Why become a member? ×

Bassists, Unsung Heroes?

Themrperson

I was blagged into playing bass by a mate for an acoustic duo which quickly turned into a trio, I now study music, I am learning to read the dots and practice much more with bass than I ever did with guitar and basically rediscovered my love of music through the bass. I wish I had made the switch from guitar years before. The other two can pull off an acoustic gig with 2 acoustic guitars if I can't make it but they have to admit it's not the same without the low end.

I do have to shamefully admit to a bout of foot on monitor posturing even though I'm 50 bald and overweight but some mates from work were there who were pissed and it was a good laff. Just for a second I was a ROCK GOD. :D

I think if you're just playing roots, following the guitar, have the standard "thumpy" tone etc... Well, you are pretty un-noticable. The guitarist might as well stick an octave pedal on. And your job is easy.

I'd say at least 80% of bassists fit the above bill, so that's the reputation all bassists get. I don't mind :)

I don't regard myself as a hero but I know exactly what the OP means and 'unsung hero' is a well-understood figure of speech. I've been proud to be a bass player for over fifty years now, still average two gigs a week and couldn't think of anything better. I am strictly backline but I have the satisfaction of being the engine room that gives the band its drive and unique sound. I usually get two solos a gig and that's all I need. Louis Armstrong once said that if you're forming a new band always get the right bass player first before any of the other musicians. All bass players should treasure that sentiment.

I have a drunken theory about this that I normally rant on about when I've had a few jars (and it gets very crude- I'll do my best to keep it clean).

Apologies lady members if this sounds chauvanistic, but it's tied in with the question "why do bass players never get the girl?"

In my opinion, it is the low bass notes that move the air most, that gets the crowd's body moving, and make women's intimate parts rumble (as per the Howard Stern movie).

However, non muso's don't understand this, so when the females look up lustfully, they see a guitarist on his knees shredding away or a charismatic front man and think it must be them causing their feelings. I think front men and guitarists owe us more than they realise.

Either that or I'm just making excuses because I'm a ginger fat b*****d....

My perceived level of importance of members in ANY band

FrontMan/Vocalist - 50% (Maybe 40%)
Band - 50% (Maybe 60%)

I don't play bass to be more or less important than the rest of the band, at the end of the day the band functions as a unit and fails or prevails together.

Unsung ?
yes definitely .....but I like being a bass player for that very reason.
You need a good strength of character to not look for the acceptance of the crowd, you do what you do well & feel good about yourself because of it. In my book short term glory cannot be compared to quite competence.

over the years whenever I have been confronted with the "Ho you play bass ? your not a musician" I instantly switch to the "Aww bless you, you don't know much about music....." then go on to patronise them making out that they don't really notice something as important as the thing on there face where their nostrils are.
It's very funny how many people "Like music" but know nothing about it.

Once I was told that a bass player is not important, I replied "So why does every good band have one?" they didn't have a clue what to say to that.

I hope we continue to be under appreciated, it's great playing music & not having the ego, glamour and BS that gets in the way of what you are doing.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1348173542' post='1810523']
Sometimes I drop out in the middle of songs, just to see how long it takes for the other members of the band to figure out why they sound sh*t all of a sudden.
[/quote]

or if they are all dithering and farting about take the initiative and just start playing and let them all come in - i did this one time when the drummer and bandleader couldnt organise a pissup in a brewery and decide what was the next song and who was counting in so i just started playing - the brief fleeting look of panic on their faces was priceless - you can get away with it quite often especially if its the sort of thing where it sounds ok and the punters wouldnt realise anyway - something like valerie or gimme some lovin town called malice etc etc

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1348212018' post='1810771']
Yep, a few months ago I damaged my arm/wrist, so at one gig our singer (who plays guitar) played bass. He said afterwards how difficult it was, and that he still viewed it as an instrument that went boom in the background, but now realised that keeping that boom where it`s meant to be is a lot more difficult than it seems. He also said that I make it look so easy, which is I suppose a compliment.
[/quote]
I've been fortunate enough to have that experience too. My band seems to understand what I contribute and it's amazing how quickly things fall to bits if/when I stop playing or (on rare ocassion) have had a gear-related 'moment'.

I don't worry about stuff like this because I long since realised that your average joe or joanne knows very little about music and particularly the way it's made - and they don't want to know, They're happily ignorant.

I could get upset about that or I could get on with what I'm doing and to hell with them. I choose the latter.

Respect only your audience's reaction to what you do - don't make the mistake of ever respecting their knowledge or judgement. Not ever.

I also think that many bass players revel in being the down trodden forgotten man who stands at the back. They like to moan about their lot while blaming others for putting them down. I've no respect for that either.

Edited by Dr.Dave

As a salesman in a music store, the most popular phrase is: 'I fancy learning bass, as I've been told it's easier to learn than guitar.'

As the bass player in our band, I've had people say they enjoyed the show and have asked if I did, too. They didn't realise I was playing.

If you choose to play bass, you must expect to be invisible. You choose to do your job, which is to basically hold the band together. Try stopping playing half way through a song and see the band and audience reaction.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1348250017' post='1811504']
Much truth in what has been said...what hasn't been said is how good a band is WITHOUT a bassist...imagine what dance music would be without us!!

Drum and bass would just be, well, er... drum..
[/quote]

Careful what you wish for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luwp5iZD8wQ&playnext=1&list=PLAE3A8471DB3D5F6C&feature=results_video

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1348257882' post='1811633']
As the bass player in our band, I've had people say they enjoyed the show and have asked if I did, too. They didn't realise I was playing.

If you choose to play bass, you must expect to be invisible. You choose to do your job, which is to basically hold the band together. Try stopping playing half way through a song and see the band and audience reaction.
[/quote]

Very true Pete, that`s happened to me a few times. In all honesty, the invisibility rather suits me and my personality, I`ve done lead gtr/lead vocs, and being the centre of attention is not really me.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1348250099' post='1811505']
I also think that many bass players revel in being the down trodden forgotten man who stands at the back. They like to moan about their lot while blaming others for putting them down. I've no respect for that either.
[/quote]

Good point, I like to take the p*ss about no-one noticing me, but as my post above, it rather suits me, and I find it more than a little funny.

I only play covers now (duck) and I get the best of both, regardless which band im with

Some songs require very subtle basslines, and others are songs which are built around a prominent up front bass part

Yes I agree alot of punters dont understand the bass, but there are always a bunch of people who do love if not know music in every functions crowd

Just enjoy your music, thats that

I started bass, not because I thought it would be easier than anything else, but because I always picked out basslines for as long back as I remember when I heard music

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1348250099' post='1811505']
[/quote]
Very true.
I've never been the kind of player that does that.Even if you are playing simply it doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't be as
much of a personality of the rest of the band.It's the same with the actual playing-you can still be a busy,upfront player while
still fulfilling the 'traditional' role of the bass player.
Like I said earlier the the thought of the bassist being an 'unsung hero' or whatever is all too often bought on by the players
themselves.