, if I feel it doesn't really add anything, I'll stick to mine. A case in point for the former would be backon the chain gang by the pretenders, great bass line with subtle little changes here and there. I play this one as per the original now.

Must admit I like to keep to the original, but in some songs I do add a few bits in here & there - Basket Case by Green Day for example. I`ve never bothered really sitting down and working out MDs exact twiddles, so just put my own in.

Not necessarily. I'll learn the part then usually when I get to putt it together with the band I'll have to change it slightly to fit with either the instrumentation; because we don't have the same line up as the original version, or the lines the others are playing; because we don't have the same players as the original version ;)

For me there's a big difference between; putting your own spin on a track just because you think you know best, and adding or leaving out a few notes to make the line sit better with your band.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1351341433' post='1850299']
Incorrectly? No. Different? Definitely :)

Seen lots of bands do their own stuff "incorrectly" live, too.
[/quote]

I used the word "incorrectly in the post because I thought I was playing as per the original. I have no problem with putting my own spin on a song if it suits the line-up better or I simply prefer what I play or even admittedly, find it easier to do it a different way.

It's just that it came as quite a shock to hear what I'd NOT been doing for 20 yearts when I thought I was :lol:

Glad I'm not alone in this.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1351333951' post='1850167']
Guilty as charged M'lud.
But unless you're a tribute band, surely evolving 'your' version is better? :happy:

I recall that in Guy Pratt's autobiography he talks about meeting Jimmy Page and how Jimmy put him right over Led Zepp stuff Guy had been playing wrong for years.
[/quote]

I understand that when LZ were rehearsing for the O2 gig, they couldn't agree how many of the songs went, and later,in an interview, when the journo asked "Which of you could remember best what to play?" - the answer was 'Jason'! They had to rig his iPod up to the PA I believe, and all have a listen. No-one is immune, clearly.

I depped on bass with some friends who occasionally do a covers set recently and found out that 2 out of every 3 songs they played were totally wrong. I used to wonder why the singer used to sing different melodies from the original version of the song when they played and now I know. I used to think he was 'improvising' in a 'jazz' way but actually what was happening was they were just too lazy to figure out the correct chords for the songs they played and he made the melody up as he went along. Even when I gave them the right chords their attitude was 'well we've played them this way for 10 years, it's too late to change now'.

The really are an awful band. If you ever get the chance to see them live............I probably wouldn't bother.

It's quite important. The band I recently joined played a number of tunes, some chuck berry, status quo, and other tunes with 'standard' 'blues' pattern.

The problem was, every tune had the same pattern. At least it did when they played them, it sounded awful when I played the versions I had learned and played in other bands. As I say there's a difference between making it up because 'it's close enough' and gradually playing something different over time.

Don't think I am much bothered..
If I haven't bothered to listen to an original then it is obviously working to a degree and especially if no one has bothered to mention it.
A classic case would be a Blue Bros type set.... I've played them so often in so many outfits that I don't see the need to refer to a version...
and they have been covered by so many...would you know whose version is defintive...??

If the drummer lays down his thing..then that has more influence on what I will play that the original anyway...??

I am sure I've played a good fews songs and NEVER heard the original...

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1351333849' post='1850162']
...and what's the problem with that?
Why not vary things? Most pop and rock stuff will have come from improvisation anyway. Keep it flexible. Much more fun.
[/quote]

Theres a difference between "interpreting" a song in your own way and being too lazy to even learn the song properly in the first place. When I see a band in a pub and they have got some basic part of the song such as the chords or the bassline clearly wrong because they have just jammed it together and never bothered to actually listen to it, I feel insulted and ripped off (even if I'm not paying, I am there giving the venue my patronage).

I mean FFS how can you not take the time to learn a great bass line like the one from "all right now" properly (if your thinking "I dont remember it being anything special" then your probably one of the people whos never sat down to learn it properly).

I mean we moan about how little respect and recognition bass players get from other musicians and the public in general but what do we expect if we cant demonstrate basic proficiency in learning simple pop bass lines propely.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1351361769' post='1850576']

I mean FFS how can you not take the time to learn a great bass line like the one from "all right now" properly (if your thinking "I dont remember it being anything special" then your probably one of the people whos never sat down to learn it properly).
[/quote]

Indeed, I found the verse so hard, I decided to play cowbell. Which makes everyone look upl when I come in with the chorus.