Why become a member? ×

Sometimes I wish I didn't live in a flat...

Evil Undead

I would love to be able to play my bass through my amp when I'm at home, I get so much more enjoyment out of hearing my bass out loud rather than through headphones.

But, I live on the top floor of an apartment building, and don't think my neighbours would be very pleased :(

Is there anything I can put under my cab to absorb any sound or vibrations going through the floor? Or is that a silly question? :D

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1350563310' post='1840518']
but if I got a guitar out the [b]Jazz police[/b] would be round before I'd tuned it.
[/quote]
:D

Would the Gramma Pad help?
[/quote]
Maybe even just putting the cab on a bed might help.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1350562815' post='1840507']
Do you have access to the roof . . . ;)
[/quote]

I'm afraid not :(

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1350563040' post='1840514']
I use either a Roland Micro Cube or more recently a Roland JC-50 combo. Never had any complaints from the neighbours (some from my girlfriend though), but then again it's a solidly built 1930s apartment block.
[/quote]

I sympathise. I used to live in a flat. The kids upstairs were allowed to run around and thump through the ceiling all night & day, but if I got a guitar out the police would be round before I'd tuned it.

Would the Gramma Pad help?
[/quote]
[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1350562077' post='1840496']
You dont have to play it loud yer know, I play through the amp and its no higher than a normal stereo system and nobody ever complains. Unless of course you want to do a '[u]Back to the future'[/u] on it!! :lol:
[/quote]

I used to live in the flat downstairs, and unfortunately, you could hear a mouse fart through the floorboards. I used to be able to hear the guy who used to live in my current flat snoring at night.

I thought of the gramma pad... wonder how I could find out if it would do the trick?

Edited by Evil Undead

It's not just a problem with flats - if you live in a terraced house it's the same.
The best place I ever lived for being able to play was a flat actually - it had a solid concrete floor & underneath was a library that was only open a few hours a day. No neighbours on either side too, it was fantastic.

I can't remember the last time I played through an amp at home, which is another reason why I've just sold it.

I remember doing a rehearsal in a council flat in south London years ago. It was right in the middle of an estate, right in the middle of a block. Full band rehearsal with loud drummer. The owner/tenant had even turned the kitchen in to a control room for recording purposes. Glad i wasn't one of his neighbours.

In my last flat where I had upstairs neighbours the landlord had put acoustic insulation between the floors and we never heard a dickie bird from them. When they moved out they said 'Oh we won't be annoying you with our loud music any more' and I was surprised because I'd never heard a thing.

Would probably cost a couple hundred quid to sort out your bass-playing room though. :/

I only got one complaint in 4 years in a top floor flat. I got compliments on my playing from people down the road though :lol:

Elevate the cab but don't use something rigid, if you can feel the bass through the floor they'll be able to hear it more. (hey that rhymes :lol:)

I ended up having a 2 cab system and only using the top one at home but I know you're downsizing at the mo. The other option is to get some good monitors if you have a fairly good DI / computer :)

I came home from work once to find my son having a band practise in his room; he's the drummer :unsure:
The bassist had his small rig going; it was still loud but the vibration he'd dealt with by stacking all of the cushions off the two couches and putting the amp on top, a bit precarious but it worked to a fair point.

I live in a first-floor maisonette. I never play earleir than 10am, and no later than 9.30pm. When the people downstairs moved in, I told them I play bass/guitar, and that if it was ever too loud to just let me know, and that it wouldn`t offend me.

To date, they never have, and my playing is probably no louder than their continual laughter when watching tv, or their closing (think slamming) doors.

It`s all give & take. So long as it`s not overbearingly loud, or at unscociable times, there shouldn`t be a problem.

Like Lozz says, it's just give and take. Hopefully your neighbours will be as considerate as you obviously are. Presumably you have a stereo of some kind and play music on that. If you keep the bass amp down to a similar level, keep your playing to sociable hours and maybe take some precautionary measures to isolate vibrations you'll probably be ok.

I forget how fortunate I am. I have my own house, terraced semi detatched, My neighbour has a drum kit and we operate on a live and let live basis. It's only a shame she can't play it better.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I thought of the gramma pad... wonder how I could find out if it would do the trick?[/font][/color][/quote]

have a word with Alex Claber (on here) he gave me some of the same foam that Gramma Pad use when I bought my Super T - he might still have some or be able to tell you where you can get some a lot cheaper than an Auralex. If I can remember where the hell I've put mine you;re more than welcome to it

small amps can help - i use a behringer thunderfunk for most of my home practice, and its tiny speaker doesn't exactly pump out the low end !

and as others have said, some kind of foam does help - i have a bit of upholstery foam i found in the street which seems to help if i want a bit more volume.

i've never had any complaints about my bass - i put this down to being sensible with volume.

or as we used to call it...consideration

[quote name='Bassdriver' timestamp='1350569565' post='1840641']
I forget how fortunate I am. I have my own house, terraced semi detatched, My neighbour has a drum kit and we operate on a live and let live basis. It's only a shame she can't play it better.
[/quote]

Do you Jam throught the walls? :)

I've always lived next to noisy kids who play dance music all night long (no matter where i move to apparently) so we take it as read that we cannot complain about each others noise. It is good.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1350573311' post='1840748']
Do you Jam throught the walls? :)

I've always lived next to noisy kids who play dance music all night long (no matter where i move to apparently) so we take it as read that we cannot complain about each others noise. It is good.
[/quote]

I'd take my gear next door and jam there if she was any good. Sadly though she's not.

Simply this-my next door neighbours-I live in a semi,play recorders and sing,I play Bass,my son plays drums-I dont play beyond 10pm,he doesnt play after 7.30pm.
they dont bother me,I dont bother them-we have been doing this for over 20 odd years never had a complaint.
Not a problem. <_<