Why become a member? ×

Why haven't they made?

Low End Bee

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1347611999' post='1802963']
I'll start off with.

A portable Tech 21 Class D amp. Unless it was stupid money I'd buy one like a shot.
[/quote]

All they need do is make some kind of killer poweramp, with a slot just right to fit a character series pedal into.

Class D, pick your prefreed voicing, have a couple, swap between Ampeg, Orange, Marshall etc in seconds. Sw***y.

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1347634362' post='1803396']
All they need do is make some kind of killer poweramp, with a slot just right to fit a character series pedal into.

Class D, pick your prefreed voicing, have a couple, swap between Ampeg, Orange, Marshall etc in seconds. Sw***y.
[/quote]
[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1347633466' post='1803372']
I agree on the Class D Tech 21 lightweight amp. Why don't they just make something LM2/3 size and go from there?! All it needs is the front panel to have the VT bass/Sansamp controls plus a mute and a few extras. Combine it with some clever engineering and a quality power module, and there we go!
[/quote]

Yup, splendid ideas!

I can't figure out why Peavey haven't produced a decent class D based microhead too. Weren't they at the forefront of getting super small power amps on the market? Well 1u ones anyway.
I loved my Peavey gear when I had it, for a solid state setup it sounded bloody marvellous, was just a little bit heavy.

Would love to see a Peavey Microhead and matching 1x12 cabs.

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1347634767' post='1803404']
Excellent idea. I'll add a hydrogen filled 8x10 - even lighter than the helium version and capable of some 'explosive' low end, particularly if exposed to naked flames....
[/quote]

Filling the cab with Hydrogen only reduces the weight by another 30g over the Helium version...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1347638372' post='1803498']
Filling the cab with Hydrogen only reduces the weight by another 30g over the Helium version...
[/quote]

Yes but the effect of a spark jumping a gap internally is much more interesting with Hydrogen. Wonder if The Who ever thought of this ? Or better still Rammstein !

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1347631978' post='1803336']
uh?

Surely if there's a vacuum inside it'll just suck the cones up against the magnets and they can only move forwards?

What's the problem it's trying to solve?
[/quote]
no idea, i don't think the force will be that large though, it's sealed- so the force inwards is the airpressure on the cones from the outside. I guess it means that the back of the cones arn't moving anything so no need for porting or anything? No idea! intrigued now

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1347621323' post='1803102']
[url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/video/2012/aug/23/star-wars-hover-bike-float-video"]http://www.guardian....ike-float-video[/url]
[/quote]
That's fabulous! I think I'll buy one for my forthcoming trip to the Pennines.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1347654970' post='1803761']

That's fabulous! I think I'll buy one for my forthcoming trip to the Pennines.
[/quote]

If that's a prototype speeder then 30s in here must be the prototype of the AT-AT/AT-ST. The future is now, people!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19169023

BB

ps I know Star Wars wasn't set in the future but you know what I mean ;-)

Edited by BarnacleBob

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1347635721' post='1803424']
Yup, splendid ideas!

I can't figure out why Peavey haven't produced a decent class D based microhead too. Weren't they at the forefront of getting super small power amps on the market? Well 1u ones anyway.
I loved my Peavey gear when I had it, for a solid state setup it sounded bloody marvellous, was just a little bit heavy.

Would love to see a Peavey Microhead and matching 1x12 cabs.
[/quote]
Peavey have had the Headliner available in the US for a couple of years, although with a standard rack width it's not really a microhead. And in true Peavey fashion it's a bit heavier than most other class D amps as well. :)

I don't think the new TNT is available over here either.

[list]
[*]A lightweight 1x15+horn wedge cab for bass.
[*]A successor to the Akai SB1 Deep Impact with a USB interface and editing software
[*]A better sliding pickup design.
[*]A quick release neck design.
[*]A graphite neck that is dead straight but doesn't sound brittle.
[/list]
There are probably more that I'll think of later.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1347669827' post='1803962'][list]
[*]A lightweight 1x15+horn wedge cab for bass.
[*]A successor to the Akai SB1 Deep Impact with a USB interface and editing software
[*]A better sliding pickup design.
[*]A quick release neck design.
[*]A graphite neck that is dead straight but doesn't sound brittle.
[/list]
There are probably more that I'll think of later.
[/quote]

1. Don't know about this but I am pretty convinced that speaker diameter is the least important factor in the sound of a cab.

