Why become a member? ×

Post gig downers

Low End Bee

I always enjoy the back seat expert, with some tenuous connection to the business. Like, we'd had some problems with feedback in the first set, but sorted it quickly and the rest of the gig was fine. "You should use SM58s" says the landlord, whose brother in law was a roadie for Showaddywaddy or something, as we're leaving. "You never get feedback with SM58s."

Unfortunately I'd packed away the 2 SM58s we'd been using all evening and I couldn't be bothered to get them out.

I've been arrested after a gig twice in my time. Once was a case of mistaken identity that was sorted out on the way to the station, and the other time was for suspected drink driving.

The second time was very embarrassing. They stopped me from leaving the pub xarpark and breathalyser me (which I failed). I honestly did not expect that as I had I only had a single bottle of beer all evening! Anyway they took me down to the station abandoning my girlfriend who had drunk too much and didn't have any money (I was going ballistic at the officers because of this) and it was purely by chance that someone we knew was strolling by and offered to walk her home. Had to leave all my gear in the pub carpark as the landlord made some silly excuse that I couldn't leave my gear in the pub and collect it the next day.

So I got to the station and passed the second breathalyser but decided to keep me in for 4 hours for no reason. Had to walk home in the pissing rain because I didn't have any money.

That was a real downer! We'd played a storming gig, great atmosphere; probably the best gig we'd played so far. It was awesome. And there I was 5 hours later looking like a drowned rat!

Truckstop

Guy in the audience spends half the first set staring at the headstock of my bass.

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Basses%20CURRENT/Alleva%20Coppolo%20KBP5%202009%20CURRENT/DSCF3845.jpg[/IMG]

Comes up to me at the break ...[i] "'Ere mate, is that a Peavey?".[/i]

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1349861035' post='1831325']
they took me down to the station abandoning my girlfriend... .Had to leave all my gear in the pub carpark... decided to keep me in for 4 hours for no reason. Had to walk home in the pissing rain... I didn't have any money.

[/quote]

Ouch, that's about as bad as it gets.

Though someone did tell a tale here about having to abandon the rented van having driven it into a river and put bullet holes in it...

I had someone approach me after a show congratulating the band on plying thin lizzys jailbreak.
He told us that he appreciated it especially since he was in the band for a little while.
At this point I'm wondering since he doesn't look like anyone I recognise.
He buys us all a drink and whispers in my ear that he is actually midge ure.
This guy was easily twice the size of midge, and was totally bald.
We all laughed along until we left and had the 'can you believe it!' talk outside

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1349862566' post='1831352']Though someone did tell a tale here about having to abandon the rented van having driven it into a river and put bullet holes in it...[/quote]

If that was our rented van you're talking about then we didn't abandon it - we towed it back to the rental place on a trailer in the end. I suppose we temporarily abandoned it when it was on its roof in the river, but we did get it towed out, and before daylight, and the cops never knew it had been crashed. :)

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1349786138' post='1830474']A polish chap who's been to a few of our gigs some time apart came up to us after a gig.
"This time the drums sounded much bigger. You're bass is ****ing heavy now." Looks at guitarist speaks in monotone "You. You were the same as last time."[/quote]

I love this one. It wouldn't be so funny if I didn't get to give him an eastern European accent in my head, so thanks for that detail. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1349861433' post='1831331']
Guy in the audience spends half the first set staring at the headstock of my bass.
Comes up to me at the break ...[i] "'Ere mate, is that a Peavey?".[/i]
[/quote]

Don't feel down, your bass may not be a Peavey, but it's probably [i]nearly[/i] as good. :lol:

E (happy Milestone III owner)

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1349862917' post='1831358']
I had someone approach me after a show congratulating the band on plying thin lizzys jailbreak.
He told us that he appreciated it especially since he was in the band for a little while.
We all laughed along until we left and had the 'can you believe it!' talk outside
[/quote]

http://www.geocities.ws/dudgeandfougal/viz.html

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1349862917' post='1831358']
[/quote]

Yeah I heard Fish forgets who he is after a few :)

loads I suppose - most recently I remember being spoken to by a gobby, brash, middle-aged woman on a night out.

GBMAW - " your in the band, ah seen yeh, so ah did!"

Me - " Yes, you were dancing right in front of me, waving your knickers in the air"

GBMAW - " Whit? You being cheeky?"

Me - " Wee , bit!"

GBMAW - " Well, you look like Fred Flinstone!!"

Me " More like Barney Rubble, I'd say"

GBMAW " You're at it - you actually look more like Danny De Vito!!!"

Me - spits out pint - goes away in a huff.

I Mean, Danny DeFeckin' Vito!!!! That's harsh. I am over five feet tall!

I did a gig with Jim Mullen years ago, a real chance to work with a top player.

The fanatasy outcome was 'Jim is stunned by my playing and offers me a regular gig or, at least, walks off into the sunset telling all of his professional peers 'that Rob Palmer is a great, great player'.

The real ending. As he was leaving he thanked the other rhythm section players by name, shook my hand and said 'Nice one, [b]ROD[/b]'

First gig at a dive in Reading. Punky band but with my hair"style" I still look like Hair from the Hair Bear Bunch. Band outnumbers crowd (3 mum dad & [i]probably[/i] daughter), who appear to be expecting a WMC type band.

First set ends.

Crowd: "You're all a bunch of punks!!"
Us: "If you say so"
Short break whilst they dredged up a response to that,

which was

"If you're punks, why's he got a w*gs haircut" :huh:

Nice. Funnily enough we didn't go back.

While being surrounded by people saying how much they liked the gig the landlady came over. They all say to her: 'best band we've ever had' 'great night' etc etc.
she replies with 'they were entertaining I suppose but the singer was crap, I hated his voice'

I'm the singer. I was stood right there and she knew it. !
Rude and a downer!

Because i want to unwind, maybe grab something to eat, watch a bit of TV when i get in, not chat or be told its late and we should go to bed (to sleep, nothing else).
Im not knocking her, just that i like to be left along when i get in, especially if ive been travelling for a few hours.