Why become a member? ×

Anyone else like really skinny strings?

Angel

I have Status 30-90 on my bass and I absolutely love them. I kind of feel a bit of a heathen using them as they are soooo dead skinny, but the feel just seems to suit my style. I originally went for very light gauge as I get a lot of finger pain with the nails on a couple of my fingers often pulling away from the nail-bed, very painful! The lighter strings seems to help.

Anyone else go that narrow?

Almost as skinny, Stadium Elites 35 - 95 on my fretted and fretless basses. I've never managed to get on with anything heavier.
I've found the 35 gauge G string works especially well on the fretless. Anything heavier and the subtle fretless sound starts to disappear.

I would love to try a set of flats but they just don't come in light gauges unfortunately.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1350941593' post='1845484']
Nope, can't stand 'em personally! Always use standard 45-105's. But it's whatever feels best for you.
[/quote]

+1. Don't mind the feel of light strings, but the tone always seems lacking to me,

Yep, used to love Rotos at 30, maybe 35 - 90 tops. One problem I found was the 'E' would go sharp easily if hit hard. My old Jaydee was a feather touch to play with these, and easy to bend notes etc.

Less fussy now, a few sets of cheap 40s knocked it out of me and the priority now is a warm tone. Just getting used to a set of Newtones, the 38s but would till not go beyond 40s (may stretch to their 42s which have a 96 E but would prefer not to).

Same here. In the old days to get more volume meant playing harder! I now find it impossible to use anything lighter than 45-105 with a high action without getting loads of fret buss.

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1350978711' post='1845668']
I'm far too heavy-handed for light strings.
Been using 50-110s for a while but if I could find a heavier 4-string set easily I'd probably use those.
[/quote]

Edited by deanovw

[quote name='Martin E' timestamp='1350946010' post='1845554']

I would love to try a set of flats but they just don't come in light gauges unfortunately.
[/quote]

They do actually. TI (Thomastik/infeld) jazz flats are the lowest tension (and have a light gauge) flat out there AFAIK.

They are expensive but worth it IMO.

[url="http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/RAPRD/Thomastik-JF344-Jazz-Flat/11001621.html"]http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/RAPRD/Thomastik-JF344-Jazz-Flat/11001621.html[/url]

As for string gauges, I am quite happy with 45-105.

All my basses are strung through the body, and I use hex cored stainless steels. So they're stiffer than 'normal' strings at the same gauge on 'normal' basses. I flirted with heavier gauges, but after putting .125s on my 5 string and it sounding/feeling rather nice, I'm considering lightening up a bit! :)

• 2 weeks later...