2. Agreed, but lets have a proper interface rather than USB. What's wrong with MIDI?

3. Better than what? Gibson Grabber, Westone Rail, Spalt vViper?

4. Isn't there already someone doing this with a combination dovetail joint and a single bolt.

5. You probably need to try an Enfield bass with one of Simon Farmers graphite skinned necks.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1347693931' post='1804012']
1. Don't know about this but I am pretty convinced that speaker diameter is the least important factor in the sound of a cab.[/quote]
I prefer the sound of single cones. Cleaner attack.
2. Agreed, but lets have a proper interface rather than USB. What's wrong with MIDI? [/quote]
USB is a proper interface. No reason why both aren't possible.
3. Better than what? Gibson Grabber, Westone Rail, Spalt vViper?[/quote]
Alembic had the most elegant design. But the technology is available now to dispense with slots and indentations in the bass.
4. Isn't there already someone doing this with a combination dovetail joint and a single bolt.[/quote]
No idea.
5. You probably need to try an Enfield bass with one of Simon Farmers graphite skinned necks.[/quote]
Maybe, I've had email conversations with Simon in the past. His necks aren't different to Status in construction.
I don't like the look of Enfield basses though.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1347628912' post='1803273']
I did say that my calculations were rough. I didn't allow for the thickness of the cab material (just took the outside dimensions), the fact that the cab isn't a basic six-sided object but has two wedge shaped cutouts at the back which reduce the overall volume, not did I factor in the reduction in internal cab volume due to space occupied by the speakers and any other items inside the cab, so 350g is somewhat optimistic!
[/quote]

I've been going over and over this and can't get the weight loss at more than 327 grammes...............

And would the helium not make the bass sound all tinny with no balls :D

I would also like to see a sealed 8 x 10 Ampeg refrigerator filled with sand - I've heard that Abbey Road studios used a big speaker cabinet with an 18 in speaker ballasted with sand for bass guitar recording purposes in the early 60s - apart from increasing the weight hugely I'm not entirely sure what effect this will have, but as it's based on a vintage idea it must be good eh?? :unsure: :P

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1347656277' post='1803786']
Peavey have had the Headliner available in the US for a couple of years, although with a standard rack width it's not really a microhead. And in true Peavey fashion it's a bit heavier than most other class D amps as well. :)

I don't think the new TNT is available over here either.
[/quote]

Yup, knew about that one, not a proper microhead by my reckoning though.
I've just been feeling a little nostalgic for my ol' 2 x 4x10 Peavey rig I used to have a while back.
No way I would ever really need anything like that again, or want to carry it up and down from the loft by myself!

You're right, Peavey have a couple of very nice looking tilt back 1x15 combos, 300 and 600 watt I think, TNT and TKO, but they're not available here, tried to order some for a pal who set up a rehearsal studio recently and nobody in the UK could get hold of them, seem the UK distribution is a bit lacking on the Peavey front these days...

Eude

The lighter gas would mess with the cab tuning, better using sulphur hexafluoride in a smaller cab, its a big mollecule so won't leak out easily, is inert, and will make a sealed cab sound lower for its size. Main issue is air pressure variation, usually even in a sealed cab the cones are porous enough to equalise pressure inside and out.

A small portable digital computer in the form of a stompbox, that could be connected to a PC (or one of those funny Apple things, god forbid) via USB and could load VST's and apply them to your signal in real-time. Basically so you could incorporate VST plug-ins into your live rig. One day, hopefully.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1347895012' post='1806279']
A small portable digital computer in the form of a stompbox, that could be connected to a PC (or one of those funny Apple things, god forbid) via USB and could load VST's and apply them to your signal in real-time. Basically so you could incorporate VST plug-ins into your live rig. One day, hopefully.
[/quote]

You mean like [url=http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/v-machines/v-machine]this[/url] or [url=http://www.museresearch.com/products/index.php]this[/url] or [url=http://digitech.com/en-US/products/istomp]this[/url]?